• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing GAP-10 - Rebarrel or replace with Complete upper?

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    Hi all, I have an early Gen 1 (2014/15) GAP-10 in .308 that has frankly been disappointing in both function and accuracy since I got it. I had to replace the bolt with a JP high pressure bolt to get it to function normally. Now it functions fine, but the accuracy has not been up to what I would consider the GAP hype standards. I want to have a gas gun in a 6 or 6.5mm caliber anyway, so it makes sense to either rebarrel or replace the whole upper.

My plan is to buy a barrel or a complete upper from JP. I put one of their precision barrels in an AR-15 and it's a bughole shooter. So I would assume their large bore rifle barrels or uppers would be of equal quality and precision. I've done plenty of mods and rebarreling in AR-15s but never on an AR-10 platform. My questions are:

1. If I go with just the barrel - is this something that I can get good results DIY or is this better to send to a big name gunsmith to do right?
    2. Are there any potential compatibility issues with the GAP upper receiver with a JP barrel? I *think* the early uppers were POF and it uses a standard PMAG. But I know there are a lot compatibility issues with all the non-standard AR-10 platforms out there.

Appreciate the help and any insights or advice.

You might be better off selling the rifle and getting a JP or whatever else floats your boat. GA precision has a great reputation and it should hold its value well. I don’t know what pattern they use as far as parts compatibility.