• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP 10 VS the noob (me)

Glock30

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2011
NH
Im a distance shooting new guy.
I shot alot of pistol and alot of .223 @ 100 yards but have never shot over 100.
The club I belong to has a 600 yard range with positions at 100/200/300/500/600 where they hold matches.
I have fired one rifle that is bigger than a .223 and thats a lever 3030 that I rarely shoot.

OK now that you have a brief back story, here is my question.

would getting a GAP10 in .308 be way a waste of money right now?
Should I start with a off the shelf rem700 bolt to hone distance skills first?

OR do I just get the GAP10 and have something to grow into over the years?

Thanks

Re: GAP 10 VS the noob (me)

Why don't you try shooting your .223 out to 600 yds? That would be a good way to tell if you would want a GAP AR10 (semi auto) or a bolt gun, as well as give you a taste of long range shooting in general.

Sounds like you wanna compete at 600 yards?

I would probably keep shooting my 223 and study the wind.

Which caliber would you compete with?

Yes, in my opinion, a really nice gun would be a waste right now.

Your current 223 with a bunch of ammo and a spotting scope would be on my list

Owning a GAP rifle is never a waste of money. You are buying quality.
But, you cant go wrong with a 700 heavy barrel and a decent scope set up. It will take you far down the road and there is always someone that will buy it for a decent price later.

Check out the price of a new 700 set up and then start looking here and other places like gb.

Good Luck and Have FUN!

I don't have a GAP-10, but I have an AR-10, several AR-15's and .308 bolt guns. If you are in my area I would be happy to let you shoot them and discuss what would be the next step for you.

I will say that shooting a AR10 or any of the .308 ARs are a bit different than an AR15.

If you want a GAP-10 then go for it. However your AR15 will be quite sufficient for target shooting to 600 yards. You may have some issues with steel at that range. If you are on a budget you will get more value out of a bolt gun.

I have a spotting scope ( 20-60x60 ) and a shitload of .223 ammo :]
I do want to compete eventually so Im wondering if training with a .223 would be counter productive.... not that I couldnt use a .223 for compeating but from what I have been reading about ballistics I think I want to switch to the .308 . I know the .308 isnt the best round out but I like the idea that its cheap and easy to reload.

The GAP 10 just looks so badass and I want one.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a spotting scope ( 20-60x60 ) and a shitload of .223 ammo :]
I do want to compete eventually so Im wondering if training with a .223 would be counter productive.... not that I couldnt use a .223 for compeating but from what I have been reading about ballistics I think I want to switch to the .308 . I know the .308 isnt the best round out but I like the idea that its cheap and easy to reload.

</div></div>

I suggest sticking with a .223 for now as well, spend the money on the best optics you can stomach. Then when the .223 starts holding you back, buy a GAP-10 and put the nice glass you already purchased for your .223 on it. If you're shooting distance only you should go with the 6.5Creedmore with a 22" barrel. Hornady makes great ammo and 6.5CM ammo is just slightly more than match .308 ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a spotting scope ( 20-60x60 ) and a shitload of .223 ammo :]

</div></div>

I suggest sticking with a .223 for now as well, spend the money on the best optics you can stomach. Then when the .223 starts holding you back, buy a GAP-10 and put the nice glass you already purchased for your .223 on it. If you're shooting distance only you should go with the 6.5Creedmore with a 22" barrel. Hornady makes great ammo and 6.5CM ammo is just slightly more than match .308 ammo. </div></div>

That sounds like a good plan. HMMMMM Now I need to figure out glass
I still really want the GAP10 though

Thanks everyone.

You will never waste you money when you purchase quality, scope or rifle it doesn't matter. So if you have the money to burn and want a GAP 308 then get one but you will need a quality scope regardless so remember to set money aside for that.

As for the question of bolt or gas gun it really depends on you. Either one requires good fundamentals to shoot well but the gas gun requires better consistency in your form. Also seeing you already shoot a gas gun I think you would pick up pretty quick.

I think the first question should be what kind of competitions do they hold? Are we talking NRA/CMP service rifle, F-Class or F/TR, tactical rifle, BR, what? I wouldn't want you to get all rigged up only to realize your rifle is not allowed.