• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

GAP-10 vs Wilson 308

David4570

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I am still fantasizing and deciding on my 1st semi-308 purchase and have been lusting over the GAP-10, primarily because of the info gathered here. However, I have been a fan of Wilsons 1911 workmanship for years and have followed the introduction of their 308 (Recon Tacticals?), but little info is here or elsewhere, so....

Do any of you have personal experience with the Wilson 308 line of rifles and can compare the following to the GAP-10s:
Accuracy
Reliability (especially with a can - mine is an AAC 7.62 SDN6 I think are the numbers)
Durability
Customer service and support
Build/delivery time
Fit and Finish
Features
Other?

Thanks for any input.

I can't speak to the GAP-10, but currently own a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical in 308 Win and another in 6.5CM. I also have a Recon Tactical in 5.56 and 458 SOCOM. I own a number of Wilson Combat's 1911s, along with a few of their 1911 hybrids like the SpecOps 9 and their new EDC X9.

Obviously I am a fan. The 308 Recon Tactical has a 14.7" barrel but is very accurate out to steel at 800 yards. Best groups running FGMM 168gr ammo was just above .6" for five shots at 100 yards. It has handled anything I have fed it from match ammo to Freedom Munitions reman stuff. Round count is 800 rounds.

6.5CM has an 18" barrel but I've only had it for three weeks and shot 80 rounds through it. All indications are that this one is a shooter. I've run both Prime Ammo and Hornady ELD through it and both shoot under 3/4".

Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but Wilson Combat has exceptional customer service and support. Recently had an issue with my SpecOps 9 not locking to the rear after last round fired. WC sent me five magazine springs at no cost to me to correct issue. ALways been very responsive and supportive, no matter how stupid of a question I might have.

Take a look at their shopwilsoncombat.com website. These are ready to ship items and unless you are looking for a very specific build, they might have exactly what you are looking for. Fit and finish on the ARs is the same as you see on their 1911s.

Their stuff is pricey and interesting debate whether WC's AR are significantly better than other 308 AR builders. Number of good ones out there and expect "eye of the beholder" applies.

Thanks Marine24, I am a little familiar with Wilson 45s as I have handled and shot a couple and I know their Supergrade models are really something to behold from a 1911 perspective.
I have read a couple reviews of their 308 Recon and they seem impressive, as do the GAP-10s from a couple positive reviews, BUT I have never seen/read a credible comparison.

So, please compare if you've got some experience with both

Can't speak of the Wilson, but the gap 10 is super accurate. I've only shot 3, 5 shot groups with the best group being between around .3 inches and the worst .6
inches. That's using a bipod as well.

One thing about the gap gap is that it can be a little bit finicky with Ammo. So you'll need to find the loads the rifle prefers and stock that up, if you aren't reloading.

you can find them on the hide reasonably priced. Especially the gen 1. I just sold mine here, because I needed cash for house projects and have too many guns. I would buy one again though.

I have the Gen 1 Gap 10 in .308 and it is a hammer period the end. I have actually been thinking about selling it due to a recent 6.5 saum purchase. I love this rifle and anyone I've ever had shoot it hammers with it out to 1000 yards. I usually shoot 175 FGMM or 175 Prime whitch is redicoulasly accurate. Never shot the Wilson, but my Gap 10 is a hammer.

While it isn't in .308, I have had my GAP-10G2 for about a year now and couldn't be happier. My rifle cycles Prime, Winchester, and Hornady without a single issue. Note that I upgraded to the SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block on mine. Accuracy was acceptable with factory ammo. I began handloading for this rifle and accuracy improved noticeably. I am only a half MOA shooter at best so I'm not going to claim what this rifle can do "all day long." I will tell you that my GAP-10G2 is very well built, reliable, accurate, and a blast to shoot. I should probably add that I have only shot mine suppressed (TBAC Ultra 9) so far. I have no experience with the Wilson.

My Armalite Gap ar10 has been very accurate and reliable. i have no experience with Wilson products..

i would rather have a rifle from a rifle company, than a rifle from a pistol company

Reactions: natdscott
i would rather have a rifle from a rifle company, than a rifle from a pistol company

Never thought of it that way, but certainly makes sense.

Have owned a 20" GAP10 in 308 now for 5-6 years. Has spent its life at 600+ yards. Feed it Copper Creeks gas gun load. Very accurate AND reliable. Round count is now approaching 900 rounds. No FTF or FTE as of yet. Driven correctly, it will hang right in there with my 20" AI bolt rig.

As I usually state in questions such as these, "If GAP is an option, GAP is the answer."

Although I gotta admit, I'm ashamed for you as you are not considering JP...

Only messing with you.

Bartlien is a big reason I would think. Bartlien won't even sell an AR-10 barrel directly for a build because they are too many variations as per their website.

Gap is a great gun, Ive only got experience with the G2, I sold it because the only difference between that and my Seekins SP10 was the barrel.

If you want something tried and true, go Gap 10. If a 10 month wait to build is possible as well order the gap 10.

I think there is one for sale on the PX.

If you want a custom gun with a bartlein barrel contact Jeff Hayes at rivers bend gun co

http://www.riversbendguncompany.com

He can add a bartlein to any gas gun. He used to work for Gap and knows gassers very well.

My GAP10 Gen2 in 260 was ordered in July2016 and received in March 2017. 1 month of that wait was for them to turn a collar down for my Ops Inc can.

Here's a couple 5-shot 140SMK load development groups at 100yds. Pretty consistent that 1st shot going .5-.75moa to the 10 o'clock.

Attachments

• photo65389.jpg
    photo65389.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 42
  • photo65390.jpg
    photo65390.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 51