• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP .243 - 1000+ rounds later

TrapperT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2005
Temperance, MI
I thought this may be useful for people inquiring about the .243's and what to expect out of barrel life. I currently have 1130 rounds down my Bartlein barreled .243 Win. I shoot it often in competition and also in F-Class. I clean the carbon out every 150-200 rounds. At 853 rounds, the throat moved .033".

I have loaded all of my rounds to mag length, which when new, were approximately .01" off the lands. At 500 rounds, I cleaned the barrel, shot two Tubbs TMS rounds and then polished the bore with KG2 (much finer than JB). I then did the same at 1000 rounds. After cleaning & polishing, (1000 rounds), I decided to see how the velocity was holding up. I chronographed my standard load and found that my velocity dropped from 2987fps to 2960fps. I decided to bump up my load by .30 grains and kept my seating depth the same as it was when new.

Below is my target. The top target is my original load of 41.7gr H4350. The bottom target is my new load of 42.0gr H4350.

25rpkbp.jpg

Was there a huge degradation in the original load? Not really, but .3 grains brought it back to the original accuracy level. After this I shot another F-Class shoot and was very pleased with the results.

For what it's worth, I find the .243 to be very accurate and very capable. YMMV....

Tony

Re: GAP .243 - 1000+ rounds later

Thats a good description. My 243 has almost 800 rounds down it. Only cleaned it once (around 600 rounds). Took it to the 300 yard range on saturday and ripped 15 rounds into a 1.9 inch group. Probably would have done better if I were not speeding. The barrel is a Cooper Percision 24 inch with a 1 in 7.5. I run the 115gr DTAC at around 2950fps. It has no problems holding 1MOA at 1000 if i pay attention to the wind. Absoutly cannot beat the 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trapper....naked bullets ? </div></div>
+1?
Excellent timing for me! Thanks for the post...

Boltripper - Thanks for bringing that question up - All bullets fired through the gun have been BN coated.

I really like the BN coated bullets. No residue like moly and no barrel "prep". For example, after polishing the bore, it will only take 5 rounds (if that) for the barrel to "settle" down.

VPR - OAL with a Sinclair "Hex Nut" is 3.191"

Good post Trapper. I have about 600 rds though mine and have not seen any fall off yet.

BN coated....hmmm...buy em that way or do it yourself?

M - Bought the bullets that way from D. Tubb. At the time when my gun arrived, David was phasing out the moly bullets. So I didn't have a choice. Thinking back, I'm glad he was phasing out the moly bullets...

I also shoot BN in my .338. I send my bullets down to him to coat. I find it easier to have him do it instead of myself. $25.00 per 500...

Not too shocking to me. I use 2 TMS rounds every 300 rounds and I have about 1300 rounds through my GAP .243, most shot at matches where the rifle got pretty hot, and it's still super accurate. Same load and velocity. I actually switched to BN from my moly bullets when they ran out and gained about 35fps with the same load as the moly. They are at about 3020fps now with 42.5grn of H4350 in Win cases. I am planning on making it to around 3000 or so.

Good info for the people that think you will only get 1200 rounds from a .243.

VPR - OAL with a Sinclair "Hex Nut" is 3.191" [/quote]

thanks good info here

I have been shoot'n um naked might try the BN ones
don't see a real advantage however

Anyone know of (besides Moon's barrel) that shot good after 2000?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
VPR - OAL with a Sinclair "Hex Nut" is 3.191" </div></div>

thanks good info here

I have been shoot'n um naked might try the BN ones
don't see a real advantage however

Anyone know of <span style="font-weight: bold">(besides Moon's barrel)</span> that shot good after 2000?
[/quote]

And it's still shooting nice. Tomorrow I will try to post a pic of a target I shot lastnight.

D Tubb - BN Coated Bullets

Might not be for every body be here is a link to some information on BN coating. I have not tried this but looks interesting. I seldom buy anything a 1000 at a time (except primers) but if I knew my barrels would last longer due to using this, it would be worth it.

Another question - do you have to redevelop your load when switching from naked to BN coated bullets, assuming nothing else changed?

M - You are going to need to rework your load if you go to BN. I would expect that you won't have to go far though from where you are now. But YMMV....

I had a 6XC with around 1800+ rounds through it when I had it rechambered to the bigger 6MMsuperX (Which is a 243 with a 30 degree shoulder and a tad longer neck.) It shot great when I had it rechambered but I wanted more speed to push the 115s to 1000yds and figured the 6XC was on the weak side since my groups didn't hold up well at 1000yds but shot like a house of fire at 600yds.

After I had it rechambered I put another 800rds through it as a 243superX shooting 1" to 1.5" groups at 400yds load testing but once again it didn't stay tight at 1000yds. What I eventually found out was the barrel was going south on me. I talked to a highpower shooter and he said that is the first indicator a barrel is getting shot out.

He said when the groups open up at 1000yds but are still shooting tight at 600yds then it time to change barrels. He said he would usaully use the barrel for 600yd shooting for another 800 or so then toss it. Just thought I would toss this out for what its worth!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not too shocking to me. I use 2 TMS rounds every 300 rounds and I have about 1300 rounds through my GAP .243, most shot at matches where the rifle got pretty hot, and it's still super accurate. Same load and velocity. I actually switched to BN from my moly bullets when they ran out and gained about 35fps with the same load as the moly. They are at about 3020fps now with 42.5grn of H4350 in Win cases. I am planning on making it to around 3000 or so.

Good info for the people that think you will only get 1200 rounds from a .243. </div></div>

Rob, are you shooting the 115 DTAC also? Since your a big Amax fan also, do you have a load for this gun with the 105?

If your shooting a 243 with 105s try 46 to 47grs of H1000. It shot extremly well in my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gafferq2xl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not too shocking to me. I use 2 TMS rounds every 300 rounds and I have about 1300 rounds through my GAP .243, most shot at matches where the rifle got pretty hot, and it's still super accurate. Same load and velocity. I actually switched to BN from my moly bullets when they ran out and gained about 35fps with the same load as the moly. They are at about 3020fps now with 42.5grn of H4350 in Win cases. I am planning on making it to around 3000 or so.

Good info for the people that think you will only get 1200 rounds from a .243. </div></div>

Rob, are you shooting the 115 DTAC also? Since your a big Amax fan also, do you have a load for this gun with the 105?</div></div>

Yes my rifle was set up to run them and that was before I started using Hornady AMAX bullets but I do use the 105 AMAX also with 39 grns of H4350. Definitely don't start there as it might not be safe in your rifle. Use listed data and work up.