• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gap 6 Creedmoor/McCourt Munitions

KYS

BBN #1
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2008
Lexington, KY
This is my mini review for the freshly barreled Badger M2008 action in 6 Creedmoor. GAP did all the work and George convinced me that this was a great round to go with if I wanted a "really efficient" 243 type rifle. I already own a GAP built 243, on a Remington 700 receiver that is chambered for the 115 DTAC. It is a hammer and I knew this setup would be as well. I'm running a 1/8 Bartlein barrel that finishes at 26". It was threaded for my Gemtech Sandstorm. Badger Bottom metal (M5) with AW mags. Manners stock with an ATLAS V8.1 bipod.

Now for the ammo! I talked with Andrew @ McCourt Munitions for almost a solid week before I decided to use him for my ammo needs. He approached me after a brief conversation in the shout box about odd ball calibers that hadn't really taken off yet. His PM was polite and to the point, he wanted to load my ammo for me. I told him I would love to utilize his services and get the ammo order going. He did A LOT of leg work getting this ammo to run perfectly in my newly chambered gun. Andrew made phone calls back and forth to GAP getting specs and proper OAL nailed down. He also sent test ammo to them to ensure his process for neck sizing was spot on. GAP reported to me that the ammo was a "perfect fit" in the chamber. On of our MODS here, Mike, highly recommended McCourt Munitions and said for hand rolled ammo you don't get any better then this guys ammunition. I received the first part of my order today, a 80 round ladder test. He started at George's recommended load of 42.6 grains of powder under a 105gr Hornady BTHP w/ AMP jacket. My ladder test consisted 7, 10 round groups. Ranging from 41.7-43.5 all jumping in .3 increments.

I ran the ladder test and was SHOCKED when I went to zero it with the 42.6 load. Which he sent me 10 extra to confirm the zero. This Nightforce scope was on a 24" barreled 308 before this one. I had it zeroed at 200 yards and put it back on its original zero. I fired at 100 yards to confirm and was almost 5.5 mils high!

All in all I spent about 2 hours doing this ladder test and I cannot be please enough with the rifle, ammunition and groups I got out of the combo. This is going to be a fun rig to shoot. Recoil is almost non existent with the weight of the rifle and suppressor. I will post pics of the groups and let everyone know I settled on 42.9 grains as my 105 gr load. I will also have Andrew load up ammo for the 115 DTAC bullet when they are available in the thousands.

I cannot say enough about Andrew at McCourt Munitions, the guy can load some damn fine ammo and is easy to work with. His communication is superb and his knowledge is vast. If you want custom ammo, call him! I will be doing further testing at distance tomorrow or Monday with weather permitting.

Targets were shot at 200 yards, prone in 8-12 mph winds coming from right to left.
1445lid.jpg
2ug1gz9.jpg

You will see a couple random holes that are circled and say "sight in" or SI..... That was me establishing zero on a lower target that is not pictured.

The Rifle:
30bpord.jpg

13zrcav.jpg

Re: Gap 6 Creedmoor/McCourt Munitions

I will put the rest up when I take it out to 800 yards here at my farm. Then out to 100 and beyond next weekend.

I also need to get a pic up of the rifle itself....

Try 42.5 H4831sc with coated 115's at .010 off.

Nice 200yd groups, told you the wind was ferocious lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try 42.5 H4831sc with coated 115's at .010 off. </div></div>

When the bullets are available again in large amounts I will pass this on to Andrew and see what he has to say. Thanks for the intel!

Excellent info, thank you for the review. I have been chatting with Andrew over the past several days, as well.

Super knowledgeable. I look foward to my batch of .308 and 6.5 CM from McCourt Munitions.

Terrific groups, by the way...........
grin.gif

If you look at the 42.9 target that I actually made my selection on was the fact that I made the nice 5 shot group with, was going to go for a couple more rounds and sent a flyer. It was all me, I lost my hold on the rifle and let it slip when I fired. So I let it cool for 30 minutes while I went down range to measure the groups and clean the barrel out.

I told myself if I punched the number out I would pick that group. First shot punched the 8 out and I knew this was the group to go for!

Great work from GAP and the right ammo make a huge difference when your chasing absolute precision from your rig.

Adam,

Nice shooting!

Couldn't agree more that a great rifle and right ammo go a long ways in shooting small groups at distance. Learn faster also. No guessing was it me, was it ammo, was it rifle, etc., if shot didn't go on call you know it was something in conditions that you as the shooter missed.

Will have package headed your way on Monday filled up with 6 CM ammo loaded at 42.9 gr!

MTETM - Thanks for the data, will run a few of those for Adam to try in his rifle.

I dont have much faith in chrono's after my stint with the 308 testing. It told me my 308 out of a 20" gun was running 3333 fps.... and that is physically impossible.

Either you need a new chrono, there was a problem with screen placing distance or sunlight or the muzzle was too close to the chrono and you were getting blast.

Give it another try and have the chrono about 13-15 feet from the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also need to get a pic up of the rifle itself.... </div></div>

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yes </div></div>

Working on it! Will do it tonight when I get the kids to bed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try 42.5 H4831sc with coated 115's at .010 off. </div></div>

Is there any downside to Boron Nitride?

The 6CM has got to be pretty close to the 6xc....did George recommend one over the other?

I'm looking to put together an efficient 6mm myself!

Thanks

BnG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yes </div></div>

this..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im starting a a Match Rifle Idea based off our GAP-10 Platform with the new Rifle length system. 6mm Creedmoor!!!. .243 is to long to work givin the length of the mag, the Creedmore case is perfect and brass is really easy to get. The new Hornady 105 BTHP match bullet has a BC of .535 and it should easily be able to make 3000 FPS with 43 grains of 4350 out of a 23" barrel. Possibly 3050 FPS. so 7.0-7.4 mils to 1000 out of a handy gasser that will hold 1/2 MOA. Me thinks this might be a game changer!!!!!

Ill keep this thread updated on the progress, Have Dies and Bullets already and the rifle is already in the works. </div></div>

Original thread is in the SH Semi-auto section. I'd say George is leaning towards the 6 CM .....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bangnclang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6CM has got to be pretty close to the 6xc....did George recommend one over the other?

Thanks

BnG </div></div>

6XC is pretty expensive to load compared to this cartridge....
I have also been eyeing the 6 Crusader that he offers and probably going that route soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either you need a new chrono, there was a problem with screen placing distance or sunlight or the muzzle was too close to the chrono and you were getting blast.

Give it another try and have the chrono about 13-15 feet from the muzzle. </div></div>

Well then that was my problem. I had the muzzle to close. Was about 6ft from the muzzle, it was windy and raining when I ran the test under a roofed shooting deck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you put that new tan S&B on it.... </div></div>

Nope, it went on my 260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle Pictures are up </div></div>

That'll do!!! very handsome rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bangnclang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6CM has got to be pretty close to the 6xc....did George recommend one over the other?

Thanks

BnG </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">6XC is pretty expensive to load compared to this cartridge.... </span>
I have also been eyeing the 6 Crusader that he offers and probably going that route soon. </div></div>

How so?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bangnclang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6CM has got to be pretty close to the 6xc....did George recommend one over the other?

Thanks

BnG </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">6XC is pretty expensive to load compared to this cartridge.... </span>
I have also been eyeing the 6 Crusader that he offers and probably going that route soon. </div></div>

How so? </div></div>

take a look at brass prices compared to 6.5 Creedmoor? Now tell me that XC is more cost effective then Creedmoor....

Very nice KYS, thank you for sharing! I'm very curious about the 6mm Creedmoor. I have a shit ton of 6.5 CM brass laying around.

6XC norma brass is $70.00 for 100 pieces
6.5 Creedmoor brass from Hornady averages around $31.00 for 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6XC norma brass is $70.00 for 100 pieces

</div></div>

i had no idea where the hell to you get it for $31/100 had i known that i would have built a creedmoor instead of 260. fuck my crappy rem brass is $55/100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6XC norma brass is $70.00 for 100 pieces

</div></div>

i had no idea where the hell to you get it for $31/100 had i known that i would have built a creedmoor instead of 260. fuck my crappy rem brass is $55/100 </div></div>

$15.00 per 50 according to the average....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?c...IwAw#ps-sellers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bangnclang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6CM has got to be pretty close to the 6xc....did George recommend one over the other?

Thanks

BnG </div></div>

How so? </div></div>

take a look at brass prices compared to 6.5 Creedmoor? Now tell me that XC is more cost effective then Creedmoor.... </div></div>

Win 22-250 brass is cheaper.

Nice looking rifle and write up.

Think your brass price is off a bit though, the numbers don't average 15/50.

Powder Valley lists them at $30.59/50. As a general rule powder valley is the place to beat on prices.

+ 1

Its more like a savings of 6 bucks per 100 vs the 6XC.

Who's making dies for the 6CM?

BnG

I'm not aware of anybody making standard FL sizer die in 6CM right now. Once you have brass necked down to 6mm, can use a 0.269 bushing in a 6.5 CM die for sizing.

6 CM with 105 Hornady BTHP w/AMP jacket is 1.95/rd plus actual shipping.

I dont have velocity on it yet, that past week has been nothing but terrential down pours here everyday. We have had 3" of rain so far in just a few days.

When I get time I will get the chrono out and see what its running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bangnclang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+ 1

Its more like a savings of 6 bucks per 100 vs the 6XC.

Who's making dies for the 6CM?

BnG </div></div>

GAP will have custom reamers made. I am sure you can contact George and ask about getting a reamer made for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not aware of anybody making standard FL sizer die in 6CM right now. Once you have brass necked down to 6mm, can use a 0.269 bushing in a 6.5 CM die for sizing.

</div></div>

Hornady is in the process of making a standard Set FL die and Seater

There ya go, die sets will be available soon! I've got loaded ammo so you can shoot now, have fired brass to load as soon as you get dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not aware of anybody making standard FL sizer die in 6CM right now. Once you have brass necked down to 6mm, can use a 0.269 bushing in a 6.5 CM die for sizing.

</div></div>

Hornady is in the process of making a standard Set FL die and Seater </div></div>

Make sure you reserve me a set please!

Pretty sure the rifle/ammo got to stretch it's legs this weekend.....just need to bug KYS338 for report!

What kind of barrel life are we looking at with the 6 CM compared to the 6XC or the 243 Win

Given case, I'd say the 6 CM and 6 XC will be very similar in barrel life, both should be better then the 243.

I've had some tooling made up to help speed production of 6 CM ammo. Should be bringing that on-line next day or two. Just in case you are interested in ordering up some ammo.

I agree, but there are a lot of around here who seem to think paying dues with mediocre equipment is essential. These folks simply don't understand the learning process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Learn faster also. No guessing was it me, was it ammo, was it rifle, etc., if shot didn't go on call you know it was something in conditions that you as the shooter missed.

</div></div>

Im thinking 4000-5500 maybe with the heat and speeds you are capable of achieving. Now, somehow with McCourt's loads I am not getting a hot barrel any quicker then my 308. It actually stays warmer for longer then gets hot when you hit about 22 round fired in a slow controlled state, that being 1 round fired every 2-3 minutes.