• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP 7000 vs Templar --real Difference???

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
I am considering another 308 and leaning towards a Crusader. I have seen a few second hand guns that have the previous GAP7000 actions which I believe GAP no longer uses with their new Defiance made Templar actions. I read a few things about Lawton not being the same anymore, but assume they were awesome when GAP had used them. Trust if there were quality issues then GAP wouldn't have put the 7000 actions in their top line guns.

I have a 338 Lapua with a GAP 7000 action and love thus far.

Is there a notable difference in ruggedness, tolerances, accuracy between the 7000 and Templar. I would like to find a fairly priced used gun with a couple-few hundred rounds down the tube and just curious if I should steer towards a newer Templar action Crusader. If so, may simply order a new one.

Any input appreciated.

Re: GAP 7000 vs Templar --real Difference???

Will in Kenai
To set the record straight, I have no idea about the difference between the Templar and the GAP 7000 but I am curious to see what other guys with more knowledge have to say about it.
If I am not mistaking, I believe you recently purchased your .338 Lapua on Sniper's Hide, I was also looking at it too, great looking rifle. Did you had a chance to shoot it and how is the accuracy, if you do not mind me asking?
Ombre noire

having owned both a lawton and a defiance action I can tell you first hand that the defiance is easily the better action. The overall build quality is instantly noticeable between the two, the defiance wins hands down. The defiance action is timed correctly from the factory, extraction starts the minute start to work the bolt, it comes with a one piece bolt, feeds from AW or AICS magazines (short action version) and they are still in business to help you out if you happen to have an issue. I would recommend that you go with the new Templar action.

Thanks Adam--that's what I was curious of.

Ombré--that was me. Shot it and been nothing but pleased so far. Using load original owner worked up with H1000 and Berger hybrids. It's a GAP7000 action and must admit it seems smoother and better tolerances than my Two GAP rifles off Remington 700 actions--but cannot say what it was like from Lawron before GAP did their magic. I have not played with a Templar action yet and am a bit in the backwoods, so likely won't until I buy one.

Will in Kenai
I guess you know what your next purchase will be. Down the road, I will be looking for a extreme long range rifle, either a .338 LM, or a 7 mm SAUM. I shot both and they are impressive at a mile and above. They both have their pros and cons, depending on what you use them for.
Thanks for the info on your .338; have fun with it.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

GAP 7000 vs. Templar

I own a GAP Crusader in 338 with the Lawton 7000 action and a GAP Rock 308 with the Templar. Both are capable of 1/4 MOA when I am up to the task and I cannot tell a lot of difference between the funtioning of the actions.

Attachments

• GAP-338-B.jpg
    GAP-338-B.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Gap 308 003a.jpg
    Gap 308 003a.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 15