• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing GAP 7WSM buck, 547yds

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
This spring, I pulled the A5 off and dropped my GAP 7WSM into an XLR Chassis. Still shoots like I'm cheatin' and finally got a chance to fill a deer tag with the new handle...
hunting2012028.jpg

Saw a decent buck foolin' with a doe across the valley. Ranged, dialed & dumped @ 547yds, courtesy of a 162gr Amax. Got my buddy to help drag and we humped up the valley to find him.
hunting2012030.jpg

Shot was just slightly quartering to, POI on front of shoulder. 162Amax found inside pelt on the other side...
hunting2012051.jpg

One more pic, you can see the Amax lumped under the pelt, just above the ele. turret
hunting2012046.jpg

Like I said, shootin' this GAP rifle is almost like cheatin'!
laugh.gif

Re: GAP 7WSM buck, 547yds

Can you weigh that Amax slug for me,

I'm very interested in the weight retention of the Amax round in real world long distance game taking .

Thanks

Thank you, fellas! Scope is a Premier 5-25x56, Gen II XR reticle.
CBM & finbox, I will add that to the recovered bullets thread once I get a weight on it. Forgot & left it drying on the window sill up at the farm though! Should add that the shot was quartering to, impact in front of right shoulder/base of neck and bullet lodged behind offside shoulder, as shown.

Scott, I must admit, I do like the infinite adjustability and overall 'feel' of the XLR over the A5 with stock pack I had on there. Plus, now I'm running Alpha WSM mags instead of two rounds in a Wyatt's box/Badger M4 bottom metal. Naturally, the 'feel' part is just personal preference, and same as your buddy, I seem to gravitate toward the vertical grip AR 'feel'. So I think he might be pleased to get behind an XLR. That one won't be my last!

I apologize for not to following up sooner.
The 162gr Amax recovered weighed 71.4gr, 44% weight retention...

Nice shot and write up. I also own a GAP in 7WSM, on an A5 stock, so I found this particularly interesting.