• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP AR-10 (Armalite/Eagle) owners...

GhostFace

Verified Asshole
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I have a question for you, does the brass fired from your rifles have loose primer pockets on the first firing? I have a stock barrel (LW) on mine and it shoots real tight but the primer pockets are loose on the first firing. I switched to an adjustable gas block and it has helped some but not much. I get the loose promer pockets on mild and hot loads with the can on and off. I only use Hornady match brass because I have a steady supply of once fired from bolt guns and it's alot better than Federal. I think it maybe due to a larger gas port size on the stock rifle. I'd bet the GAP rifles have a smaller port size...

Re: GAP AR-10 (Armalite/Eagle) owners...

i've got an ar10 I built (armalite, 24in bull barrel) and the primer pockets are fine on the spent brass. i've been shooting prvi match mostly.

i would love an adjustable gas block. the ar10 eats brass and spits it 10 yards sometimes. being able to tune that a bit would be a plus even without a can. the whole gun is overgassed

No one else has any input on this?

Are you saying that you have pushed a primer or two? Yeah, gas guns need to run at a lower pressure than bolt guns. Have you had the good fortune of getting a primer wadded up in the ignition parts yet?

Just back your load off a touch.

Good luck

I have popped primers in once fired FGGM brass on mild loads. I have since stopped using FGGM brass, I now use Hornady. The loads I am using are mild, clocked at 2635 FPS. What I am saying is the pockets open up faster than they should. I think the gasports are opened up too much and over gassed on stock rifles. I have an adjustable gasblock which helps but about one load from once fired brass is all I can get from my rifle. What I would like to know is brass fired from GAP rifles like this was well? I would bet the gasports are a little smaller on GAP built rifles. I wouldlike to confirm this if I can....

We have a GAP .308 built on a DPMS reciver here at work (police). It has an 18" bbl with a YHM suppressor. We only run the gun with the suppressor attached as we get a significant poi change w/o the can. I don't remember which bbl. George used, but I want so say Bartelin. We run Hornady 168gr. TAP AMAX (ballistic tip). The gun runs 100%, super accurate, no pressure signs, no blown primers. We got some Hornady 165gr. TAP Barrier ammo in to try and we were blowing primers all over the place. This was with new factory ammo. Called George and he explained every load is different and with the can, pressures are increased. Bottom line, is that we stuck with what works, but it was a good lesson. Not sure if this helps your situation as you are handloading, but thought I would offer.
    Nick-

As you have already figured out as well - Fed brass gets loose in the ass end quickly.

Good luck

The .308 (7.62x51) AR10s are overgassed. I spoke with Dave who is one of the smiths at Armalite and the earlier versions were even worse. I midded my own gas block and it appears to have helped. Before, brass was flung a mile away and was loose in the ass right quick. My modded block has the gas almost closed off. Now brass is in a nice pile within arms reach.