• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

GAP AR-10 vs. Others

hinkson45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
N. VA
I searched the forum and didn't find anything, so what are the opinions of the GAP AR-10 builds? Any idea on how they'd compare to LWRC, LMT, LaRue, etc? They all seem to be in the same price range. Thanks.

Re: GAP AR-10 vs. Others

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildCat1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I searched the forum and didn't find anything, so what are the opinions of the GAP AR-10 builds? Any idea on how they'd compare to LWRC, LMT, LaRue, etc? They all seem to be in the same price range. Thanks. </div></div>

This comes down to how much money do you have. I have a GAP DPMS SASS build and I am more then happy with it. It out shoots me... I paid less then what LWRC is asking for the REPR. I also have a LWRC in 6.8mm and it is a fine shooter too. But, at the end of the day you have to ask what will make you happier. The rifles are going to be close on their shooting ability and the rest will be up to you. Right now the Gas Pistons are the new rage so they are asking premium prices and you will pay extra. I am sure that will change in time.

I would call GAP and ask them how long their wait is for a 308 AR build and how long the others are too. That may help you in your decision.

Every name you have on your list I wouldn't mind owning so I would have them all if I had the money.

GAP is not taking any order for any AR-10 uppers or rifles at this time. They have a waiting list you can put yourself on. They didn't tell me how long the wait was. I have been hearing a lot about Iron Ridge Arms and have reached out to them to see how much and how long of a wait if any. They will be getting back to me today. I will post an update as soon as I have one.

What about JP enterprises. A buddy of mine has one. We haven't shot it enought to get a feel for its potential, but I will say that it is amazingly well made. Way way better fit and finish than either my REPR or my POF P-308. I've tried to get info about it here, but not much response.

Also- check this out-

http://www.extremefirepower.com/rs.html

1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee

APA is building an upper for me using a Broughton barrel. I like the fact that they are going to test fire it for accuracy and function. I didn't even need to send my lower. Should be done in a few weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">APA is building an upper for me using a Broughton barrel. I like the fact that they are going to test fire it for accuracy and function. I didn't even need to send my lower. Should be done in a few weeks.

</div></div>

Jered or Dave would be the first I'd call if I were doing an AR-10 build. I think the hang up in the build process is getting a barrel, but I could be wrong. Anything APA touches is art, so you can't go wrong.

GAP AR builds are rock solid, perform flawlessly and bughole targets. Sure, you can get one from someone else, but why not go with experience and success? You can expect the same GAP quality in their AR's by a smith that only builds ARs. What more could you ask for?

Quicker turnaround...just kidding. I know Flounder has his hands full.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Supersubes, what is there turn around time ? </div></div>

Mine was originally ordered in May. The hold-up was with the DPMS upper. The barrel came relatively quickly. I believe Gap is having the same troubles getting AR parts.

I have no doubt that GAP builds a great AR( i have a GAP bolt rifle), i just went with APA because they test everything. I don't know for sure that GAP doesn't test their gas guns.

Just for the record, we shoot every AR-10 that leaves here. Uppers as well. You have to, as its a Semi Auto and funtion is imperitive. We are all cought up on AR-10 builds. We are calling people on the list now. Most of which have gotten a rifle elsewhere (couldnt wait) So the list should be gone through fairly fast March-April we should be taking orders just like the Pre-Obama surge. Parts are not an Issue anymore and I have 100+ barrels in stock ready for Flounder and the lathe.

Saw that one at SHOT. Nice is an understatement.

+1,000,000 on GAP products. You cannot go wrong. I checked out that GAP AR at SHOT and it was exquisite!, and someone needs to buy it.

George, what are the specs on the in stock barrels as I need one done, Kerry told me you did not stock them.

On a side note, here's Kevin Boland from KAC introducing their redesigned SR-25.

According to his posts on silencertalk, "The EM [new model] Carbine has a longer gas system, which makes the system run better suppressed, as well as it has a longer recoil stroke, plus some other proprietary aspects."

It also has standard threading to accept AAC and SF suppressor mounts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPCp6sn9nk4

I'm amazed you did not take mine to shot show! I can't wait to be in town long enough to break it in. She's gorgeous! Jeff does amazing work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have an idea of when the LMT's or Larue will availible? </div></div>

LaRue just started shipping 16" barreled rifles a few weeks ago. I got a call at that time asking if i wanted to change my 18" barrel order to a 16" so I could get it right away. I declined and was told it would be about a month on the 18" barrel. Keep in mind I placed my order in November of 2008 so it might be awhile before they work through all the backlog of orders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin_Deaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have an idea of when the LMT's or Larue will availible? </div></div>

LaRue just started shipping 16" barreled rifles a few weeks ago. I got a call at that time asking if i wanted to change my 18" barrel order to a 16" so I could get it right away. I declined and was told it would be about a month on the 18" barrel. Keep in mind I placed my order in November of 2008 so it might be awhile before they work through all the backlog of orders. </div></div>

I kind of thought they would have quite a back log to work through.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin_Deaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have an idea of when the LMT's or Larue will availible? </div></div>

LaRue just started shipping 16" barreled rifles a few weeks ago. I got a call at that time asking if i wanted to change my 18" barrel order to a 16" so I could get it right away. I declined and was told it would be about a month on the 18" barrel. Keep in mind I placed my order in November of 2008 so it might be awhile before they work through all the backlog of orders. </div></div>

I kind of thought they would have quite a back log to work through.
frown.gif
</div></div>

I've got one of the 16" LaRue guns. I was in the exact same spot as Kevin, but I opted for the 16" instead of waiting longer. I have to say that I don't regret the decision at all, we took it out to 1000 yards a few weeks ago and it performed remarkable well! Granted, it will never have the velocity of longer gun, it is perfectly capable of shooting a long way very well.

Iron Ridge arms was also at SHOT showing off their 7.62 offering. I have to sy that they looked really really nice.

Do you have any photos of it? I emailed you guys at GAP for an AR build, but if you have one....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for the record, we shoot every AR-10 that leaves here. Uppers as well. You have to, as its a Semi Auto and funtion is imperitive. We are all cought up on AR-10 builds. We are calling people on the list now. Most of which have gotten a rifle elsewhere (couldnt wait) So the list should be gone through fairly fast March-April we should be taking orders just like the Pre-Obama surge. Parts are not an Issue anymore and I have 100+ barrels in stock ready for Flounder and the lathe. </div></div>

Not sure if this is the appropriate place, but I've been on the waiting list since Apr/May '09 (I was second on the list then), I sent my parts (complete lower, stripped upper, BCG, and DD rails) in Nov '09, and I still don't have my rifle. I called Karey on Tues, and he told me my barrel was finally cut. I'm still patiently waiting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to send all the parts in for a GAP AR-10 build ?

I'm planning on a IRA upper and lower with a Rock barrel, and hoping for the full GAP treatment on the box of parts. </div></div>

Yes, that is what I did. I put myself on the waiting list and bought parts as they became available while I waited (nothing better to do, right?). When Karey said to, I sent my parts in to have the barrel cut and the rifle assembled. I'll post pics in this thread when I get her back. I wish I'd known about IRA when I bought my receivers. The upper/lower fit on the DPMS ones I got is loose. Hopefully GAP rectifies that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin_Deaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have an idea of when the LMT's or Larue will availible? </div></div>

18" OBRs have begun shipping. There's more info on the LaRue industry thread on AR15.com

Go with APA and don't look back. Excellent customer service bar none. Every question I had was answered, every i dotted and t crossed. To put it in better terms, go with APA and there will be no GAPS in your groups.

Don't leave out POF's. Do a search, they are real accurate.

-dan

Got the GAP build yesterday. Pics and a range report will be forth coming. This thing is sweet!

Year after year, George's work is as good as his reputation. This is a (admittedly) narrow group of shooters amongst the rifle/shooting world, but ya don't see any detractors or threads here, and we're not much of a group for holding quiet when the bogus 'smiths surface.

I've got two of his rifles and have had GAP work my M1A. The only bad thing I can say about them is that I don't have enough time to shoot. Quality, value, AND service come at a premium. I'd match him up against *anybody*.