• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP - Badger M2008 - McSwirly Stock - AAC 762SD

srv656s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2005
KC, MO
I got my dream rifle put together by GAP recently and I'm in love with her.

Specs:
.308 Win
Badger M2008 Action
22" Bartlein Barrel 1 in 10 twist
M5 Bottom metal
Jewell Trigger
McMillan A5 stock with KMW loggerhead cheekpiece
AAC Blackout flash suppressor
AAC 762SD suppressor
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50mm NPR1 scope with zero stop
Weighs about 18.5 lbs

Both-views.jpg

The stock mix is supposed to be 33% each of Black, Olive Drab, and Tan. If you handed it to me and asked me to guess at what the mix really is, I'd say 50% black, 30% OD and 20% tan. It's custom stuff and you never know exactly how it's going to turn out, but it ended up a little darker than I really wanted. I love the stock, absolutely love it, but a little black goes a long way and I wish I'd gone a little lighter with the black.

Couple closeups with different lighting:
IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

I fired a few different loads through her today while sighting in the scope and I think I'm going to go with 155 grn Lapua Scenars over 43 grains of Varget in Lapua brass and 210M primers. I was getting around 2750 FPS with it, which isn't blazing fast, but it shot pretty well. With 44 grains of Lapua I got right at 2800 FPS, but when I was seating the bullets I was worried I was compressing the load, it just didn't look like there was much room for the projo in that case with 44 grains of Varget. Made me nervous, but I didn't really see any major pressure signs today with the load.

Group from today:
IMG_4237.jpg

.751" edge to edge
.443" after subtracting .308

There is only one thing that I noticed was a little bit of a problem with my setup. I LOVE the adjustability of the KMW Loggerhead cheekpiece. It can go up and down and also is adjustable side to side. I fiddled with it for about 10 minutes to get it just right so it fit right under my cheekbone and I had a perfectly natural cheekweld. Unfortunately once I tightened everything down, I ran the bolt and realized that it impacted the cheekpiece. There's a cutout in the cheekpiece so if you adjust it straight up, the bolt will slide into it. Problem is, if you adjust it side to side as well as up, the cutout isn't in the right place. I could probably have the cheekpiece cut so it would work, but I found that if I adjusted it off to the side and then put my old Eagle stock pack on it, it gave me the same cheekweld and also allowed me to run the bolt. Not a bad solution since I like to have the stock pack on the rifle to carry my drop chart and suppressor paperwork.

Bolt hitting cheekpiece:
IMG_4172.jpg

One bit of good news is that I'd been having problems with my POI shifting down majorly as it heated up. After 2-3 shots, it would shift around 2-3 inches down at 100 yards. With the new rifle, I shot it fairly rapidly and didn't notice the shift. I was shooting different loads through it, so each load went to slightly different places on paper, but I didn't see the problem today. That's very good news.

The rifle is extremely easy to shoot. It's a heavy monster and with the suppressor the recoil is almost non-existent. I did shoot it 2 times without the suppressor and the POI is 2.5" vertical. With the suppressor off, it shoots 2.5" higher than with it on.

Thanks George from GAP for being patient with me while I kept changing my mind on things and thanks Marty from Badger for also being patient with me while I scraped together my pennies for the action! I love the rifle!

Shawn

Re: GAP - Badger M2008 - McSwirly Stock - AAC 762SD

Nice looking stick ya got there. I finally got my FN/SPR out to the range today. Has the McMillan A4 stock. After OFAST in a few weeks it's going to GA for new bottom metal. I have a prototype Elite Iron Bravo 30 suppressor on order, just waiting for the form 3 to clear. Dale claims suppression level is the same as the the production can, but an inch shorter.

We have a match next week at 230yds and 450yds. As I'm usually a full auto guy, this precision stuff is new to me. One of the club members is a retired USMC Gunney. He helped me get dialed in at 450. Was shooting 2" to 3" groups with BH 168 Amax rounds. Scoped with a Luepy 6.5-20 TMR. I'm kinda diggin' this stuff!
Steve

Nice rig you have there!

That's an awesome rifle! I'd be a very proud owner if it were mine!

What contour barrel? I'm still waiting for the next run of SA's. My A5 is most likely 1.5 to 2 mo.s out. Have Badger BM w/AW mags, Huber 2 stage trigger and an action wrench. Just trying to determine what contour barrel to go with that lets me mount my SN3 3.2-17x 44mm in Seekins low rings.

Your rifle turned out great, can't wait to get everything together to sen it to GAP for assem.

Are you getting the same results with your suppressor that you did with your Remington?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you getting the same results with your suppressor that you did with your Remington? </div></div>

So far, not really. I shot 7 shots very rapidly to get the suppressor crazy hot. No vertical stringing with that group. The suppressor was so hot that when I touched it, at first it didn't feel hot because it cooked off my nerves so fast that they didn't register the heat until the surrounding non-cooked nerves picked it up.

I had the TAB suppressor cover (anti-mirage thingy) on there too, so it really got toasty.

At the end of the day, the suppressor was pretty hot and I had two rounds left. I put both of them on paper and they were both a little lower than I'd zeroed my rifle. I'm not sure if that was my fault or not. They were about a half inch to an inch low, I can't remember. My initial impression is that it was not a problem, but I'm going to shoot it a few more times before I can say for sure.

Anyways, I'm planning to come out to the June competition at the end of the month and I'll be bringing this rifle. I decided to try and run it with the suppressor on, so we'll see how it goes. Hope to see you there-

Shawn

The pic shows the bolt running into the stock pack, not the cheek piece. Remove the stock pack. If you want ammo on the rifle, put something on it that straps under the cheek piece rather than over it.

If you still have clearance issues, take a dremel to the cheek piece cutout until it clears the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pic shows the bolt running into the stock pack, not the cheek piece. Remove the stock pack. If you want ammo on the rifle, put something on it that straps under the cheek piece rather than over it.

If you still have clearance issues, take a dremel to the cheek piece cutout until it clears the bolt. </div></div>

In that picture, the cheek piece is adjusted all the way down so the bolt clears it just fine. It doesn't hit the stock pack if the cheek piece is adjusted all the way down. It hits the cheek piece if the cheek piece is adjusted up and to the side.

If I didn't like using the stock pack, I would consider doing some dremeling to make it work, but the stock pack works fine.

Shawn

I should be at the June match, and I'll shoot my suppressed .308 to compare the SD to the Cyclone K.

That is a dam nice looking rifle!!

The color looks close to mine.
DSC01301.jpg

L.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a dam nice looking rifle!!

DSC01301.jpg

L.</div></div>

rub it in why don't you!

Re: GAP - Badger M2008 - McSwirly Stock - AAC 762S

Well the gun is amazing!! And i don't mind sharing some pictures of her.
laugh.gif

Take care,
L.

Re: GAP - Badger M2008 - McSwirly Stock - AAC 762S

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">srv656s,

Did GAP coat your bolt with something?

L. </div></div>

It's pretty shiny in the pics, it had quite a bit of lube on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my dream rifle put together by GAP recently and I'm in love with her.

Specs:
.308 Win
Badger M2008 Action
22" Bartlein Barrel 1 in 10 twist
M5 Bottom metal
Jewell Trigger
McMillan A5 stock with KMW loggerhead cheekpiece
AAC Blackout flash suppressor
AAC 762SD suppressor
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50mm NPR1 scope with zero stop
Weighs about 18.5 lbs

Both-views.jpg

The stock mix is supposed to be 33% each of Black, Olive Drab, and Tan. If you handed it to me and asked me to guess at what the mix really is, I'd say 50% black, 30% OD and 20% tan. It's custom stuff and you never know exactly how it's going to turn out, but it ended up a little darker than I really wanted. I love the stock, absolutely love it, but a little black goes a long way and I wish I'd gone a little lighter with the black.

Couple closeups with different lighting:
IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

I fired a few different loads through her today while sighting in the scope and I think I'm going to go with 155 grn Lapua Scenars over 43 grains of Varget in Lapua brass and 210M primers. I was getting around 2750 FPS with it, which isn't blazing fast, but it shot pretty well. With 44 grains of Lapua I got right at 2800 FPS, but when I was seating the bullets I was worried I was compressing the load, it just didn't look like there was much room for the projo in that case with 44 grains of Varget. Made me nervous, but I didn't really see any major pressure signs today with the load.

Group from today:
IMG_4237.jpg

.751" edge to edge
.443" after subtracting .308

There is only one thing that I noticed was a little bit of a problem with my setup. I LOVE the adjustability of the KMW Loggerhead cheekpiece. It can go up and down and also is adjustable side to side. I fiddled with it for about 10 minutes to get it just right so it fit right under my cheekbone and I had a perfectly natural cheekweld. Unfortunately once I tightened everything down, I ran the bolt and realized that it impacted the cheekpiece. There's a cutout in the cheekpiece so if you adjust it straight up, the bolt will slide into it. Problem is, if you adjust it side to side as well as up, the cutout isn't in the right place. I could probably have the cheekpiece cut so it would work, but I found that if I adjusted it off to the side and then put my old Eagle stock pack on it, it gave me the same cheekweld and also allowed me to run the bolt. Not a bad solution since I like to have the stock pack on the rifle to carry my drop chart and suppressor paperwork.

Bolt hitting cheekpiece:
IMG_4172.jpg

One bit of good news is that I'd been having problems with my POI shifting down majorly as it heated up. After 2-3 shots, it would shift around 2-3 inches down at 100 yards. With the new rifle, I shot it fairly rapidly and didn't notice the shift. I was shooting different loads through it, so each load went to slightly different places on paper, but I didn't see the problem today. That's very good news.

The rifle is extremely easy to shoot. It's a heavy monster and with the suppressor the recoil is almost non-existent. I did shoot it 2 times without the suppressor and the POI is 2.5" vertical. With the suppressor off, it shoots 2.5" higher than with it on.

Thanks George from GAP for being patient with me while I kept changing my mind on things and thanks Marty from Badger for also being patient with me while I scraped together my pennies for the action! I love the rifle!

Shawn </div></div>

Awesome rifle!!! I really like that stock! Try 45.5 grains of varget, lapua case, 210m primer, 155 scenar. Should get you about 2840 - 2870 trust me this load works very well! There are people loading 47+ grains of varget with the scenar..

SWEET rig man!! Just make sure that it's not a safe queen!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a dam nice looking rifle!!

DSC01301.jpg

L. </div></div>

I love that setup.

Great rifle, and awesome badger action!! i've just buy NXS as your, mine is mil dot... fantastic scope!

...black is strong stuff...it don't take much...
wink.gif

...i am thunking it looks good that dark as the rest of the rifle is black...

...I am really hoping the build rifles shoot like that...did you get the .298 bore...???...

That is an awesome looking rifle you have, no wonder your proud!

I too own my dream rifle,for a few years now.A FN SPR rebuilt at GAP with a rock bbl and wears a 5.5-22 NF.I have been happy,pleased and content knowing that there is no other rifle out there,within my reach(dollar wise)that I would trade it for.Until now.1st.That's a fantastic looking rig you have,no doubt it will shoot.2nd.Damn you for shitting in my easter basket(grin).Congrats!

Hi Guys,

I was agonizing over the McMillan color mix so I called them. Basically, the first color you list will be the dominant color.
If you choose 33% Tan, 33% black, 33% OD, it will come out with Tan being the dominant color.

This is just what they told me and your experience may vary. My stock came out just like I wanted using these guidelines.

-todd

Arguably one of the finest actions made. Very nice rifle.

Very nice, it is good to see the 155’s performing so good out of a 1 in 10 barrel.

Am I correct in assuming you are using the muzzle break for the QD mount? If so what are your thoughts on the break alone as far as effectiveness and sound increase?

Just saw this thread came back from the dead. Here's a recent pic out shooting:

DSC_0012-2.jpg

I'm using a blackout mount, the brake wasn't out when I bought it.