• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gap bedded FN SPR or SPR A3G

rc2125

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Granger, Indiana
For those folks that might have an FN SPR, and that have maybe sent it to GAP to have it bedded or it's an A3G model....... is there any bedding material foward of the recoil lug ("pad" under first part of barrel)? From what I gather'd, they do the bed jobs on the A3G models. I've read about every post about bedding, never could find any pics of an SPR's McM stock bed job. Read some very limited chat about the "pad" in front of lug, but no definitive data on whether it is good or bad.....with some sustained shooting barrel heat.

Re: Gap bedded FN SPR or SPR A3G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC2125</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those folks that might have an FN SPR, and that have maybe sent it to GAP to have it bedded or it's an A3G model....... is there any bedding material foward of the recoil lug ("pad" under first part of barrel)? From what I gather'd, they do the bed jobs on the A3G models. I've read about every post about bedding, never could find any pics of an SPR's McM stock bed job. Read some very limited chat about the "pad" in front of lug, but no definitive data on whether it is good or bad.....with some sustained shooting barrel heat. </div></div>
I had an A3 G, but sold it recently to fund another build. It was difficult to sell, because I love the pre-64 M70 action and the rifle easily shot sub 1/2-MOA with factory match ammo (Black Hills 175gr. Match, Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr.) but I sold it to a deserving individual (LEO) so I can live without it. I can always buy another or build another rifle on an SPR action but the good karma generated from selling my A3 G to the LEO is something that cannot be replaced.

Unless FNH has changed things, the A3 G is bedded in MarineTex and is also the only SPR that comes bedded from the factory. Tim Ferrel at GAP did the bedding on my A3 G. I don't have any photos of the bedding for reference, but if I remember correctly, the bedding extended about 1.5-2.0" forward of the lug. I don't remember accuracy suffering from sustained fire, but the A3 G is a 5-round floorplate model so there is always a pause every 5 rounds between loadings.

Keith