• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Build - Tough Choices - Bartlein #GAP 5 Sendero Contour vs Proof Research CF Sendero

grizzlestomp

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finalizing the details of my new build and trying to choose between barrels. This will be a hunting rig, but I want a heavier contour barrel so that I can shoot at the range and improve my skill level. Not trying to make benchrest gun or hybrid, just trying to make a hunting rig that I can practice with and shoot more than one round every five minutes (like with a featherweight barrel). I'm relatively new/intermediate. Good shot and some fundamentals but this is my first custom rig and I have limited experience shooting beyond 600 yards. Ideally, I would like to build a rig that could reach out to 800+yards at the range and 600+ yards for hunting, and as accurate as possible.

Specs:

6.5 GAP 4S
Templar V2 SA with integral 20 MOA rail and recoil lug
Manners EH-1 100% CF Stock (30oz)
Timney 510 2# Trigger
APA SA DBM Floor Metal
March 2.5-25x42 (or 52) Scope with MTR-3 illuminated reticle
APA Little Bastard Brake (Gen 1 - fitted)

Trying to choose between the following barrels (both would be at 1:8 twist):

Bartlein GAP #6 contour-fluted (basically a Bartlein #13 Sendero with an extra inch at the 1.250 base) (weighs approximately 5lbs) (not sure if I want to go 24" or 26")
Proof Research Sendero (26") (weighs 3.3lbs)

GAP will guaranty 3/8 MOA accuracy with the Bartlein but not the Proof. I like the reduced weight of the proof for a hunting rig. Figure the little bastard brake will make the recoil manageable and the reduced weight at the front end seems like it would make any offhand shot a lot easier to make.

I understand the increased weight of the Bartlein will help reduce recoil and take follow up shots, the real question is whether I would be able to notice any difference in accuracy between the two. With the fluting, the price difference between the two is not huge.

The one other idea I had was to use the same specs (except a custom, flush brake) indicated above, but with a Manners MCS-PRS 1 (48oz) or MCS-T2 (33oz) tactical stock and a Proof Research 26" 1.2 bull barrel (weighs 3.8lbs). I understand that CF is stiffer than steel by weight, but that a CF barrel will be less stiff than a steel barrel of the same contour. But I have seen very few people ever use the Proof bull contour, which seems like a viable option considering there isn't much of an increase in weight. Of course I would have to find one (Stocky's is "backordered" and no one else seems to carry this countour), but I could always order one from the factory. Also, it would seem like heat dissipation, POI shift, etc would all be reduced. Lastly, it would look pretty badass.

Any and all commentary and experience is appreciated. Let me know if I need to give any more details.

Sounds like that will be a nice rifle. I’ve got a GAP on order now. I’d go with the Bartlein. If you’re going to buy a GAP, you might as well ring every bit of accuracy out of it as you can. That Manners EH-1 might push your lead time out quite a bit if they have to order it. When I was working through different options with them, special order stocks pushed the lead time from 6 months out to 10 months. Maybe not a big deal to you but something to keep in mind

I have rifles built with proof barrels that shoot under 3/8 MOA. I’d put the proof barrels right up their with any all steel barrel.

For a hunting rig id go with the proof.

I have been going down the same road. Bought my stock with a sendero contour so need to decide on bartlein or proof. It's going to be a hunting rig for 500-700yds. I've carried a Rem 5r hunting and it's heavy, but manageable for hunting.

My last Gap hunting rig was a fluted #3 with a EH1 and almost 7lbs on the nose. About perfect.

I have been going down the same road. Bought my stock with a sendero contour so need to decide on bartlein or proof. It's going to be a hunting rig for 500-700yds. I've carried a Rem 5r hunting and it's heavy, but manageable for hunting.

My last Gap hunting rig was a fluted #3 with a EH1 and almost 7lbs on the nose. About perfect.

The Bartlein and Proof sendero contours are supposedly different. Not sure if your stock will fit a Proof sendero.

uu

Yeah. I love that weight, but I was shooting a friend's rifle with the similar barrel contour and was really frustrated how long I had to wait between shots when practicing at the range. I know you're supposed to build a rifle towards one purpose (i.e. bench or hunting), but I'd really like a hunting rig that could handle longer strings. If I can't get in a lot of practice, my skills will never improve with it to the point that I can even take advantage of the rifle's accuracy.