• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft GAP Camo for a M1a stock, pics included

bugman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2006
western Penna.
I've had a mid 1990's SA M1a for some time. It has a beautiful walnut stock, NM stainless barrel and trigger group. It is what SA called their "loaded version".

Decided to do a camo project, but didn't want to paint the receiver and didn't want to touch that beautiful walnut. Also didn't want to paint the scope because it is just on there temporarily. I was happy with the looks of a GAP bolt gun that I have....I had GAP black cerakote the barrel and receiver, and I liked the way it looked in a GAP camo MacMillan A5.

So, the project was to not spend a lot of money, get a synthetic stock for Krylon, cover the stainless barrel, and install a cheekpiece.

It turned out better than expected. So I thought I'd go thru the steps I took because this might help someone else. Sorry for the poor quality pics (cheap camera).

STEP 1: Get yourself a synthetic stock. I've seen used SA synthetic stocks for sale on different web sites, but I decided to buy a USGI synthetic stock from Fred's.... www.fredsm14stocks.com. Fred's inventory changes all the time, but when I got mine I bought the cheapest grade they had. For 45 bucks I got a M14 stock, handguard and butt plate. This stock was beat up. Lots of gouges, crud, and I had to deal with the selector cut out. First thing you need to do is take off the butt plate and swivels and degrease it. I used brake cleaner. Next comes some elbow grease and a lot of sanding on the old paint. Then I got a small can of auto body filler putty and filled in all the gouges and selector cut out. Sanded all the repaired areas and she looked GTG. I even hit the butt plate and swivels with some cold blue.

STEP 2: Get an adjustable cheek piece. For the first several years, I used the rifle with open sights. Then switched to an Aimpoint. By the way, I picked up a used third generation SA base. I know there are better/more expensive mounts out there, but I've been satisfyed with the SA. Blue locktite is your friend. Anyway, the Aimpoint went on a M4 and I switched to a 2-7x Leupold as a temporary answer. If you run a scope on your M1a you will need a cheekpiece. I bought one from Karsten, a Hide member. Contact him at [email protected] or PM him here.The cheekpiece is synthetic and adjustable and costs around 55 bucks. Installation is easy with a drill press, but you can do it with a portable drill. Very little prep is needed here. Just rough it up with sand paper and degrease with alcohol or acetone.

STEP 3: Get what you need for the paint job. Paint was about 5 dollars a can, and the painters tape is around 6 bucks for a 2 inch roll. Blue painters tape comes off easier and won't pull the paint if you are in a hurry. Now is the time to change the blade on your exacto knife. I used Krylon Camoflage paint in tan, black and OD to match the GAP camo.This stuff has "fusion" and really sticks to plastic/synthetics and is very flat sheen. The can of Rustoleum High Heat was for the stainless barrel. I have no experience with how this will work. If it flakes off, I've got plenty left in the can.
Alisphotos004.jpg

STEP4: After roughing up all the surfaces with either steel wool or sandpaper, degrease again with denatured alcohol. Time to start rattling cans. Start by spraying everything with the tan Krylon.
Alisphotos005.jpg

STEP 5: Let the tan dry for an hour. Get your blue painters tape and stick it on the areas you want to remain tan. Just stick the tape on in blocks, then come back with the exacto knife and cut the shapes that you want.Think in reverse...everything that you want to remain tan in color will be under the shapes you've created with the exacto knife.
Alisphotos006.jpg

STEP 6: Paint everything, even the painters tape you just laid down, in black. Let it dry for an hour. NO photo shown for this step.

STEP 7: Do the painters tape thing again as described in step 5. Except everything you cover this time will remain black. Look carefully and you can see the outline of the first taped shapes you laid down for the tan...this will help you get your bearings for placing the tape to cover your black color.
Alisphotos007.jpg

STEP 8: Paint everything in OD. No tape needed this time. Everything that wasn't covered for tan or black will be OD. I let it all dry til the next day. You probably don't need to wait that long because this camo Krylon dries really fast.
Alisphotos008.jpg

STEP 9: Carefully remove all the tape and your finished. I decided to do another step and spray over the camo job with polyurethane. This was done to make the surfaces more chip and chemical resistant. Its up to you, but if you decide to do this make sure that the poly you get is oil based and flat or satin sheen. I used Minwax satin sheen because I already had some. A can costs around 5 dollars. Anyway, hang the stock, forend and cheekpiece and have at it. Three coats should do.
Alisphotos009.jpg

STEP 10: I let the poly dry for one day. If it has a little more sheen than you like you can try very fine steel wool. Or get some pumice (from a craft store or ask your dentist for a little). Mix the pumice with water until it is a slurry. Wrap your index finger in a old wash cloth, dab it into the slurry and GENTLY rub the poly surface. this will take off any sheen and still leave plenty of poly for protection.

STEP 11: the barrel. Degrease with brake cleaner. Tape it off. Hang it up and hit it with the Rustoleum high heat flat black. Like I said I have no ideahow this will hold up.
Alisphotos010.jpg

STEP 12: Put it all back together and here she is. Not a full camo job with grass shadings as seems to be more popular. But something to consider if you are not going to cover all the steel and like GAP camo. Total cost for the stock, forend, butt plate, cheek piece, and all paint materials was around 125 bucks.
camojob003.jpg

camojob002.jpg

Here she is with her sister, a GAP Crusader
camojob001.jpg

Hope this helps someone out and saves you some time

Jack

Last edited:
Re: GAP Camo for a M1a stock, pics included

FANTASTIC - - keep us posted on how it holds up.

That is sweet looking,Good job.

You bastard! Now i have to paint my rifle
wink.gif
Very nice work!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sick!
I think I may go with tan on my FAM14. What adjustable comb did you use, or did that come from Fred's also? </div></div>

That looks like one of Karsten's to me.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I appreciate it.

Update....Ran around 150 rounds thru her yesterday. This wasn't slow/controlled fire. We were busting rocks and clay birds in an old strip mine, and the barrel got pretty hot. Anyway, that rustoleum "high heat" paint that I used on the barrel stood up to the job. The "high heat" paint must expand and contract pretty good. Might not hold up to cleaning chemicals, but will see.

I am surprised/pleased with the polyurethane overcoat. Once it had several days to dry, 90% of the sheen disappeared. I used another brand of poly on another camo project, and had to use pumice to get rid of the shine....but this Minwax satin sheen is tough stuff and I think will be GTG for a long time.

Yo switchblade45, Torfinn is right. That cheekpiece is one of Karstens (a Hide member).

Jack

Impact, no pic. Just go to any Ace Hardware or Lowes and get a 12 oz spray can of Minwax poly. The can is black and gold color. Be sure it is oil based and satin sheen.

Is that a Springfield mount on that M1A?

All I can say is WOW!! I was going to sell my M1A as it has the supermatch stock and is heavy as hell. Now I am going to do exactly what you did and keep it for the little $$ it will cost. Thanks for all of the information and detail you provided. I hope it will be as easy for me to do this project as you portray it to be and turns out half as good as yours.

I'm in the process of using this how-to guide on my Rem 700. I've already laid the base coat of tan, and am about to start placing the tape. I'm painting the scope and barrel as well.

Very nice job. I'll try it on a mcmillan stocked NM M1A when I get stateside and post the results.

So how is it holding up- paint sticking alright- not rubbing off at all ??

This deserves a sticky for sure. Someone with some power in here should have it done.

Nice post and nice work! Going to experiment on my sons air rifle with it lol.

LW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sick!
I think I may go with tan on my FAM14. What adjustable comb did you use, or did that come from Fred's also? </div></div>

Damn Switch, you oldass...Put your glasses on when you read...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I bought one from Karsten, a Hide member. Contact him at [email protected] or PM him here... </div></div>

grin.gif

BTW : Anytime you want to sell it...I don't need the scope or the rings. The rest I'll take though!

Jack

Wow. Your stick turned out really good! I'm thinking about doing this to my 700p.

awesome job bugman
looks as good if not better that the gap
thanks for the post

Update........

put 650-700 rounds thru the weapon since I first posted this. The krylon with the poly overcoat on the USGI stock has held up really well. This is not a working rifle, but it is not babied by any means.

The rustoleum "high heat"that I used on the barrel has finallly started to come off. I attribute this to the Butch's I've been using. After a few scratches got on the barrel, the chemicals worked their way under the paint and it started to peel. No big deal. I just rattled the same can and should be GTG for another 9 months. Bottom line is that I am still impressed with this "high heat" paint for the barrel. This weapon is rarely control fired, and the barrel is usually too hot to touch...the heat wasn't the reason the paint started to peel off.

Jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simply

Fucking

Bad

Ass</div></div>

I concur

Great job. Thanks for the info. I'm now inspired to try one myself!

Has anyone applied the non-bake duracoat themselves? I have a 5r and want to cover up all the stainless. Was thinking the black duracoat would be good and permanent for the metal and going for a gap camo on the stock.

Can you duracoat the bolt?

The permanence of the duracoat is appealing unless I were to screw up applying it which is entirely possible...

Anyone tried this?

If that was your first try at GAP camo that is one hell of a job.

Does look badass!
Mark

Bugman - thanks fortaking the time to explain your paint job. Looks as good as the gap paint!