• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Crusader .308 Pics & Range Report

LangJihad

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2009
SLC, UT - USA
<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">GA Precision Crusader .308 w/Picatinny Rail</span></span>
NF NXS 5.5-22 X 50 - NP-R1
Harris w/ARMS 17 (podlock on order *thanks TRIAD!)

I lucked into this rifle as GAP happened to have one sitting around (big thanks to Mike from AAC for the lead). George was quick to respond via emails and Lisa was very patient with me (I know she must receive a billion calls a day). I ordered 2X - 5rd, 2X - 10rd, and a Storm Case. This rifle shipped with Badger Low Rings and a TIS Sling (included with the Crusader purchase).

The Rifle is a work of art. When I picked it up from my FFL in SLC the guys there (Gallenson's) pretty much stopped what they were doing to admire this WMD.

The matte CeraKote job (Mil Spec OD) is something you just have to see for yourself as no picture can do it the justice it deserves. The contrast it has against the GAP camo McMillan A5 stock is pretty much badass.
SHide097.jpg

SHide013.jpg

SHide011.jpg

SHide012.jpg

SHide004.jpg

SHide005.jpg

Big thanks to Lisa at Rifles Only for having Tac-Ready drop ship the tac-ball and tacticles in this pic. (Tab gear order in too)
SHide014.jpg

Although a little more than the average price you can get a storm case for, ordering it from GAP with your rifle is the way to go. I'm not sure who at GAP cut this for my rifle but it was perfect and saved me a lot of time. Thanks to whoever did this in shipping, I owe you a 12 pack.
SHide032.jpg

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">First shots - Today 2/28/09</span></span>

I want to give a major shot out to RussW1911 (another HUGE GAP fan). He's pretty much taken me on as a Padawan. Advice, help mounting, zeroing, and just being a general bad-ass dude. I met him through the hide and I'm willing to bet the majority of guys on here would be just as cool as Russ.

We met up this morning South of Tooele UT (top secret location). As we pulled in we put up a 25X15 Steel man (LV Steel Targets I believe) at 930 yds. We then setup a 10" Circle at 550 yds. This was a unique site as there were several draws/gullies that could make for some interesting wind situations. We positioned ourselves on a higher ridge.

Jake ran a zeroing target down range while Russ laz'd it for a solid 100 yds. As the barrel was brand new I followed the break in process and within a few rounds the copper was null and void. I would have had a sub 1/4 MOA zero but I pulled a shot (noob) and ended up with about 1/2 MOA group. The rifle is capable of much more than I am at the moment.

Rather than engaging the near target, Russ helped me set up for the 930 yd shot. He was using a ballistic program on his iPhone that was pretty much spot on. I adjusted my NF for 30 MOA and had a delayed "ring" on my second shot (longest shot I'd ever taken and a super big rush of "fuck ya"). We put quite a few more rounds down range and moved up to the 550 yd target. This was much easier having fired on the 930 for some time. As I finished up the last of my ammo (Federal Match 168 grain) I loaded up a 10 rd mag and <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">HIT 9 OUT OF 10 ROUNDS AT 930 YARDS!!!</span></span>

RussW1911 w/my Crusader (his buddy Jake in the background - super cool guy as well)
SHide078.jpg

Me (LangJihad) <span style="font-style: italic">*new long range crack addict</span>
*of note, Russ has real gear. This packing blanket was my ghetto shit. TRIAD would know me as the "big ass multicam order guy" (real gear will be here next week).
SHide081.jpg

Russ is going to give me some reloading guidance now as well. I'm switching to BH 175 gr and will rezero. I'm certain my groupings and abilities will only improve. I'm planning to attend Rifles Only Precision Rifle 1&2 Combo in May. I've also subscribed to the "Sniper's Hide Online Training Forum" (worth way more than $10 a month IMHO).

This rifle is simply amazing. Although the sticker shock might intimidate some, I can promise you, it's worth every penny. I know now what everyone who owns or has shot a GAP rifle on the hide is talking about... 110% badass period.

This is by far the greatest thing I've ever owned.

Chris "LangJihad" Langehaug

Re: GAP Crusader .308 Pics & Range Report

Very nice rifle! and sounds like some good shooting!

I am actaully talking to Russ right now about possibly buying one of his scopes! I someday hope to beable to hit targets at 900+ yards! but i still have a ways to go with that, and well honestly still have a good bit of life left in me (only being 18 years old!, gotta get a early jump/addiction to shooting distance haha)

Awsome write-up.

Can we get an overhead shot of the weapon in its case?
Im curious as to how it was all layed out. Looks like the barrel channel was cut full length, and plugged up with what the barrel didnt fill.

Very cool! Glad you had fun today bro.

You give me too much credit..... That area is pretty tough when shooting from the south towards the north. There's a lake on our left and a bunch of draws coming fromt the right. Lots of crosswinds and one helluva a swirl around the target. The worst part was the fishtail wind right where we were.

Obviously you guys saw that Chris got a dang nice rifle from the boys at GAP. Once we got him zeroed at 100, like he said, I pumped the info into my phone and he proceeded to folow my bad wind call....in my defense I was banging that steel with my '06 AI and 200 gr bullets, thats why I made the bad call for him.... anyhow, 2nd round was on target and he pumped rounds downrange for a while.

Just for kicks we did some position shooting and fired at the 550 yd target for a bit.

For the record Chris and I, standing at 930 yards, only missed the target by about 2 feet with his new GAP. Jake was WAAAY off.

Was a good time and Chris caught on quick. Will be linking up and pressing the trigger a lot more with Chris.

Thanks again bro!

Great looking rifle, GAP makes a fine product. I have never heard of a unpleased owner.

OW

Nice rifle
smile.gif
nothing like hearing that "goong" after taking a long shoot. it's addictive
grin.gif

Langehaug? a good Norwegian name, do you have your roots in scandinavia?

Awesome rifle, and glad you are having so much fun!

know exactly what your saying, when you picked it up. i was the same way the guys all stopped to admire........

Very cool. Sounds like a lot of fun.

You mentioned the 175s as your choice for your reloads. I have found the Lapua 155s to be good in my setup. You should play around with different loads/projectiles until you find the one that best suits your setup.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Nice rifle and a good read!! I have a GAP ordered and cannot wait to get it in my hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soul Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool. Sounds like a lot of fun.

You mentioned the 175s as your choice for your reloads. I have found the Lapua 155s to be good in my setup. You should play around with different loads/projectiles until you find the one that best suits your setup.

Congrats on the new purchase. </div></div>

He doesn't have any loading gear yet

I'm putting together a list to get him started.

We'll start out with 175s since he has the shorter barrel and they might work out pretty good

I have some 155s that he can try out as well.

All in good time bro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we get an overhead shot of the weapon in its case?</div></div>

This case in particular is modular. I was able to pull out a couple sections (bipod area and tacticals) to accommodate what I wanted in the case. You are correct on the added piece being plugged for a snug fit on the barrel. They cut along the stock for it to fit like a glove. Other than pulling out a couple of the modular sections, the only adjustment I made was to lengthen the scope area to accommodate my NF w/sun shade.

SHide098.jpg

SHide099.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sirKandal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Langehaug? a good Norwegian name, do you have your roots in scandinavia? </div></div>

Ya, 3rd generation

I must say that I am green with envy that out west you boys have cooler places to shoot.

Enjoy!

You're hooked now, man.
wink.gif

Say goodbye to your savings and hello to a new group of friends!
laugh.gif

Beautiful rifle, Its always fun to see the new kid hit at extended range, you can't wipe the shit eating grin off their face. Congrats!!

Mike