• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Crusader (At the range)

cramey74

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2011
Joplin Mo
Loaded up the Crusader and went to the range for a little while today. This is not my first time out with this rifle but it is the first time I have ran handloads through it. The Crusader is boring accurate @ 100 yds which seems to be the theme for all GAP rifles. I sold everything I had related to long range shooting and started from scratch. I purchased this rifle along with a new AI-AE MKIII both chambered in .308 because I could not settle on which platform I wanted to go with so I "Bit The Bullet" so to speak... I would not suggest this method unless you have an understanding Wife and you HATE money.. I really like the Templar action it is silky smooth and locks up tight, also I did not know if I would keep the stock remington trigger that GA worked over but I think I'll leave it I really don't see a need for anything else. I am really happy with the GAP and aside from threading for a suppressor I would not change a thing about it.. I know most of you already know but here are the specs.

GA Precision (Crusader) .308
Templar Short Action
Bartlein 1:11.25 23" #7 Barrel
McMillan A5 molded in GAP Camo
Badger M5 DBM
Stock Remington trigger (GAP)
Atlas pic rail
Atlas QD V8 Bi-Pod
Triad Tactical stock pack

Nightforce 3.5-15X50 F1 Mil-Spec
Badger Med. rings

168gr SMK
44.0 gr. Varget
Federal brass
CCI primer

GAPRng4_zpsd633fcb1.jpg

GAPRng3_zps8a4eb68e.jpg

GAPRng2_zps64bfefea.jpg

GAPRng1_zpsbf00bcfd.jpg

GAPGrp_zpsbe7d06cb.jpg

Re: GAP Crusader (At the range)

I'd say about .5" more elevation and she'd be perfect! Great looking shooter you go there.

Congrats on the sweet stick. What a shooter.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cramey74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I purchased this rifle along with a new AI-AE MKIII both chambered in .308 because I could not settle on which platform I wanted to go with so I "Bit The Bullet" so to speak... </div></div>

I am considering either a GAP Crusader or an AI/AE and would really value your side by side comparison/evaluation since you have them both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lIMAMIKE56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cramey74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I purchased this rifle along with a new AI-AE MKIII both chambered in .308 because I could not settle on which platform I wanted to go with so I "Bit The Bullet" so to speak... </div></div>

I am considering either a GAP Crusader or an AI/AE and would really value your side by side comparison/evaluation since you have them both. </div></div>+2 on that. Many posters have said if they could only own one rifle it would be an AI/AE but I haven't seen any evidence that they perform any better than a custom rifle.

Well MIKE56 both rifles are amazing so you really can't go wrong with either.. They cost virtually the same money and in terms of accuracy and repeatability are so close I cannot tell them apart. Although they are as different as can be in ergonomics and appearance I personally find it very easy to jump from one to the other and shoot them well.. With that said I give a slight advantage to the AI-AE simply because the way it is built.. I am not saying the GAP is not built well (it is of course) but the Accuracy Int. is built to take a severe beating and keep going.. I won't get into the fine details of each but I really did buy both because I could not make up my mind and I could not be happier with them. So bottom line buy whatever makes you feel good neither will dissapoint.. Here is a link to the review I did on the AI-AE MKIII sorry I am no poet sometimes I have a hard time trying to convey what I'm thinking into words.. best of luck Chris R.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...561#Post3810561

Chris, Thanks for your thoughts and link to the review of your AI. Any problem adapting to using the thumbhole stock? Do you find it takes longer to come out of the thumbhole stock to work the bolt? Also I have small hands and was concerned about the size of the pistol grip which looks larger than the GAP Crusader. Any issues there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lIMAMIKE56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris, Thanks for your thoughts and link to the review of your AI. Any problem adapting to using the thumbhole stock? Do you find it takes longer to come out of the thumbhole stock to work the bolt? Also I have small hands and was concerned about the size of the pistol grip which looks larger than the GAP Crusader. Any issues there? </div></div>

No problem Mike... I do not have any trouble with the thumbhole I think it is very comfortable as far as speed it will not slow you down.. I also think if you were going to have trouble with the thumbhole it would be because of having large hands...

Hello, If you dont' mind me asking, what spotting scope is that? Leupold?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlouie87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, If you dont' mind me asking, what spotting scope is that? Leupold? </div></div>

That is a Leupold Mark 4 12-40X60 mounted on a Leupold compact tripod

absolutely beautiful rifle, im wanting the exact same thing. What color did they do the Cerakote?? It looks black or is it std OD green

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbaird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">absolutely beautiful rifle, im wanting the exact same thing. What color did they do the Cerakote?? It looks black or is it std OD green </div></div>

Thank You.... OD Green

thank you!!! That is one very fine rifle . gonna copy you:)

couple questions if u dont mind,,,, did you add the Atlas picatinny rail and did you purchase scope from Gap and if not did you mount scope thanks Drew

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbaird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">couple questions if u dont mind,,,, did you add the Atlas picatinny rail and did you purchase scope from Gap and if not did you mount scope thanks Drew </div></div>

Don't mind a bit.... No I did not install the Atlas rail I had GAP install it... The Scope,Atlas rail and Bi-Pod were purchased from Rangerwalker71 here on the Hide...
I installed and zeroed the scope if you aren't able GAP will do it for you... I highly recommend Rangerwalker71 for your accessories...

Try this load. 48.0 2000 mr. 175 smk. 2.236 to ogive. Fgm 210 m. (Got same rifle ... Specs and all. ) You'll be on at 1,000 easy. And you'll gain 95 fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this load. 48.0 2000 mr. 175 smk. 2.236 to ogive. Fgm 210 m. (Got same rifle ... Specs and all. ) You'll be on at 1,000 easy. And you'll gain 95 fps </div></div>

Will try thanks... Chris R

Nice setup!

After shooting the rifle are you satisfied without having an adjustable cheek weld?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3wide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice setup!

After shooting the rifle are you satisfied without having an adjustable cheek weld? </div></div>

Thanks... I can adjust it via the stock pack. I do not feel the need for an adjustable cheek rest on this rifle

Sick Rifle and Good Shooting too!

One day...Hopefully a dream will come true...One soon...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGTOOTH5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sick Rifle and Good Shooting too!

One day...Hopefully a dream will come true...One soon... </div></div>

Thank you Gents!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah! I'm getting one. What are the scope rings and what height are they? Thanks. </div></div>

Badger Ordnance rings mediums

cramey74
Great rifle, great shooting; obviously the trigger is to remain in this rifle. If it did not work, GAP would not put it in their rifles; George built a "few" rifles with that trigger.
Funny comment about the "understanding wife and hate money" but so true, thanks for a good laugh.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

You should ship that thing north and let me try it out. I love my GAP 308, but still cannot help lusting after a Crusader--beautiful rig, form and function. Think I will have to order one soon.