• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Custom Build Recommendations

Knobby

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2012
AR guy here wanting to get into a little long range shooting with some friends.

Have been doing some research and think I have decided on to go with a GAP custom build. I'm looking to build a M40A1'ish looking rifle with a Templar action.

Starting off with GAP Base Custom Rifle @ 2900.00

GAP base custom comes with GAP's site says the base custom comes with McMillan M40A-1 HTG.

I want the McMillion M40A1-HTG in forest camo. Not sure if the Forest Green will be extra $$$.

Will add the following upgrades

Templar Action $460.00
Jewell Trigger $265.00
Badger Ord M4 trigger guard $305.00

This would total up to $3930.00

Now for some questions...

Is the Jewell Trigger worth it? Since I'm upgrading to the Templar action is any trigger group included with the action? If so, do I really need the Jewell trigger?

It looks like the Templar action comes with a rail scope base on the top of the action? So I'm thinking I won't need to buy a scope base?

Can't decide if I should go with the Badger Ord M4 trigger guard in steel or alloy. Alloy is about 1/2 the weight. Cost is same I think.
Any recommendations here?

Any other options I should consider?

Re: GAP Custom Build Recommendations

"Is the Jewell Trigger worth it? Since I'm upgrading to the Templar action is any trigger group included with the action? If so, do I really need the Jewell trigger?" For field gun stick with reworked Remington

Can't decide if I should go with the Badger Ord M4 trigger guard in steel or alloy. Alloy is about 1/2 the weight. Cost is same I think." I would go with Alloy. Plent strong and much lighter

You will love your GAP
Any recommendations here?

honestly i would just do the a reworked remington, they are plenty nice from GAP, you will not need a scope base, and the m4 trigger guard is really nice so i would do that. you'll love the templar, i love mine.

If your willing to spend that much on it already might as well get yourself a Crusader and call it a day.

My .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knobby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want the McMillion M40A1-HTG in forest camo.</div></div>

I know these stocks can get expensive but I've never heard them called "McMillions!"

I recommend a stock other than the HTG that has a higher or adjustable comb. If you are going with a 40mm objective lens the HTG may work for you but anything larger and you will probably need to build up your cheek weld somehow.

I like the A1-3 with rings that are .823" high on a Badger base and a scope with a 50mm objective lens as this just fits me and doesn't require any cheek pad and the objective just barely clears the barrel.

Both McMillan and Manners have options that are higher or adjustable from the factory. Do it right the first time.

Get the Remington trigger worked over by the guys in the shop. They said the jewel is a lot more particular about field use. For an extra $40 you can get the M5 with the detachable mag setup, which to me is the way to go. Either way I would go steel. If i am ever worried about the weight of a rifle, the way to solve that problem is in the weight room and not in the shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pvt_Snowballs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your willing to spend that much on it already might as well get yourself a Crusader and call it a day.
</div></div>
This is really good advice, especially if you dont want to wait as long. I ordered a full custom and they said 10-12 months, which is fine for me cuz i wont graduate until may 2013. The stock in whatever color you choose will take a while, but if you get the crusader then they may have the parts in stock, or someone will back out of a build and you will get bumped up. I went with the manners T2A with paint from shortbus, and would recommend you take a hard look at the KMW adjustable cheekpiece, because it is among the best made. This is all personal preference because the bottom line is that it will still be a GAP and it will not disappoint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redroan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If i am ever worried about the weight of a rifle, the way to solve that problem is in the weight room and not in the shop.</div></div>

For some reason, this sentence just stood out. It would seem to me that if one is worried about weight, that you would reduce it where you can really notice the difference, like the barrel contour or stock. Alloy rings or trigger guard is in the noise compared to MTU barrel vs a sendero or sporter or a stock with all the adjustable hardware so many people here on the Hide love instead of settling for a triad tactical stock pack with velcro shims to adjust comb.

Knobby, I know that rant was a little off topic, but my point is that alloy vs steel for little accessory pieces won't make much of a difference overall weight wise. Get what you think is rugged and gives you confidence in your rifle; that is most important. The build you have sounds very nice, but what are you looking at for a barrel? You going to get flutes to reduce weight (another $150)? What about a muzzle break (you'll want that if you plan on shooting a magnum)?

My wife uses a Timney and I use a Jewell (Jewells have always come with rifles I have purchased). Both work great. I've never used a reworked remington, but I would definitely give one a try if it came tuned. If I didn't like it, a new Timney is only a little over $100.

Something else to consider is that for the money you are looking at spending, might want to consider having Robert Gradous build you something on the M40-A1 with a Surgeon 591/R. You might get quoted a shorter build time. I'm not fortunate enough to own a rifle built by him, but after seeing pics of Bob Swagger's Gradous build on the Hide, I would love to have one!

Best of luck.

Everyone has given good advise. I was in your shoes not too long ago and found a Crusader for sale here on the hide, I don't regret it one bit. The trigger is as nice as they say from GAP. I sent my McM stock to stockDoc here on the hide and had him install the KMW in it, MCM does not install these but Manners does. I would get the following...OH, I am
smile.gif

Crusader
GAP Rem Trigger
KMW
M5
Feed ramp cut for AW mags
Brake added and extra thread protector (some matches here do not allow brakes)
Barrel fluting is up to you

Then start making itty bitty holes!!!
You'll love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redroan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If i am ever worried about the weight of a rifle, the way to solve that problem is in the weight room and not in the shop.</div></div>

Get what you think is rugged and gives you confidence in your rifle; that is most important.
</div></div>

Hardly a rant, rather a valid point. In fact we are saying the same thing. If I add two pounds to a rifle and it will shoot better or be more reliable then that is better than skimping to save weight and losing the reliability. However, a heavier rifle does not always mean it is more rugged either, so like most things in life (women would be an exception to this rule) this has to be approached with research and common sense. I just tend to err on the side of the brick $hit house rather versus the shovel with TP around the handle. Both will get the job done.

To the OP, LT LGB made a good point about the break. I went with the surefire.

Just out of sheer curiosity, what is the wait time on a GAP rifle? They seem to be extremely popular on this forum and seem to be a great product. I'm having a rifle built right now by APA and am on the tail end of an almost 7 month wait. Any ideas?

10-12 months?!

I can build an AR in my garage in a few hours!

I might could wait 4-6 weeks but 10-12 months?

This has me thinking about just throwing in the towel on a bolt action, getting a Larue PredatOBR 7.62 and calling it a day.

That was my thought at first too. Jered, over at APA ensured me the custom rifle was worth the wait. I will be the first to admit, the wait is absolutely killing me. I have purchased all of the goodies that are going to go with my rig already, they're just sitting neatly piled up in my closet collecting dust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knobby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10-12 months?!

I can build an AR in my garage in a few hours!

I might could wait 4-6 weeks but 10-12 months?

This has me thinking about just throwing in the towel on a bolt action, getting a Larue PredatOBR 7.62 and calling it a day.

</div></div>

Speaking of Larue and hijacking my own thread, has anyone seen these pics Larue just posted of the Larue facilities?
Wow!

http://www.laruetactical.com/machining-operation-tour

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
redroan said:
Something else to consider is that for the money you are looking at spending, might want to consider having Robert Gradous build you something on the M40-A1 with a Surgeon 591/R. You might get quoted a shorter build time. I'm not fortunate enough to own a rifle built by him, but after seeing pics of Bob Swagger's Gradous build on the Hide, I would love to have one!
</div></div>

If I get a crazy wait time out from GAP I may check this guy out. He's only about 60 miles away.

If you don't like the waiting time there are lots of fine rifles on sale on this site everyday so I am sure within a week or two you will find exactly what you want without the wait.

Perhaps PCR is worth a shot if GAP or Gradous have really long lead times:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2726767&page=3

Another option, may be a bit expensive, but Stephen at Surgeon Rifles could probably get something out to you in a few weeks (my build should hopefully arrive from them by the end of the month).

JSTARZ has a pretty good recommendation too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knobby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
redroan said:
</div></div>

If I get a crazy wait time out from GAP I may check this guy out. He's only about 60 miles away. </div></div>

Robert is currently at 4-5 months. If they're in demand, there's going to be a wait.

if you want a trigger pull less than 2.5 lbs, you might want to go with the jewell trigger. if you are good with 2.5 or more, than i think the remy trigger will be ok. just my humble opinion.

Quick update... After pulling my hair out for the last month I just ordered an FNH SPR A3G from Cheaper than dirt.

It's not "custom" but I think I'll be happy with it.

Now need to decide on Scope and rings. Probably going to go with a Nightforce. Any ring recommendations would be appreciated.

Good choice on the rifle. NF F1 mil/mil , comes with rings, would be a great choice for glass. Check out lots of reticles while you are shopping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LT JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps PCR is worth a shot if GAP or Gradous have really long lead times:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2726767&page=3

Another option, may be a bit expensive, but Stephen at Surgeon Rifles could probably get something out to you in a few weeks (my build should hopefully arrive from them by the end of the month).

JSTARZ has a pretty good recommendation too. </div></div>

The guys at PCR are topnotch to deal with, I highly recomend them, you wont go wrong. They have quick turnarounds, I think right now is about 2 months for a full build.