• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP M40A1 Range Report

rogers0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Camp Lejeune and elsewhere
Hey guys...figured it was about time to post a range report for my GA Precision built to USMC specs M40a1. I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures, my camera broke overseas so used my fiancees iphone.

Took the gun to the range today, just wanted to post a few pictures of the rifle as well as my zero target. This gun is sweet! The trigger is about 10 times better then my work gun, which is an m40a3. I never used an m40a1 before, its always been the a3 for me, so when I contacted GAP, I wanted an a1 for the nostalgic value. I am still trying to teach myself the scope, but this is meant to be about the rifle itself. This rifle will not be a safe queen. I plan on abusing it as much as possible. After I get some decent data and teach myself the scope, I plan on shooting some comps with it and taking it out hunting. I chose a new stock for it rather then a return stock because truthfully, I didnt see a need for a return stock since I am a sniper myself, and I dont plan on selling this rifle at any point.

Compared to the m40a3's mcmillan a4 stock, this stock has a much longer length of pull, I am a short dude so this is the hardest thing for me so far. I still need to build a cheek piece for this gun, if anyone wants, I can post how to do it, but my plan is to build a cheek piece later this weekend and place the Eagle cheek piece on top of it. The action is incredibly smooth, again, definitely nicer then my a3. Looking closely at the rifle, you can definitely see the attention to detail that George and his crew put into their work.

The gun easily holds under a half minute of angle no problem. I have no doubt it will shoot very tiny groups once I'm able to get it out to farther yard lines. I am anxious to shoot federal match ammo through it, right now I am using Lake City LR 118 175 grain HPBT ammo.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I put about 80 rounds through it today, but the only target I brought home was my zero target. Zero was done at 100 yards, The first shot is the one on the upper left, adjusted down 2nd shot was low and to the left still, 3rd shot was pure luck in terms of adjusting and hit in the center. After I put that 3rd round into the center, I figured I had a good zero, tightened the set screws, and put a 5 round group right through the center. I put an earplug on the target to give you guys a reference. These shots were all taken off of a pack as a support. Thanks George!

photo15.jpg

Some more pictures of the rifle itself

photo16.jpg

photo17.jpg

photo18.jpg

photo19.jpg

Once again, I apologize for the quality of the photos, but I figured something was better than nothing!

Re: GAP M40A1 Range Report

That is a great rifle and I know it shoots the way you say. Im happy for you man. So when you going to paint it?

I think that'll be the next rifle I build. I was hoping I was done with the AI, but the more I see of these the more I want one.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that'll be the next rifle I build. I was hoping I was done with the AI, but the more I see of these the more I want one.

Cut </div></div>

Me Too!! Love the M40a1. That will be my next project when I get my FN issues all worked out.
Very very nice, now paint it.....:)

Nice looking rifle and accurate to boot. You will really like that MST100 scope, a little different than the S&B that you use on your M40A3, good luck with her.

Glad you like it, I just picked up a GAP M40A1 with a MST-100, the first outing last Sunday. Also have a GAP M40A3, both builds are by Eric Reid while he was at GAP. I share you feeling about the A1, really like it.

Good luck with the new one and keep up the good work we all appreciate your service.

Take care,

merlinn

So what did you supply the gentlemen at GAP with for the build? If you do not mind me asking what do you have wrapped up in that particular build? Very nice looking gun indeed and good to hear it will not be a safe queen. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still need to build a cheek piece for this gun, if anyone wants, I can post how to do it, </div></div>
interested in this.

Good lookin rifle, and nice shooting
smile.gif

Ok if you guys want me to start another thread with some pictures and better explanation let me know. But heres how to make the cheekpiece. All you need to do is take an iso mat, which is the sleeping mat issued. Im sure you can find it online for about 10 bucks. Basically cut 2 inch strips, only as wide as the width of the stock where your cheek rests. Take duct tape and FIRMLY tape the 1st strip of iso mat onto stock. You want to make sure its taped down nice and tight, because if not, it will gradually rise over time. For me, I use about 3 pieces of mat taped on top of each other. Make sure you wrap the tape completely around the pieces of mat. Basically, when all is said and done, you want your cheek to rest evenly on your cheekpiece so that when you place your cheek on it and look through the scope, you have zero scope shadow. The key is to make sure you tape the mat far enough to the rear that you can still extract the bolt. Again, if this isnt clear enough just let me know and ill try to put a picture up. Or if you have any questions just PM me.

usngoat..I didnt supply GAP with anything. They supplied everything for the build. To be honest, I am not 100% sure on the cost, but if you visit their website I believe it has it on there.

Here's my cheek rest I made in Afghanistan on my M24. Used just one piece from a sleeping mat which worked fine for me. OP, I noticed GAP's website M24's are stamped "US" on left side of receiver. Is your M40A1 also stamped "US?"

does stock come in other colors besides the forest camo or does it have to be repainted after purchase

Sure, it comes in any color you want...
Pinks, purples, I'm sure you could even have them give it a flame job.
What are you looking for?

different type of camo pattern on stock and scope rings w/ black barrel and black scope.....not the biggest fan of the forest camo thats shown on the GAP website

roger0311 - great rifle mate...congrats!! I.m loving mine....just wish I'd been able to get out a little more since I got it and run some groups before the weather closed in
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ath23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">different type of camo pattern on stock and scope rings w/ black barrel and black scope.....not the biggest fan of the forest camo thats shown on the GAP website </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll play nice...
Stock colors and patterns </div></div>

+1

Depends if you are staying true to spec or wanting something a little different.

If none of the McM finishes do it for you, you can always go with a multi-cam dip:

DSCF0250.jpg

Or maybe get stuck in with the Krylon:

AIAW7.jpg

Rogers0311 nice looking rifle, enjoy it. Thank you for all you do , SEMPER FI!

How do you like the mst100? is it a decent power at most applicable ranges?

I just got a rock from GAP and cant decide on a fixed st10 or a sn3 variable power USO...always interested in the fixed ten but never used one...ha guess it depends on which one comes up onthe forum in a better deal first!

The only reason to get a MST-100 would be to build a M40A1 clone. Too expensive ($2800++, if you can find one). The SN-3 would be a better choice!