• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing GAP Non Typical 260 vs elk...

Huntr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2005
Texas
Didn't draw a bull tag this year in NM so I picked up a late season cow tag to fill the freezer. I used my GAP 260 loaded with the 139gr Lapua Scenar- shot was about 175 yards. It obviously made for a very full freezer and a very happy hunter. Interesting that one of the other hunters in camp was using a 30-06 with 180gr Trophy Bonded bullets. Our exit hole diameters were identical. Happy New Year everyone!

Huntr,

Great job!

You heading to Ice Breaker IV? Might have to try to make it and compare non typicals!

I would love to come to Ice Breaker, will have to see though. Sounds like a great time!

I am very surprised that you got good expansion from a scenar. I have shot them out of my 6.5x47 at whitetail and had little to no expansion, poor blood trails, and tiny exit holes. But if you shoot it in the wheel house, I guess expansion isn't a big deal. Nice cow! Eat well.