• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP or bust?

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I have all of the essential components for my first build. Now I have to come up with the Smithing fees. I have a R700 XCR Compact Tactical .308 action, McMillan M40A1 HTG stock and Rock 5R M24 contour 11.27" barrel blank to finish at 22". I got a rough estimate on what its going to cost to have GAP finish the build. Does GAP require deposits, all of it up front or pay before pickup/shipping? OH and then I gotta come up with the glass. OH and another OBTW my wife doesn't know yet that I am doing this...

Re: GAP or bust?

I have had 2 custom rifles built by GAP & they required a $1000 deposit to start the build (they supplied all the componets of the rifles). Remaining balance due when rifle is finished.

Not sure what they charge someone who has all his build components?? Someone will post with this info, maybe even George himself??

Call Mr George!

I paid the total of what George quoted me at time of ordering but the shipping and whatever hidden cost he might have. Not just $1000 deposit he required. All the hidden cost was, an upgrade to Jewel trigger at my request and the cost of shipping 7 months later that he had no idea what would be at the time of ordering.

GAP has built 3 rifles for me. I supplied parts for each build. They did not ask me for any further deposit. I just paid the remaining balance due at the time of completion. Not sure if they handle deposits on a case by case basis or if they have a universal rule. You will have to ask them.

I did contact him via PM and I just forgot to ask while I had his attention and I am sure he's plenty busy so I didn't want to blow up his PM inbox with silly questions so I figured the masses here would enlighten me. I am going to call GAP next week to get a more solid idea on price, turn time and payment particulars.

Thats what I'm afraid of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you have 1 GAP rifle, you'll need more!!!! </div></div>

There is no doubt at all that GA turns some serious precision rigs. One of the main factors with me is the lead time on rifles.

If you're wanting a fast turn around time I would go with wnroscoe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ts1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP has built 3 rifles for me. I supplied parts for each build. They did not ask me for any further deposit. I just paid the remaining balance due at the time of completion. Not sure if they handle deposits on a case by case basis or if they have a universal rule. You will have to ask them. </div></div>

Same here, but only one rifle.

I would send in your parts asap. As long as they have your parts, they usually don't require a deposit. I think that may be enough to waive a deposit.

Freight shouldn't be too much. You're pretty close to them compared to California.

Just be careful, once you have a GAP, 1 just won't be enough. I've been doing 2 or 3 a year for the last year and a half. I have one there now.

It's definitely worth every penny and the wait. Actually, compared to my old smiths, GAP is actually less expensive and quicker buy many months.

You've been warned, In a good way.
Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no doubt at all that GA turns some serious precision rigs. One of the main factors with me is the lead time on rifles.

If you're wanting a fast turn around time I would go with wnroscoe. </div></div>

I am not so concerned with turn time and I understand to you can't rush perfection. I would like to have it for (rifle)deer season in November but, I have a back up just in case I have to go with out it.

I didn't think there would be a deposit for customer supplied parts because the only thing I'm paying for is the cost of labor and materials. The final product I'm sure will meet my expectations and then some. I would obviously pay a deposit if it was required but I understand I just would not get my piece until I paid my bill.