• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP ordering process

Calistealth6

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
Fort Bragg, NC
I have a couple of questions on ordering a custom build from GA precision. I figured I ask them on here instead of calling and taking time away from someone elses build, especially with the wealth of knowledge here. I am pretty much settled on the type of build I want. I just wanted to know:

How much do you have to put down initially for the build to begin?

If I wanted a Mcmillan stock with a certain percentage color mix, is that taken with the order request?

Ill probably have a couple more that I cant think of right now. This will be my first custom bolt rifle and I cant wait to get everything started. I know the wait time is long but Im deploying to one of two different places sometime this year and plan to get the order in soon so that its waiting on me when I get back. I also plan to order a SN-3 T-Pal from US Optics also. Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: GAP ordering process

Take it from someone that has learned the hard way. Write down your EXACT specs. Post them here to see if anyone can save you from getting something that you are not expecting (too hvy, barrel should be shorter, LOP was not what you wanted, wished you would have went with a DM instead of floor plate...) Take any advice given and finalize your specs. AGAIN write EVERYTHING down and call.

I sent a barreled action and a stock along with some parts over to GAP and I did not have to give a deposit, but I think they require one if you are having them supply everything. +1 on giving your specs here and getting feedback, lots of experience to draw from here.

Surgeon action w/ KMW bolt knob
Mcmillan stock w/ spacer system and thumbwheel adjustment
Badger detachable mag system
Jewel trigger

Thats what I basically have so far. Not sure on the barrel but I plan on shooting factory match ammuntion right now. Also Im looking for advice on my order. As you can see these are just options from their website from their base tactical rifle. As you can see Im new to the custom rifle building process and what Im looking for. Thanks for the help so far!

I certainly won't speak for George, but when I was in the process of putting together my GAP order I emailed him my specs and he'd quickly give me a quote, and continued to update the quote as I changed the specs. My experience was that the GAP folks are not at all hesitant to make the time to give a customer information about a potential build. Don't expect lengthy responses, of course.

After bouncing a few emails back and forth with George, I sent in a McMillan A5 and a R700 .308 barreled action to him mid March. Just yesterday I made the decision to scrap the R700 build-up and go with one of their Templar actions. This rifle will be used for F(tr) Class matches, here's the specs:

McMillan A5, thumb wheel, spacer sys, sniper fill in GAP camo
Templar action w/ fluted bolt & integral 20 min. rail
Bartlein #9 heavy varmint 28" barrel (1/11.25)
Pillar & skim bedded
Jewel trigger
Badger M4 (BDL) steel bottom metal
Badger Max 50 rings
Leupold 8.5x25-50

I'm planning to do the refinishing myself, but who knows, that and possibly a Sako extractor may be added on latter. My expectations are that it will be sever months (3-4) before it's complete.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Snow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it from someone that has learned the hard way. Write down your EXACT specs. Post them here to see if anyone can save you from getting something that you are not expecting (too hvy, barrel should be shorter, LOP was not what you wanted, wished you would have went with a DM instead of floor plate...) Take any advice given and finalize your specs. AGAIN write EVERYTHING down and call. </div></div>

+1...and in my experience, don't depend on GAP to throat the chamber for a specific bullet. Always send dummy rounds. Write everything down, call, and follow up with a letter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After bouncing a few emails back and forth with George, I sent in a McMillan A5 and a R700 .308 barreled action to him mid March. Just yesterday I made the decision to scrap the R700 build-up and go with one of their Templar actions. This rifle will be used for F(tr) Class matches, here's the specs:

Pillar & skim bedded
Jewel trigger
Badger Max 50 rings
Leupold 8.5x25-50

I'm planning to do the refinishing myself, but who knows, that and possibly a Sako extractor may be added on latter. My expectations are that it will be sever months (3-4) before it's complete. </div></div>

Will that make the weight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calistealth6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mcmillan stock w/ spacer system and thumbwheel adjustment</div></div>

I'd get the KMW LoggerHead cheek piece.

Here's my advice... Think real hard about what you need it to do, How you want it to look , and What you want. Do research on everything and Don't rush into it! I purchased my Remington 700VS back in 2000 from my local shop for about 400 bucks with the intent of having an M40A1 built out of it. Well... I sent it off to DD Ross in 2002 and specced out some different things...It cost me 3000.00. I was happy with it but in the end I didn't get the M40A1. Here I am 7 years later having GAP build me a spec M40A1!
3 G's basically went down the toilet...
crazy.gif

Thanks for all the advice. Its helping alot! Ive been looking around and figuring out what I want for about a year or so now. I was gonna get everything together and order it back in December but cause of the election I decided to build an AR instead. I know I want a Surgeon action, Mcmillan stock with LOP spacers and integral adjustable cheekpiece with the thumbwheel adjustment, Badger detachable mag system. Im basing all these options off of the options from their "base tactical rifle". Is there anything else Im just not thinking of? I will be calling them sometime this next week to ask questions. Thanks again!

How about Cerro-coat?
How about 5R rifling?
Color pattern of the stock?
Sling swivel studs or flush or both?
Bolt handle, what type?

Ive ordered several GAP rifles over the past few years and always request them to fax a copy of the work/purchase order just to be sure everything is spot on.

Good luck with your new project!

It's rare that you're 2nd build is just like your first build. As you shoot more, see other rifles, and expand your capabilities .... your tastes will change.

For me, about a year ago, I sold all of my heavy rifles (24" #7 or AMU/MTU) and now everything sports a Medium Palma or Serendo taper on a Surgeon Action.

I wouldn't fret the first build. Do your best, but recognize that 6 months to a year after, you'll already be spec'ing our your next build.

I was looking for my first custom build (initially a "spec" M40A1) mid way through last year.

After doing my research and reading up on the Hide - I looked at TBA and GAP.

George was the guy who got back to me and clearly had the experience and knowledge to do a first rate job.

I took it from there.

I happily paid a deposit (partly to show I was serious and also because, being "International", I wanted to give George some security that wasn't a time waster).

After some more thought I decided I waould go more for a "tribute" than a "spec" and mailed George who advised me on some of the changes I wanted to make and also some additional ones he'd recommend once we went "off spec".

Spec now is .308 M40A1 with non-spec McM ADJ-HTG, Flush cups, Heavy recoil lug, Badger M4 Bottom metal, GAP bolt release mod topped with USO MST-100 in USO repro mount.

George was really patient with me wanting to make a few changes - despite being really busy he has always replied to mails. I'm now around 3-4 months away from the projected competion date....can't wait.

I'd say use the Hide and don't hesitate to call the guys at GAP if you need advice or input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After bouncing a few emails back and forth with George, I sent in a McMillan A5 and a R700 .308 barreled action to him mid March. Just yesterday I made the decision to scrap the R700 build-up and go with one of their Templar actions. This rifle will be used for F(tr) Class matches, here's the specs:

Pillar & skim bedded
Jewel trigger
Badger Max 50 rings
Leupold 8.5x25-50

I'm planning to do the refinishing myself, but who knows, that and possibly a Sako extractor may be added on latter. My expectations are that it will be sever months (3-4) before it's complete. </div></div>

Will that make the weight? </div></div>

Good question; but it should. That was one of the details that I gave to GAP, but left off here in this thread. My scope, rings & bipod weight right at 3 lbs total. I've let GAP know that the finished rifle (as they ship it to me) can not weigh over 15 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After bouncing a few emails back and forth with George, I sent in a McMillan A5 and a R700 .308 barreled action to him mid March. Just yesterday I made the decision to scrap the R700 build-up and go with one of their Templar actions. This rifle will be used for F(tr) Class matches, here's the specs:

Pillar & skim bedded
Jewel trigger
Badger Max 50 rings
Leupold 8.5x25-50

Good question; but it should. That was one of the details that I gave to GAP, but left off here in this thread. My scope, rings & bipod weight right at 3 lbs total. I've let GAP know that the finished rifle (as they ship it to me) can not weigh over 15 lbs. </div></div>

So F class has an 18# limit? Good Luck getting under 18 with that rig ! Just read.. " 308/223 only, weight limit of 18.15 lbs. (includes anything attached to the rifle), shot off a bi-pod "

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After bouncing a few emails back and forth with George, I sent in a McMillan A5 and a R700 .308 barreled action to him mid March. Just yesterday I made the decision to scrap the R700 build-up and go with one of their Templar actions. This rifle will be used for F(tr) Class matches, here's the specs:

Pillar & skim bedded
Jewel trigger
Badger Max 50 rings
Leupold 8.5x25-50

Good question; but it should. That was one of the details that I gave to GAP, but left off here in this thread. My scope, rings & bipod weight right at 3 lbs total. I've let GAP know that the finished rifle (as they ship it to me) can not weigh over 15 lbs. </div></div>

So F class has an 18# limit? Good Luck getting under 18 with that rig ! Just read.. " 308/223 only, weight limit of 18.15 lbs. (includes anything attached to the rifle), shot off a bi-pod " </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 17pt">You guys are such pessimists. It'll make weight as is!</span> <span style="font-size: 8pt">
Or be fluted.</span>
wink.gif

I'm in a similar situation. I would like to order a GAP and and have it consistently reach 1000 when firing. I was thinking of ordering a new .308 GAP Crusader with a heavier contour barrel in the standard 22" or maybe 24" length. I would then have George add an after market trigger and leave everything else standard Crusader spec.

My question is would the rifle with the changes listed be able to hit targets consistently and reliably at 1000?

Also I have never owned a rifle with a fluted bolt as in the Templar action. Would dirt, dust, etc... be a problem as it may enter action via the fluted bolt?

Any other changes you guys would recommend before I order?

That rifle will easily make weight...I have an almost identical set up less a 26" bbl. with a much heavier scope, 5-25 SB PMII (39oz.) On my digital postage scale it weighs in at 16lbs 4oz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in a similar situation. I would like to order a GAP and and have it consistently reach 1000 when firing. I was thinking of ordering a new .308 GAP Crusader with a heavier contour barrel in the standard 22" or maybe 24" length. I would then have George add an after market trigger and leave everything else standard Crusader spec.

My question is would the rifle with the changes listed be able to hit targets consistently and reliably at 1000?

Also I have never owned a rifle with a fluted bolt as in the Templar action. Would dirt, dust, etc... be a problem as it may enter action via the fluted bolt?

Any other changes you guys would recommend before I order? </div></div>

That rifle, with a decent scope would be just fine at 1000 yards. What would make you think it would not hit that far out? I think the real question is can you consistently and reliably hit at 1000? As far as the fluted bolt I dont think the dirt would be an issue, what do you plan to use it for that would subject it to a lot of dirt/dust?

Hi Apollo11, I have a buddy who has a standard Crusader with 22" barrel. He stated that he wished he would have ordered with at least 24" (anything up to 26" is free) stating that the extra 2" would have helped with bullet drop at 1000.

In regards to fluted bolts I know people who have fired in windy conditions and have had dirt, sand, etc... get on the fluted bolt. I think this fluted bolt stuff is more of a gimmick, I mean besides holding oil/CLP better, what other reason or purpose does it serve.

I just want to order all I need to hit at 1000, seems like the sweet spot for this to happen is 22" to 26" in barrel length.

Sorry to get this thread off track, but Judge please read this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...true#Post839303

having a barrel shorter then 26 or 24 seams just fine for 1000 yard work. Also talk to GAP, they can help you out (they built the Gladius in that thread I linked).

As for my experences in ordering from GAP, I would be as sure of all of your specs as possible. I agree totally with the post's above saying to get feed back from the Hide, lots of good experience. If you are able to send the specs in writing they will take care of it. The more research you can do prior to sending in the order the better.

Do your research and figure out what you want then both email and call and talk to the guys at GAP. This will clarify everything and then don't look back. You will be happy with the finished product. Best of Luch
JaxOps