• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Sikes Edition Hunter???

bujayman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Apologize if this has already been covered but I couldn’t find anything through a search.

I’ve been searching for a new long range hunting rifle for a 2021 elk hunt that I’m sure will be used a lot for hunting and general long distance fun at the range, but doubtful for anything like a competition. I do not currently own anything beyond some quality factory rifles and some AR platform builds I have completed myself.

GAP has the new Sikes Edition Hunter that seems to check nearly all my boxes. I had been leaning hard towards a 6.5PRC rifle and this is available in a 6.5 GAP. I’m not a reloader but I think I can easily get past this.

No weight is listed, so that’s something I need to find out about as I don’t want to lug around a 15lb rifle through the backcountry.

This would also be my first truly custom rifle and easily the most expensive, so I need to call GAP and get the low down on the process. I am willing to invest in a quality rifle that will last me forever.

All that to say.....Does anyone have experience with this rifle?

I would guess around 9lbs bare, based off of another build that was similar with a smaller contour barrel.

GAP is a great place to get a custom rifle. I agree with the guess of around 9lbs for weight based on the web description.

These rifles are not mass produced. The calibers, barrel length, barrel material, contour etc... are all customer dependent. The calibers listed are more of a suggestion, I have zero doubt they will happily make you a 6.5 PRC. If you are going to drop $5k on a rifle get exactly what you want.

Given the long lead time on Manners stocks, I would say your expectation for 2021 delivery is solid.

So, I don’t own a GAP rifle, and I know they have an outstanding reputation. That particular setup also looks pretty good. However, I’ve had several custom rifles built for substantially less using similar quality components.

My latest used a Lone Peak titanium nitrited action, proof carbon barrel, Manners EH-1 with mcs-dbm mini chassis, & TriggerTech special. Barrel was spun up by a well known Smith and IIRC I was just under $4k out the door.

This isn’t me bashing GAP in any way. And I’m not saying you should do what I did. I just think there are a lot of options out there. Some might be a little cheaper too. But the heart wants what it wants, haha.

GAP will build you a similar Sikes edition in 6.5 PRC, just like they’ll build you a similar extreme Hunter model in 6.5 PRC.

Since the barrel is a #4 contour you could also go with the bartlein CFW barrel and knock off 1/2 pound or more.

Reactions: HuntnPack
I don't own a GAP rifle but my middle son has two and they are both great rifles, I like to purchase all the parts and have the rifle built by a good rifle builder, that's just part of the process for me I get exactly what I want. My latest build is a Surgeon 591, Surgeon bottom metal, Bartlein #4 barrel, Timney 510 trigger, (soon to be replaced with a TriggerTech) Manners EH1-A stock, all sent off to R Bros Rifles, total to my door was $3505.00. I'm sure the new GAP is a great rifle and well worth the $$ but you can save a bit of $$ by getting all the parts yourself and sending it to a good smith.

I just had GAP build a custom. I sent all the parts (Bighorn TL3, Manners EH1, Krieger barrel, Geiselle trigger, Hawkins bottom metal), and they did the full build. They also supplied a second barrel in a different caliber. Their price for building is very reasonable and deliver time was exactly what they quoted. The rifle is awesome. I think I have around $4000 in all the parts and labor to build. The second barrel is not included in that price, but it was reasonable as well. GAP is awesome. Just call Jeremy and talk to him about what you want.

Since the barrel is a #4 contour you could also go with the bartlein CFW barrel and knock off 1/2 pound or more.
I thought the same. I’ve never even held a carbon barrel though, I need to do some more research.

Random question for the group....I will ask when I call GAP later today but out of curiosity, since the lead times seem to mainly because of the manners stock lead times, if I changed to a different stock, or sent them one, Is it possible for GAP to turn it around quicker?

I thought the same. I’ve never even held a carbon barrel though, I need to do some more research.

Random question for the group....I will ask when I call GAP later today but out of curiosity, since the lead times seem to mainly because of the manners stock lead times, if I changed to a different stock, or sent them one, Is it possible for GAP to turn it around quicker?

I sent them all the parts to build my rifle in late February. They quoted 4 months. Covid hit during that time and they still delivered in 4 months. I don't know what their quoted lead times are now, but yes, if you supply all the parts, it will probably be quicker.

Just like @dirthead1 I typically like to buy the parts first if possible. Another thing that has helped with lead time for me is I buy a manners stock with a mini chassis and just have the barrel spun up on the action. Any dummy can install a trigger and bolt a stock & action together.

FYI Altus has several EH-1's in stock right now:

Manners also has many EH-1's ready to ship

Yes. I usually watch Manners ready to ship page and buy when I find one I’m looking for.

Reactions: bfk4lyfe