• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gap/Surgeon Compatible w/CADEX Chassis?

sandwalk3r

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2011
Kentucky
I'm about to sell some stuff to make room for less guns & gear but spend all the cash on improved quality. I'm far from excellent w/bolt guns, but I really enjoy shooting them and am considering a not so cheap build with that cash.

Thinking GAP or Surgeon actions in .308 or .300, and I really like Drake's CADEX STRIKE chassis.

Since I've never really messed with GAP/Surgeon actions, does anyone know if they have fixed scope bases, or are they one-piece?

The STRIKE chassis wouldn't be compatible with a setup that had a fixed rail.

Re: Gap/Surgeon Compatible w/CADEX Chassis?

You can have GAP build you a rifle off the 700 that will be compatible and every bit as good once they get done working it over. That's what I'd do.

From what I understand, the Rem. 700 is the only action compatible with the chassis unless you buy the entire firearm (I believe the Stalker) from drake associates in which they use a proprietary action for their complete rifles (can't remember the name maybe rangemaster?), in which the chassis is slightly different to accept their action... here is a pic of mine I completed about a month ago...
100_2021.jpg

Surgeon actions have an integral rail.

You could go with GAP, but this is an option worth considering too:
http://www.rwsgunsmithing.com/catalog/base-custom-rifle/

IMO, it's a pretty good deal for a fully blueprinted barreled action (base and 8x40 screws included, you could just remove them and save for later or not have it installed, depending on what the CADEX specs are ... perhaps you could ask for a tactical bolt knob instead). I had a great turnaround time with my build.

Brad Turner at STS is having a Defiance spec'd for my Cadex Strike 33. Most of the Rem 700 clones will drop in. The big issue comes down to the bolt knob placement. I standard (Badger) tactical knob won't allow the stock to fold completely.

That rifle is sick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strike33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brad Turner at STS is having a Defiance spec'd for my Cadex Strike 33. Most of the Rem 700 clones will drop in. The big issue comes down to the bolt knob placement. I standard (Badger) tactical knob won't allow the stock to fold completely.

That rifle is sick!</div></div>

If you already cut your bolt handle - You might want to try the Pacific Tool and Guage slim teardrop in place of the larger profile badger. We did this for a government team that needed a replacement on their badger knob due to the size. Remember this was originally designed as a compatable refit for the rem. 700 type bolt handle.

Pacific Tool and Guage in Oregon is the source for the slim teardrop. I believe it has the same thread pattern as the recommended pattern from Badger.

Good luck. We have a picture of this on our web site - you can see the slim profile on this on our home page.

DSC_0970.jpg

I don't own a CADEX, but I would think the problem would be the size/location of the defiance recoil lug instead of the bolt knob. I always pull my bolt out of the gun when I store my rifle, so I don't see why a big bolt knob is an issue.

Providng that it has the same footprint as a 700 - no problem at all. The recoil lug has clearance to the front to accomodate oversized lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't own a CADEX, but I would think the problem would be the size/location of the defiance recoil lug instead of the bolt knob. I always pull my bolt out of the gun when I store my rifle, so I don't see why a big bolt knob is an issue. </div></div>

Defiance makes a action with the exact same footprint as the rem700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't own a CADEX, but I would think the problem would be the size/location of the defiance recoil lug instead of the bolt knob. I always pull my bolt out of the gun when I store my rifle, so I don't see why a big bolt knob is an issue. </div></div>

Defiance makes a action with the exact same footprint as the rem700.</div></div>

OK great -you should be good to go then!

Wouldn't the scope base geometry become an issue? I know "rem footprint" stiller doesn't have the flat area on the rear like a 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the scope base geometry become an issue? I know "rem footprint" stiller doesn't have the flat area on the rear like a 700. </div></div>

I am also wondering this too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't own a CADEX, but I would think the problem would be the size/location of the defiance recoil lug instead of the bolt knob. I always pull my bolt out of the gun when I store my rifle, so I don't see why a big bolt knob is an issue. </div></div>

Defiance makes a action with the exact same footprint as the rem700.</div></div>

A friend of mine was trying to determine if he should use a Manners T5 mini chassis that was already inletted for a Rem700 or a Whiskey 3 chassis for his new Defiance 260Rem build. Manners told him that although the footprint is the same, some of the defiance actions have a longer ejection port length that pushes the recoil lug a little farther up ... in other words, not completely "drop in" fit. I'm not a gunsmith and I don't build stocks for a living and I heard this second hand, but it's enough for me to want to ask the question before I drop that kind of money on this system.

If I'm wrong, please advise because this is something to which I would like to know the answer. Thanks.

That's true. The original Defiance that was ordered for my build had a lengthened ejection port. Due to this the top rail did not line up correctly and a new action spec'd to the 700 actual dimensions had to be ordered. There's plenty of room up front for the recoil rug, another great feature is that the chassis is relieved for aftermarket triggers/safeties as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the scope base geometry become an issue? I know "rem footprint" stiller doesn't have the flat area on the rear like a 700. </div></div>

Yes we have a different top rail option for the STILLER that conforms to the rear tubular shape of the action. Similar to the top rail kit for the Rangemaster Quadlite action varient as well.