• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Templar action, Gen 2

A10XRIFLE

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2002
N Kansas City, MO
www.gaprecision.com
OK the Gen 2 Templar action is finally out and in stock. Glen (Phoenix Machine) got me the first one at the first of the year but I hate to talk about stuff until I have it ready to offer. There are two changes:

First, The primary extraction is increased by 35% this means that upon opening the bolt the case is pulled out of the chamber 35% more just upon opening, this makes for very smoothe bolt cycle. This change is both in the reciever and the bolt.

Second, The bolt/handle is now 100% one piece, its machined from a solid piece of 4320 CM and heat treated. The knob itself is the only part that is threaded on via 5/16 x 24 threads. The handle is swepped back a tad, Not straight for ease of operation. Extractors are Std Remington in Std bf. Med Sako Type in Magnum, And M-16 type in Lapua-Rigby.

361703915.jpg

361703918.jpg

361703892.jpg

361703919.jpg

There are still a number of the First Gen Actions in stock and they will be used up in crusader production by July, Long actions will be Gen One for the rest of the year as demand for LA builds is only 5%-10% of our business.

Cost, there will be a $175 added cost to builds with the Gen 2 action. The added cost is obviously in the cost of the machine time in the one piece bolt. The bolt is harder to make/and more time consuming then the reciever. I think Phoenix Machine has hit a Homer with this set-up.

These are ready to go now on custom builds in Short action. They will be the standard on the Crusader rifle in 40-60 days.

Flutes will be added to the bolt when Glen and I decide on a pattern we both like.

Re: GAP Templar action, Gen 2

George,

What trigger setup would you recommend with these 2nd GEN Templar actions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Judge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George,

What trigger setup would you recommend with these 2nd GEN Templar actions? </div></div>

Totally up to the customer,

Remington 700, 40X, CG Jackson, Jewell

Any trigger that fits a 700 will fit the Templar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chrome! </div></div>

LOL, In the White! Glens surface finish is soo good it just looks chrome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerstripe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George,

Does this mean that we should start to see the GEN 2's showing up in Crusaders around August?

Thanks,
Doug </div></div>

Somthing like that, I have 12-15 Crusaders in Process that are on Gen 1 Actions. When they are gone we will move to the Gen 2. I wont start building Crusaders on Gen 2 actions till the in stock rifles are gone. Due to the price change and Spec change. There is nothing wrong with the Gen 1 actions this change was made to better an already great product.

Pardon what may be an ignorant question, but I am ignorant myself: Why no integral recoil lug? Obvioiusly, doing so would need a larger hunk of steel to start. Do you assess the benefit not worth the cost?

Just thinking if you were working with a clean slate why you wouldn't.

George,
Will this action be used on my current "Templar" build?
cool.gif

We've emailed back and forth the a few times the last couple days about the specs. I tried calling Karey today as you instructed, but only got voicemail, so I don't think any work has started on it yet.
Thanks!
J Conley

BTW - looks sweet!!!!!

Oh man
Now my wife will want that action cause it is all shiney, Ok George I now know what I am going to use to build her .260 this up coming year. Damn it, more money to be spent on her build.

Sweet piece. Maybe my next build will have to be a GAP with a Gen 2 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrPink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pardon what may be an ignorant question, but I am ignorant myself: Why no integral recoil lug? Obvioiusly, doing so would need a larger hunk of steel to start. Do you assess the benefit not worth the cost?

Just thinking if you were working with a clean slate why you wouldn't. </div></div>

It does not make it any more accurate to do so, But would add alot of cost, Not really the best bang for the buck.

Winchester Mod 70 rifles have had a machined in lug for over 50 years and still by a wide margin the 700 Remington is still touted as the best action to build off of.

The Idea behind the action was to offer somthing that would fit inside the bill of a fully tricked out Remington 700

Remington action $350
Trued by Smith $120
Tac Bolt Handle $95
Side Bolt Release $125
Open to 8-40 $40
Pinned Lug $35

Total $765

The Templar is currently exactly this same price when added to a build

The Gen 2 will be $175 More but we are adding the better extraction and the One Piece bolt to the mix.

Can I upgrade to Gen2 on my Crusader build you currently have, ordered mid Feb? I guess I will have to call on Monday along with the other questions I need answered.

Will you have them in left handed? Is it possible to upgrade existing extractor on gen 1?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you have them in left handed? </div></div>

+1 ???

A Crusader rifle, with a Templar action... hmmm. A fan of the knights Templar? I bet they'd have done better had they been equipt with your rifles!

Nice actions George! Anyone could even throw their own knob on their too since the handle comes pre-threaded.
I'd love to have a new Lapua built eventually by someone competent enough to build it right, like yourself(instead of HD rifles)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are they the same price? </div></div>

Read what he said! $175 dollar extra charge for builds with that action.

Will you sell just the actions, or can you only get them on a build from you? Just wondering in case I ever decide to try my hand at a home gunsmithing build.

George.can that 1 pieace bolt be used in youe other Templar actions?

George,

Can I upgrade my build to the Gen 2 Templar - it was ordered back on December 10th??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prbulldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you have them in left handed? </div></div>

+1 ??? </div></div>

Yep

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK the Gen 2 Templar action is finally out and in stock. Glen (Phoenix Machine) got me the first one at the first of the year but I hate to talk about stuff until I have it ready to offer. There are two changes:

First, The primary extraction is increased by 35% this means that upon opening the bolt the case is pulled out of the chamber 35% more just upon opening, this makes for very smoothe bolt cycle. This change is both in the reciever and the bolt.

Second, The bolt/handle is now 100% one piece, its machined from a solid piece of 4320 CM and heat treated. The knob itself is the only part that is threaded on via 5/16 x 24 threads. The handle is swepped back a tad, Not straight for ease of operation. Extractors are Std Remington in Std bf. Med Sako Type in Magnum, And M-16 type in Lapua-Rigby.

361703915.jpg

361703918.jpg

361703892.jpg

361703919.jpg

There are still a number of the First Gen Actions in stock and they will be used up in crusader production by July, Long actions will be Gen One for the rest of the year as demand for LA builds is only 5%-10% of our business.

Cost, there will be a $175 added cost to builds with the Gen 2 action. The added cost is obviously in the cost of the machine time in the one piece bolt. The bolt is harder to make/and more time consuming then the reciever. I think Phoenix Machine has hit a Homer with this set-up.

These are ready to go now on custom builds in Short action. They will be the standard on the Crusader rifle in 40-60 days.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Flutes will be added to the bolt when Glen and I decide on a pattern we both like. </span> </div></div>

George,
Has a flute pattern been decided upon yet?

I was up to visit GAP this week when some of the Gen 2s came in the one piece bolt is nice and it a very smooth action. The quality of the action compared to some other custom is in a class of its own. This is a true custom with all mating surfaces and lugs trued already without any extra work much like that of a surgeon but alot less money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George,
Has a flute pattern been decided upon yet? </div></div>

Yep , Here is the Current Flute Pattern. I have a few unfluted a few with deeper tighter flutes now all are coming like this and this flute pattern wont change.

367248569.jpg

So if I ordered a 30-06 Rock with the Templar upgrade it would come with the Gen 1 action. Does the Gen 1 L/A have those flutes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked to upgrade my Crusader to the gen 2 ordered Feb 4 but cannot, oh well happy still. </div></div>

Guess I got real lucky then. I sent in a McMillan A5 to build upon that arrived to GAP on St Patti's Day. I guess got in just before the "no new orders until August" cut-off, but just late enough for all the Gen 1's on hand to be spoken for. Special "K" called me just last week to finalize my new F-TR class build specs (I've made a few changes over the last couple of months
grin.gif
)and I sent out a wad of cash the next day. Something tells me this is going to be my best Christmas ever!!!!

I called and talked to Special K about having my rings OD green a couple weeks ago, I asked about the Gen 2 and he said I did not or he could not find a ser # associated with my name, which confused me since I ordered in Feb 4. I called back last week to see if I could pick my Crusader up in person in August while in MO and asked again about the Gen 2 and Tracey said I should have a Gen 1 from my order date.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Special "K" called me just last week to finalize my new F-TR class build specs (I've made a few changes over the last couple of months</div></div>

Is this SOP? To get a call to confirm the final build, I sure hope so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Special "K" called me just last week to finalize my new F-TR class build specs (I've made a few changes over the last couple of months</div></div>

Is this SOP? To get a call to confirm the final build, I sure hope so. [/quote]

I doubt it's a SOP. My build specs kind of evolved over the last few months, as I wasn't really sure what I needed / wanted back in March. Maybe your build is underway (or past the point of no return) while my barrel is just now getting ordered. If so you're much closer than I to pulling the trigger, as I'm guessing it'll be close to Christmas before mine arrives. Of course calling Karey is the best way to get anwsers. It normally takes him a couple days to get back to you, but he will. Good luck, but if you're like me, you'll be tickled no matter what Generation Templar you get!

Like i said i dont think there are any Std Gen 1 Short action left in the building that are not already built.

45.308, the reciever is not assigned till the build starts.

Unless yours is already built, like almost done right now yours will be on a Gen2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is this SOP? To get a call to confirm the final build, I sure hope so. </div></div>

I doubt it's a SOP. My build specs kind of evolved over the last few months, as I wasn't really sure what I needed / wanted back in March. Maybe your build is underway (or past the point of no return) while my barrel is just now getting ordered. If so you're much closer than I to pulling the trigger, as I'm guessing it'll be close to Christmas before mine arrives. Of course calling Karey is the best way to get anwsers. It normally takes him a couple days to get back to you, but he will. Good luck, but if you're like me, you'll be tickled no matter what Generation Templar you get! </div></div>

Got it, standard Crusader metal with a marble stock. Only called 3 times after the initial order with George; to see if they got my payment, to ask about OD green rings and to see if I could pick it up in person while in MO during the month of Aug, phone was always answered. I was told to call back about week before leaving to check on my build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a10xrifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Like i said i dont think there are any Std Gen 1 Short action left in the building that are not already built.

45.308, the reciever is not assigned till the build starts.

Unless yours is already built, like almost done right now yours will be on a Gen2.</div></div>

Thanks George, not that it matters I was calling for other reasons like color the rings OD to match and to see if I could pick it up in person and just thought I would drop the question for an inquiring mind and it sounded like you guys put rifles together as the parts arrived, no problem, head down and charge on!

Man that is an awesome looking receiver. Might have to quit screwing around with factory Remington and FN rifles and man up and buy a true custom.