• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Templar action/Non Typical rifle

chucknelson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Alberta
I'm giving very serious consideration to a GAP Non Typical with the Templar action. Does anyone own one as a general purpose hunting rifle and what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Re: GAP Templar action/Non Typical rifle

I should say as well that I would ask if they would build it with a McMillan Hunters EDGE stock.

PGS has just such a rifle (not sure about the Templar on his, but he has a Non-typical .308 in an edge. typical gap performance.

look a little further down I have a 300wsm in a Templar its the bomb..

I have one in a 7 wsm and it is great.. Check out my posts a while back about a 7 wsm gap and you can see the pics.

While great looking rifles. Neither one is what I had in mind. I'm going to try and get ahold of GAP this morning.

GHOSTRECON had this one for sale recently.

GAP Non-Typical Hunter in .308 Win with Templar short action.

n55yqb.jpg

Bronson90 was showing us this one recently as well.

DSC01152.jpg

260LW7-30-10001.jpg

Shoots pretty nice too...Love the M5 mag system....will never have a "Remington Moment". I'll never have another rifle built without it..

Looks like it does OK in the shooting department.
grin.gif
What barrel length is that?

Thanks For posting this PGS, looks a brilliant rig. I noticed your data cards in the picture, may I ask where you got them or how you produced them?

THanks
Rath

Rath, I just put those together myself using Microsoft Excell. Then run them through my laminater

Pat, I found this on another site and I think this is yours as well? VERY nice! That is almost exactly what I had in mind. What is the barrel length on it, and I have to ask how do you like the Hunters EDGE (compact) vs. the McMillan Classic for bipod work (if you have used the Classic)? I also assume the bottom metal is Badger? Thanks.
NT308002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look a little further down I have a 300wsm in a Templar its the bomb.. </div></div>Is the magazine capacity two or three? I heard it was two.

Hey Chuck didn't you used to be high on model 70s and Echols? Not tryin to start anything, just wondering if your tastes have changed or, as is common with gunnuts, if you're just expanding your tastes!? Those are sweet little rifles!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMpistolero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Chuck didn't you used to be high on model 70s and Echols? Not tryin to start anything, just wondering if your tastes have changed or, as is common with gunnuts, if you're just expanding your tastes!? Those are sweet little rifles!!! </div></div>

No, that taste has not changed. For a hunting rifle I am a Model 70 fan through and through.
IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

I feel the ideal "non typical" for mine would have regular floor metal rather than box mag set up. I feel they carry nicer..... But each to there own. The box mags a great but don't carry in the hand as nice

My thoughts are that it's a slender sleek hunting rig with an optics set up that allows shots from close in to a minimum of 700 yards.

I'm putting together a rig that will be like all these wonderful rigs in .300 win #4 barrel. Nxs F1 3.5-15 in a manners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel the ideal "non typical" for mine would have regular floor metal rather than box mag set up. I feel they carry nicer..... But each to there own. The box mags a great but don't carry in the hand as nice

My thoughts are that it's a slender sleek hunting rig with an optics set up that allows shots from close in to a minimum of 700 yards.

I'm putting together a rig that will be like all these wonderful rigs in .300 win #4 barrel. Nxs F1 3.5-15 in a manners. </div></div>

Thats an opinion shared by many, but of all the guys I know that hunt alot (more than 50 days a year) have all switched to a DBM. Once you try it you never go back the other way. Flawless feeding and the ability to relaod 5 rounds in about 2 -3 seconds outweighs being able to craddle the rifle in the middle with one hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WSM's Hold 3 in the box. One in the Pipe.

Have one ready in a 90% CF manners weighs 6 pounds 14 oz </div></div>

George, you wouldn't happen to have one in a .260 would you?

Ha, this is my dream hunter for this year:

GAP, non-typical .260 w/20" barrel
badger picatinny rail/low rings

I have everything in stock to do 6.5,7mm, 30 Cal so a 260 is only a phone call away. I may do up a couple Builder 260's as Pat Seems to have the pot stirred for some 260 interest.

I think a 6.5 Creedmore with the new Superformance GMX load being out would also be hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel the ideal "non typical" for mine would have regular floor metal rather than box mag set up. I feel they carry nicer..... But each to there own. The box mags a great but don't carry in the hand as nice

I'm putting together a rig that will be like all these wonderful rigs in .300 win #4 barrel. Nxs F1 3.5-15 in a manners. </div></div>

I get what your saying, I have chosen to use Wyatts center feed box mag to 100% alleviate feeding issues. I have on the way 2 other light rifles that utilize dbm.....I am putting this rig together for a very specific purpose where firepower is not the main requirement.

Thats an opinion shared by many, but of all the guys I know that hunt alot (more than 50 days a year) have all switched to a DBM. Once you try it you never go back the other way. Flawless feeding and the ability to relaod 5 rounds in about 2 -3 seconds outweighs being able to craddle the rifle in the middle with one hand. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucknelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pat, I found this on another site and I think this is yours as well? VERY nice! That is almost exactly what I had in mind. What is the barrel length on it, and I have to ask how do you like the Hunters EDGE (compact) vs. the McMillan Classic for bipod work (if you have used the Classic)? I also assume the bottom metal is Badger? Thanks.
NT308002.jpg

</div></div>

Chuck, Thats a GAP rifle also in .308. Its exactly the same as the .260 except for the bottom metal. The .308 has Badger M4 for bottom metal. I guess its also a R700 SA and not the Templar. I chose the Templar for the .260 build for better options that a Remington doesnt have like a solid bolt handle, M16 extractor, EDM cut raceways, etc..

No problem running a Harris 6X9 off of an Edge stock, it hooks up solid at the swivel stud and makes enough contact to stay tight.

As far as balance goes carrying the .260 in hand as compared to the .308, the balance point is slightly forward of the AI mag and not back at the mag. With a shorter barrel, say 22" or 20" it may change those ergonomics a bit. Both of those barrels are #3 Rocks and are 24". I knew the balance point was going to be correct before George built it because the .308's is in the same place. They both have the same rings and scopes.

When I get caught up with work, I'm going to do a write up on both rifles, head to head...

Hey Pat did you ever do that head to head test on the .260 and .308 you mention in the previous post?
I'm dreaming of a GAP NT in my future. I just need to decide on the caliber oh and save save save!

Well this is a extrmely old thread as it was from 2010 but since it got brought back up to the top the gun tigerbikes posted is currently my gun. The thing shoots lights out.

BUT wow this is a old post how far back did you have to go to find this one jeez

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GHOSTRECON had this one for sale recently.

GAP Non-Typical Hunter in .308 Win with Templar short action.

n55yqb.jpg

Bronson90 was showing us this one recently as well.

DSC01152.jpg
</div></div>

shot this guy this year with a non typical in 308. very nice lightweight rifle.

2012-03-30_11-57-04_539.jpg

should've turned your hat around...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should've turned your hat around... </div></div>

Why? Surgeon makes a great rifle.

Pat's pretty much got me convinced a Non-Typical in .260 would pretty much do it all for my hunting needs. And I'm sitting here already with bullets, dies and brass for 243AI, 7mm-08, 280AI, and 7WSM, but nary a 6.5mm anything in the house!