• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Templar v1 vs. v2

phantasm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2004
Earth
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Templar v1 and v2 action? I've been trying to get some questions answered and a qoute together for a Crusader from GAP but they suck at responding to people. Really starting question if it's worth dealing with them or not.

V1 was built off of the old Defiance Rebel action. The Tennon is longer (not exactly a straight R700 drop-in), the rail was a separate piece from the action, and the lug is pinned.

V2 is built off of the newer Defiance Deviant action. Standard R700 footprint. Rail and lug are integral to the action.

I'm sure there's other differences between the two that I'm unaware of. Call/email GAP (or Defiance, they made both actions) to get all the details.

The V2 is a more modern rendition of that action. I doubt they still offer the V1, and even if they did, there's no real reason to pick that over the V2.

I have a V2. However like the poster about said it’s two different actions. The V2 is a defiance deviant tactical model. Bolt is slightly swept back, 35% more extraction over similar actions etc etc. let me post some links since this is difficult to type out

Templar

Templar V2

GAP’s Gladius action is the defiance tenacity action and that allows for use of prefit Barrels. Where the Templar 1 and 2 you can’t get prefits.

V1 was built off of the old Defiance Rebel action. The Tennon is longer (not exactly a straight R700 drop-in), the rail was a separate piece from the action, and the lug is pinned.

Yup I have a Templar from 2008 which I built my original 6.5 Creedmoor on, and the first Creedmoor GAP ever built ;) , and that covers it. It's a good action but not 100% 700 footprint. Below is a pic of it on the right next to a 700 footprint TL3 and you can see it's a little longer. You can make it fit in a 700 stock with a little work. I also would be surprised if it was still offered by GAP. I thought they moved on from the original Templar a while back.

IMG_2038.jpg

The V2 is a more modern rendition of that action. I doubt they still offer the V1, and even if they did, there's no real reason to pick that over the V2.
The Crusader is still built with the v1 action. I asked for a qoute for a Crusader with the v2 and they're working on it. It won't be a "Crusader" though, it'll be a custom.

The Crusader is still built with the v1 action. I asked for a qoute for a Crusader with the v2 and they're working on it. It won't be a "Crusader" though, it'll be a custom.

Interesting.

I wonder if they've modified the action specs, specifically it's clearances over the years.

My first rifle was a GAP Crusader in 6.5 Creedmoor, from years ago. It does not tolerate the dust well.

This is an older thread, but I have a templar v1 and would not buy another one. I'm trying to move from a stock to chassis and it's been a pain in the ass. Doesn't fit Cadex or AICS AX. GAP builds solid guns. I have 4 of them. But I'd never buy the templar action again.