• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Thunder ranch rifle

spr1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2004
Peoples Republic of Maryland
When I first saw this rifle, I thought that it was exactly what I had been wanting to build as a general purpose rifle. Anyone have one, and what are your thoughts, besides "it's a GAP!" (which is inherently goodness).

Re: GAP Thunder ranch rifle

My rifle is not a true Thunder Ranch but damn close. All specs are the same but I added flutes and a brake plus custom graphics. I went this route in order to get a good all around hunting rifle with some of the tactical benefits as well. I don't think you can go wrong with this setup but hell you can't go wrong with a GAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOTM-Direct</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My rifle is not a true Thunder Ranch but damn close. All specs are the same but I added flutes and a brake plus custom graphics. I went this route in order to get a good all around hunting rifle with some of the tactical benefits as well. I don't think you can go wrong with this setup but hell you can't go wrong with a GAP. </div></div>

I ordered my Thunder Ranch with flutes and a brake as well.

I think it's a great value! I almost bought one. The Rock is a nice too.

Glad to see I'm not alone. Thought the same as all you guys. It looked like a great general purpose rifle. Initially wanted a Rock, but felt the TRR was too good a value for only a few hundred more. I'm almost 3 months into my 6 month build.

Ok, Let me know the first impressions and PLEASE POST PICS. I am close to deciding if I am going to drop the COIN on it.....

I have got what I think is the 11 one made and I love it. Shoots way better than I can drive it but that's not saying much with my driving. It shoots 178gr Amax's over varget into one little hole at 100. Have only shot paper with it out to 450 yards or so and it easily holds under MOA for me. Rarely over .5 MOA for my buddy(bastard). You won't regret it, great gun. I have a pile of carcasses in my field now just waiting for the coyotes and what not to give me some longer range practice with it.

Love my TR hybrid. I built mine with a McM A 1-3 stock, flutes and a brake. I would highly recommend the TR configuration!

Dont have a Rock but I do own a gladius. Only 65 rds through her but it shoots well under half inch. After proper breakin, I was able to pull 2 groups of 3rds that were pratically same hole. At first I was not happy because I thought I might have pulled the rounds off the paper. Then walked up to check and you could barley see where the other rounds had passed.... Great rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade-19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you like it ! </div></div>

Wade I just missed that manners stock you posted today. I saw it about 6 minutes after it sold. Dagnamit. Hope things are well. Did you shoot anything in MO with that stock on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stoney15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade-19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you like it ! </div></div>

Wade I just missed that manners stock you posted today. I saw it about 6 minutes after it sold. Dagnamit. Hope things are well. Did you shoot anything in MO with that stock on? </div></div>

No luck. Have not been to my hunting land for the last two years . Let 's just say the landscape has changed . I need to move my stands or break out a chainsaw this spring .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootnjunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wheres the pics </div></div>

Number 11 ! (Hope you don't mind S)

55a2ed63.jpg

2c7d5699.jpg

I don't have one, but my 700 is built very similarly with the MCS-T stock..

I handled this rifle before and it and mine just feel right with good balance.

Do it man..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootnjunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if they do this in .260? </div></div>

I'm sure they will build you one in .260! Just give Gap a call and they will run you through the ordering process. That's the easy part. The hard part is waiting.......

See I was hoping you were going to say that they didn't which would make it a lot easier to not order one
smile.gif

I'm curious about the difference in the apparent colors in the two pictures. One looks darker and more green than the other which appears more tan than green. The lighter picture appears more like the Thunder Ranch rifle on the GAP website. I really like the way it looks on the GAP website. Would you say the appearance of your thunder ranch rifle is pretty close to the one on GAP's website? Thanks :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootnjunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wheres the pics </div></div>

Number 11 ! (Hope you don't mind S)

55a2ed63.jpg

2c7d5699.jpg

GAP Rifle

I just received my Thunder ranch rifle! I changed the colors and added a few things. I took it shooting for the first time. I shot groups a 100 and 200 yards. I also took it out to 1000. Man this thing can shoot! I have pictures of both groups and the rifle. I was shooting 168gr for ranges 100-600, as I moved farther out I was using 175gr. They seem to shoot a little better at greater distances for the obvious reasons. Anyway, I wanted to post this because before I bought the rifle, no one really knew much about the thunder ranch, and if they did they weren't sharing their knowledge.
GAP.JPGGAP1.JPGGAP2.JPG

I like mine a ton. I'm sort of new to this stuff but I made a little clover leaf at 200 yards early in the morning before the wind can up. I have 200 through it now and will be putting 400-500 through it in September at TR for mid range training.
Bill

Sure is satisfying when you have a good group. The Southwest Ammunition is working well in this Thunder Ranch. My crappy 20 dollar spotting scope had me fooled because I was thinking no that's not really what I see. I'm at about 300 rounds through this rifle and I'm very happy with it. Thanks to those at GAP!
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_6737.JPG
    IMG_6737.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The TR rifle by GAP is one sweet stick. I have been considering ordering one but mine would have to be on a CRF Win 70/FN action to make it perfect.