• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP10 Barrel Length Opinions

dduck44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I'm about to order a GAP 10 in .308 and would like to hear opinions as to the optimal barrel length for all around use.

Re: GAP10 Barrel Length Opinions

I would go with a 18" barrel. Not too long and not too short. This should allow you to do both CQB and some long range shooting.

Got mine at 20" as well. Good length if you plan to use the rifle for longer range shooting as you can't load a gas gun as hot as a bolt gun so a little more barrel is nice to have.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm starting to look for an AR10 and I'm also trying to decide on barrel length. How much (if any) difference does barrel length make if my shots will all be less than say 500 yards and most will be shooting hogs/deer at around 200.

I'm also looking to get a GAP-10 in the near future and was wondering what barrel length would be best Also, I'm planning on having it built to use with a suppressor so what does that do to the equation?......JaxOps

Thanks folks.
For all those that own these weapons-is the length you're quoting inclusive of the brake or the net length of just the barrel?
Sorry, I should have combined that in my original post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dduck44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks folks.
For all those that own these weapons-is the length you're quoting inclusive of the brake or the net length of just the barrel?
Sorry, I should have combined that in my original post. </div></div>

I'm almost certain that when you're given a barrel length that it will be just that. Depending on which brake you get though it might add a bit but not much to the overall length of the barrel. I have a Badger FTE on mine which adds maybe a couple of inches, never really bothered to measure it.

I believe if you opt for GAP's Titan break which is part of the barrel then your barrel length measurement would include the brake. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

But in answer to your question, when I said my AR had a 20 inch barrel, I meant the barrel minus the brake.

So, by all around you are talking about long range shooting, short range possible CQB, quick reaction shooting. Go with the 18" like mine. That is what I was looking for as well. It is pretty darn accurate out to 800 yards with the right type of ammunition. It is just the all around best option.

another 18" barrel user here. only had it out to 200 so far but for the size of the gun, weight and it is very capable out to 800 yards, 18 seems to be the best compromise. good luck

22".

You need all the help you can get with a 308. Especially a semi auto one.

22" is not as bad as you'd think... and accurate out to 1250...

9880.jpg

The old 16" has no issues reaching out to 800 and beyond.

I like my 308s short. I'd go no longer than 18", but that's personal preference. I'll almost never shoot mine to 1k, mostly 500-800 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The old 16" has no issues reaching out to 800 and beyond. </div></div>

It's not the size but the user? Lol...

Just as an FYI, G.A. Precision cuts the barrel to length. So it doesn't need to be in whole sizes (16, 18, 20, 22 inches). If you want a 19.25" barrel you can get it or whatever length you want. Good luck!

I would say 20". This still plenty short to swing without hindrance. I plan on ordering a Seekins in 308 when available, and will go no shorter than 20".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe if you opt for GAP's Titan break which is part of the barrel then your barrel length measurement would include the brake. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.</div></div>

I have a Titan on my Pre-Gap 10, Gap build, it's not part of the barrel. They affix it to the barrel and it blends almost seamlessly. My Barrel is 20" and it does not count the break.
Not a GAP-10 but the same barrel and Titan break you would get if you ordered that config.

Found a pic of the break you can barely see the seam, but if you look closely you can tell the metal changes slightly. (sorry phone pic is the best I can do.)

Iphone01022011011.jpg

Not to thread Jack but What barrel length would you use for a 6.5 creedmore? regularly shooting to 1k and sometimes 1350

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22" is not as bad as you'd think... and accurate out to 1250...

9880.jpg
</div></div>

Awesome I like how you used the colors.

I had mine done in a 20. I wanted the extra speed though it is not much. I have M4s for tactical use.

Hope noboddy mind to bring this alive again...

So if i want to shoot beyond 1k then it must be minimum 20" ?

Wouldn't 18" do the same job without any issue ?

Thank you for the inputs...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmdakota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to thread Jack but What barrel length would you use for a 6.5 creedmore? regularly shooting to 1k and sometimes 1350 </div></div>

I had my Gap 10 6.5cm finished at 23 + break

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmdakota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to thread Jack but What barrel length would you use for a 6.5 creedmore? regularly shooting to 1k and sometimes 1350 </div></div>

I had my Gap 10 6.5cm finished at 23 + break </div></div>

Ordered mine the same way.

Your velocity loss curve gets really steep behind 21". From 24-21 you lose 30-40 fps. You go behind 21 & you lose progressively more & more per inch. A 308 is already like throwing soft balls, go shorter than 21" & external (as well as terminal) ballistics go to hell. Obviously people shoot relatively long distances with shorter barrels, but it will take a lot more elevation to do it comparatively; therefore creating a larger margin of error.

My trend has been getting my short action calibers cut at 22 5/8". Anything longer gives a very negligible velocity gain. It allows for set back & I find its a nice compromise length; not much velocity loss & better handling.

*(in my experience)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RufDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your velocity loss curve gets really steep behind 21". From 24-21 you lose 30-40 fps. You go behind 21 & you lose progressively more & more per inch. A 308 is already like throwing soft balls, go shorter than 21" & external (as well as terminal) ballistics go to hell. Obviously people shoot relatively long distances with shorter barrels, but it will take a lot more elevation to do it comparatively; therefore creating a larger margin of error. </div></div>

Not true, at least velocity wise. You may lose that much per inch through factory barrels but aftermarket barrels are a different story. I was running a 17.5" Brux that would still run 2560-2580. I've seen several 20"-22" barrels run 2640-2690. On average I've seen aftermarket barrels only lose 15-20 fps per inch.

Just ordered a GAP-10 with a 20".

Seemed like a good compromise (for me at least) as most information that I've read regarding barrel length testing in .308 shows that with a quality barrel velocity is minimally effected down to 20" with each reduction there after being more pronounced. Mind you that the difference between 20" and 18" may be defined as minimal by many here. It's somewhat subjective.

It will all come down to what length rifle is manageable for your definition of "all around use" as well as what ranges your definition encompasses as well.

Another thought (in my way of thinking) is that a guy who is 6'4" may not mind whipping around a 22" barrel as much as a guy who is 5'6". This would surely be a subjective matter.

Dustin at GA Precision informed me that a 20" or longer barrel gets a rifle length hand guard and gas system and under 20" gets the mid length hand guard and gas system.

You can see the difference in the hand guards in photos by counting the ventilation slots (the slots that are angled slightly forward) on the upper half of the hand guard.

14 slots is the mid length and 17 slots is the rifle length.

I ordered my Gap 10 .308 with a 20" barrel. I thought hard about the 18" barrel, but here was my reasoning.

A Gap 10 is a fairly heavy rifle especially with bipod and any decent scope. I went with an S&B 5-25 on mine. I'm guessing fully loaded my rifle will weigh in the neighborhood of 13-lbs. This is not a rifle that you will be swinging around alot, mostly be shooting it off the bipod. So why not go with the longer barrel?

Another reason is a Gap 10 is a precision rifle, if I want a .308 rifle with a short barrel for running and gunning there are much lighter less expensive options.

As far as velocity it will really only come into play past 800 meters, but past that it makes a difference. Lots of guys are shooting their 16" and 18" Gaps to 800 yards and even a 1,000 yards very accurately. Will the extra 80 fps make a difference probably at 1200 meters.

Just depends on what ya plan on doing with your Gap. I bought mine for long range precision. I have a .223 for out to 400 yards and just blowing off rounds. My Gap will cover me from 100 to a 1,000 yards, probably pick up a .338 .375 cheytac or .50BMG for ranges further than that.

Hope that helps, just my .02 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RufDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your velocity loss curve gets really steep behind 21". From 24-21 you lose 30-40 fps. You go behind 21 & you lose progressively more & more per inch. A 308 is already like throwing soft balls, go shorter than 21" & external (as well as terminal) ballistics go to hell. Obviously people shoot relatively long distances with shorter barrels, but it will take a lot more elevation to do it comparatively; therefore creating a larger margin of error. </div></div>

Not true, at least velocity wise. You may lose that much per inch through factory barrels but aftermarket barrels are a different story. I was running a 17.5" Brux that would still run 2560-2580. I've seen several 20"-22" barrels run 2640-2690. On average I've seen aftermarket barrels only lose 15-20 fps per inch. </div></div>

A Brux barrel is of the highest quality. Good choice.

Mine is 23" + brake but its also a 6mm Creedmoor
The 308 upper I just sold was a 20" + brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RufDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your velocity loss curve gets really steep behind 21". From 24-21 you lose 30-40 fps. You go behind 21 & you lose progressively more & more per inch. A 308 is already like throwing soft balls, go shorter than 21" & external (as well as terminal) ballistics go to hell. Obviously people shoot relatively long distances with shorter barrels, but it will take a lot more elevation to do it comparatively; therefore creating a larger margin of error. </div></div>

Not true, at least velocity wise. You may lose that much per inch through factory barrels but aftermarket barrels are a different story. I was running a 17.5" Brux that would still run 2560-2580. I've seen several 20"-22" barrels run 2640-2690. On average I've seen aftermarket barrels only lose 15-20 fps per inch. </div></div>

My Bartlein is 22 5/8" & is 2630. I had a factory barrel cut to 21 & it was shooting 2580(ish) if I remember right. I dont think we are really disagreeing here. In fact I think we are agreeing. How could I disagree with a guy that shoots a Brux for pete's sake?

I started this thread and went w/the 20" and a Badger Thruster.
It's a 308. GAP is a great company.

I also went with a (.308) 20" with Surefire brake. I'm running the .308 Gas Gun loads (175SMK) from Copper Creek and yielding 2615-2620FPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jfernandez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also went with a (.308) 20" with Surefire brake. I'm running the .308 Gas Gun loads (175SMK) from Copper Creek and yielding 2615-2620FPS. </div></div>

Nice!

With a 18.5" barrel, is it resonable to think that the GAP-10 should reach 900 yards without to much problem if shooter does his part ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bravo 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a 18.5" barrel, is it resonable to think that the GAP-10 should reach 900 yards without to much problem if shooter does his part ? </div></div>

Yes

I don't want to hijack this thread, but any recommendations for barrel length for gap-10 chambered in 6mm creedmor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to hijack this thread, but any recommendations for barrel length for gap-10 chambered in 6mm creedmor?</div></div>

George recommends 21-23

I have a Larue OBR with 18 inch barrel and a great all a rounder.(.5 inch groups with 175 smk factory Hornady) Monday my Gap10 came in and I went with a 24inch in 6.5 CREEDMOOR hole in hole at a hundee with 140 amax Hornady. (both guns I run suppressed)

pics for the love of god! sounds like some good shootin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimjim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Larue OBR with 18 inch barrel and a great all a rounder.(.5 inch groups with 175 smk factory Hornady) Monday my Gap10 came in and I went with a 24inch in 6.5 CREEDMOOR hole in hole at a hundee with 140 amax Hornady. (both guns I run suppressed) </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is 23" + brake but its also a 6mm Creedmoor
The 308 upper I just sold was a 20" + brake. </div></div>

^^^ exact setup i have