• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garage cooling help

glocksig40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2009
Noth Dallas 40 Texas
Looking for help or ideas for cooling my garage. North Texas weather is killing my motivation. It's 100 to 105 degrees outside and inside the garage is a sauna at 100+. Humidity is up there. I would like to at least knock it down to a workable level. Garage is 16 x 16 and 8 ft tall. Door is aluminum. I will be insulating the door. Attic above the garage is not insulated but has plywood floor to store stuff in. I've looked at portable a/c but it's not going to cool enough to help. Mini split ductless unit is a possibility. I don't have any windows in there so I'd have to get a hole knocked in the wall for a thru the wall unit. A second central unit is too expensive. Swamp cooler doesn't work well in Texas due to the high humidity.
Anyone want to post with similar situation and a solution to my issue?
Thanks

Re: Garage cooling help

Exhaust fan is probably the easiest/cheapest option, but it will only do so much, beyond that you need AC.

Boltripper,
I called Todd and talked to him but haven't heard back from him. Hoping he gets by here to give me some suggestion as to what I need to do. He said the mini split systems are 4-5 years and throw away. New central unit will be $4000 or so. Whitson just put one in but his garage is a lot bigger. Maybe work night shift in the garage.

It's 62 degrees here and getting ready to rain.

Now you see why I want to move to the Panhandle of Texas!

I can deal with 100, I'm wearing a coat, sweatshirt, 2 shirts, and still shivering!!

You can get a Split unit in the $600-$1200 range and they will last 3-4 years, prolly better in the civilised world. The best part about them is if you have any skills you should be able to install it yourself. I have had a split in just about every room I have had in Iraq, Afg, and Africa and they all held up pretty well. Next option would be to put a window unit in somehow, hell go all west texas and set it up on an empty wire spool and rock it out. We used Chigo's over there mostly but you most likely will not find them here as they are not UL listed and most run off 230v 50Hz system. They do make a 120v 60Hz but its not that common.

Here is just one source with many units.
http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/$700+-+$799,$800+-+$899,$900+-+$999;Ductless+Split/N~40+15+16+17

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boltripper,
I called Todd and talked to him but haven't heard back from him. Hoping he gets by here to give me some suggestion as to what I need to do. He said the mini split systems are 4-5 years and throw away. New central unit will be $4000 or so. Whitson just put one in but his garage is a lot bigger. Maybe work night shift in the garage.</div></div>

yeah...the insulation thing DO work/help

Gene Williams got a small swamp cooler in his shop...ceiling fan and insulation....its bearable....

I've got the same problem, but not nearly as bad as you. My garage is about 20x24, and the walls, ceiling, and garage doors are all insulated. The only thing not insulated is a door to the attic. I have a 220v window unit running in one end, and a dehumidifier running in the other end.
On a really bad hot day I usually have a temp of around 70, and a humidity level around 50-60%. That's the best I can do.
I think you're fighting a losing battle until you get some more insulation.

I feel for you Man!

I'm in a similar situation. I live in Kentucky, in the Heart of the Ohio River Valley. Several days this week it has been 105 degrees with a heat index of 125 degrees.

I have a 2 car garage with metal doors, and an uninsulated attic above, as well. Here is what I do.

First, I have R-4 polystyrene insulation cut into slats that fit on the back of the metal doors. It cost me around $10 at Lowes for a 4' x 8' sheet.

Next, I have 2 industrial oscillating fans that are on low for most of the daylight hours. This keeps airflow to a max, and helps keep everything dry in the garage.

Lastly, I'm one of the lucky individuals to have my Furnace/AC in a closet in the garage. Since most units leak a little air, even when new, I just keep the closet door to the AC unit open all of the time. This helps to cool the garage down to at least 20 degrees below the outside temp. More, if I have the inside thermostat set to 68 degrees.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yep, Bolt I've been to Genes and his works well enough I could deal with that. Mine is a bit smaller than his is. If I could just get it from 100 down to 80-85 I'd be happy.

I know houses here are usually not built with insulation in the garage walls so I'm sure mine are not. I need something to take the hot air out while cooling the circulated air. Not sure what will be best to do it with.

See if you can put a dual purpose fan in. During the day have it blowing the air from the garage out. At night, temperature permitting of course, have it blowing fresh air in. A ceiling fan is a cheap way to move air as well.

Its hot here too, on a hot day my garage can hit 90 degrees by lunch time. I did these two simply mods and I knocked the edge off to where it was workable during the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its 9:30pm here in Dallas Texas.....and 100*F

Yeah.. but it's a dry heat
laugh.gif

just sayin </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See if you can put a dual purpose fan in. During the day have it blowing the air from the garage out. At night, temperature permitting of course, have it blowing fresh air in. A ceiling fan is a cheap way to move air as well.

Its hot here too, on a hot day my garage can hit 90 degrees by lunch time. I did these two simply mods and I knocked the edge off to where it was workable during the day. </div></div>

I wish I had a way to get it out. It would be better if I could pull air thru the garage. There are no windows or openings other than the big door. I can push the air around and out the big door but it circulates the 110 degree air from outside right back in the garage. Can't leave it open during the day while I'm at work. I invited a couple of hide members over to use my Giraud trimmer yesterday. They got here about 7:30 in the evening. Id had the door open for about an hour by then. They left at 10:00 and it had cooled down about 10 degrees. That's with a small fan blowing right on us.

insulate it first. See what the spray insulation will cost over buying bats of glass.

Well, on a more drastic note ....

I don't know what the side of your garage is made of, but a relative of mine has a big 18,000 BTU window unit built into the side of his garage. He had vinyl siding on the sides and back of the house, and brick on the front, for neighborhood building reasons. He built a hole just big enough to slide the unit into, when he built the house.

It's one of those dual purpose units. During the summer it keeps his garage cold as the inside of his home, and in the winter it stays nice and toasty in there.

Is that an option for you?

Paint your garage white, ceiling fan.

You might put one of those tubes in, put a fan in it and have it suck the hot air out.

We have attic fans here, runs the house air through teh attic and out the vent holes - can cool a house down after sunset nicely.

Man I can't wait to have that problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paint your garage white, ceiling fan.

You might put one of those tubes in, put a fan in it and have it suck the hot air out.

We have attic fans here, runs the house air through teh attic and out the vent holes - can cool a house down after sunset nicely.

Man I can't wait to have that problem. </div></div>

You better bring that Washington rain with you because it's bad dry here.

First, insulate your garage or else anything you do is a waste of money. You need to be able to trap the cool air. Next, install an attic fan in the Garage attic to reduce trapped heat pockets. Then get a window AC unit and when you install the unit buy a 1" foam board to fit into the area above it to keep the heat that's magnified by the window. Then it's just a matter of maintaining and not opening the garage unless you're trying to escape Zombies...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's 62 degrees here and getting ready to rain.

I can deal with 100, I'm wearing a coat, sweatshirt, 2 shirts, and still shivering!! </div></div>

Seriously dude? It's not that bad out today. And it barely sprinkled... lol

Yeah, I was going to say to not open the garage unless you absolutely have to. It takes me 3 hours or more just to get mine back down to tolerable levels if I open the door for any reason.

Ice box trailer unit will cool any two car garage without insulation like no other. Little on the noisy side but works slick!

Good luck finding one without dropping a lot of coin!

Yeah, and for the cost to run it for a summer you could probably insulate the whole garage with R-12 from top to bottom.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucson?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.air-n-water.com/commercial-sw...CFQQDbAodyzLQyw

even with humidity,these things work!! </div></div>

You incognito Tucson Dave? Lol!!!
I'm going to go to northern tool tomorrow and look at one of them. With my gun and reloading stuff, my floor space is limited so I need measurements. May go this route with the door open.
Thanks for the ideas fellas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You better bring that Washington rain with you because it's bad dry here.
</div></div>

+1000

LOL, depends how you use it. But yeah.

Water cooler are just that. SUCK THAT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's 62 degrees here and getting ready to rain.

I can deal with 100, I'm wearing a coat, sweatshirt, 2 shirts, and still shivering!! </div></div>

Seriously dude? It's not that bad out today. And it barely sprinkled... lol

</div></div>

OK I forgot to mention I'm in an over-air conditioned server room that sits about 52 degrees at night...

Im looking at using a swamp cooler. Recycling milk jugs filled with water. My freezer is in the garage so I can rotate frozen milk jugs in the swamp cooler water. If that doesnt work, Ill move all my shit to CKA's house down the street.

There are some small, portable stand-alone units that could take the worst of the edge off. There are bazillions of these things around the middle east.

I saw a few different models at Costco. One might be just enough to cool the garage while you're trying to work or reload in it, but probably not enough for full-time application.

Picked up a 3000 cfm 18 gallon port a cool today. Got it set up and running. Works great. It won't cool the whole garage and I don't need it to. When I set it up with the door open, it was 105 degrees in the garage. After getting the water going and fan on, the air coming out of the fan was 88. The port a cool guy said to adjust the water until it's not running over the mats but just keeping them damp to be most efficient. I've done that and it's working better than I thought it would. 85-88 feels like 70 when its blowing on you and the surrounding air is 100.
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to enjoy the cooler weather.

Ever thought about a hole house fan mounted in the ceiling. Just crack the door open and it will do a great job of moving a lot of cooler air.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked up a 3000 cfm 18 gallon port a cool today. Got it set up and running. Works great. It won't cool the whole garage and I don't need it to. When I set it up with the door open, it was 105 degrees in the garage. After getting the water going and fan on, the air coming out of the fan was 88. The port a cool guy said to adjust the water until it's not running over the mats but just keeping them damp to be most efficient. I've done that and it's working better than I thought it would. 85-88 feels like 70 when its blowing on you and the surrounding air is 100.
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to enjoy the cooler weather. </div></div>

Glad you got it worked out. I may have to try that myself if the summer proves to be too much.

Although, I have a high humidity problem in my area as it is, so more water might not be the answer. Mold and mildew can set in quick, and it may not be so good for my reloading powders.
crazy.gif

Rooster, it's 68% here today. I thought the same. I went and watched this unit operate before getting it. I was told by many that they didn't work in the Texas humidity. It's not air conditioner cold, but it does blow colder air at high volume directly on you. I don't care if the garage is cool as long as I'm cool. The same 2 hide members were just over here and were impressed by the change. I'm happy with it.

Sounds good. I might have to try one of those in my shop, now that I think about it.

Do they make them for larger areas? I have a metal shop that is 40' x 60' with a 15 foot ceiling. All metal sides, doors, and roof!
shocked.gif
It's an oven in there during the summer, so I have to do all of my car & tractor 'restoring' hobbies during the winter months. I use a large wood stove in there during the winter, and it keeps it nice and toasty.

Would your cool air unit be a good candidate for something like that?

Rooster they do make much bigger coolers. Just remember they are not made to cool a room or shop. They are made to cool an area. The bigger the cooler the more volume of air it puts out. It's not like BTU ratings. They are on wheels so you can move it around your shop to cool the area you are working in at that time. Mine now cools all the work area at my work benches in the garage. If I move from the work benches to another area in the garage, you can't feel any cooling air unless I move the cooler. While at the benches it's considerably cooler. That's what I needed. It doesn't draw hardly any electricity to run. Look on the port a cool website. There are good pics and descriptions there. I put my thermometer out away from the cooler this morning. It was 97 degrees at 9 am in my garage. I held it 2 ft away from the fan and watched the thermometer go down to 77 degrees. I backed up to the wall behind my benches in front of the fan. This is the farthest away from the fan I will be working. The temp was still 83 degrees. I can live with that. These fans put out a large volume of air. Because there is such volume, the cool air feels much cooler than it really is.if you have northern tool store or tractor supply or any place that sells port a cool close by, go have them demo it for you. Bring your check book cause you will want one.

I Forgot to mention something that the port a cool rep reminded me of. If you install air conditioning in the garage and turn it off when you're not in there, the air conditioner has to cool everything in the garage, not just the air. If you have object like tools or the like, they hold the heat. For example, if you have a drill press, during the day while you're working and the air conditioner is off the drill press will heat up to the same temperature as the room. Now you come in and turn the air conditioner on. In order to cool the whole garage or shop to the same temperature, it will have to bring the temperature down of all the items in the garage the same amount. Different things cool at different speeds. The concrete floor cools at a different rate than the wood table or the steel on the drill press. Each item in the garage is like a little 100 degree fire that the air conditioner has to put out in order to cool the whole garage. That takes time and money as the air conditioner makes the electric meter spin fast. By the time you cool all the object as well as the air, it's 2 hours later or more. This cooler is not cooling the items in the garage, just you and the air right around you. My drill press or screwdrivers have never complained about how hot they are so I'm not going to worry about cooling them. Beer is in the fridge so I'm cool and beer is cold, all is good.

Thanks for this post.

For the past 5 years I've had to give up my tinkering and body work, because the shop is just too darn hot during the summer months.

I've seen these things near locker rooms in stadiums, but never knew exactly what they were, and figured they cost an arm and a leg. I'm glad I ran into this thread. You've opened my eyes to a whole new possibility.

Thanks.

I'm glad I did too. Thanks to all the suggestions. Tucson? Had the idea for the port a cool. Thanks to the person previously known as Tucson Dave.

When I get a shed finished I am going to buy a reefer unit from an otr truck, last I checked they could be had for around a grand...

Does the Texas panhandle get the humidity?

I'm good either way, but high today of 65 here in Seattle...sun is out, pool is ice cold...even with a solar heater on it...

Sigh, what I would not give to be able to take the plunge and get moved to Texas....