• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garage storage of Powder Dispenser

BootMan545

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
Louisiana
Does anyone have any experience with keeping a powder dispenser (RCBS Chargemaster/Matchmaster, auto trickler, etc.) in the garage year round? Did you have any issues? Drift? Shortened life span? I understand storing indoors where temp/humidity is controlled is the best, but that's not an option for me. I reload in my garage because I have too. I'm in South Louisiana so heat is a concern. Just curious if anyone has tried this and what your experience has been.

I wouldn't be concerned as long as it's on clean power and we're not talking temperature extremes (+150 or -40). If I was worried about those sorts of temps, I would store it turned off.

I know everyone likes to run their lab balances 24/7, but I don't see a difference (except sometimes my v3 bluetooth won't link after being on for a couple weeks) vice just turning it on a half hour prior, and then running a calibration. I reload inside and my temps/RH are stable, YMMV.

Reactions: BootMan545
I wouldn't be concerned as long as it's on clean power and we're not talking temperature extremes (+150 or -40). If I was worried about those sorts of temps, I would store it turned off.

I know everyone likes to run their lab balances 24/7, but I don't see a difference (except sometimes my v3 bluetooth won't link after being on for a couple weeks) vice just turning it on a half hour prior, and then running a calibration. I reload inside and my temps/RH are stable, YMMV.
I worked in a laboratory for a number of years and never experienced issues with powering on/off. We never ran ours 24/7. Power on at the beginning of the day and the last one there shutsdown. Once calibrated, never any issues. Thanks for sharing!

I leave my V3 in the garage year around, turned off and unplugged when not in use. It is cleaned out after every use and the powder is stored in the climate controlled house. I run calibration on it each time I use it and have no issues.

Does anyone have any experience with keeping a powder dispenser (RCBS Chargemaster/Matchmaster, auto trickler, etc.) in the garage year round? Did you have any issues? Drift? Shortened life span? I understand storing indoors where temp/humidity is controlled is the best, but that's not an option for me. I reload in my garage because I have too. I'm in South Louisiana so heat is a concern. Just curious if anyone has tried this and what your experience has been.
I'm also in Louisiana and my Chargemaster lives in the garage with no issues.

Mine lives in a constant 76°F. It gets turned on when needed, calibrated and used. It overthrows about every 20 rounds.

Not that anything I just wrote has any bearing on the OPs question. I just like pointing out that I can reload in the air conditioned house.😉

It got up to 93° today and the humidity was like soup. The mirage was awful, but we shot anyway.

• Haha
Mine lives in a constant 76°F. It gets turned on when needed, calibrated and used. It overthrows about every 20 rounds.

Not that anything I just wrote has any bearing on the OPs question. I just like pointing out that I can reload in the air conditioned house.😉

It got up to 93° today and the humidity was like soup. The mirage was awful, but we shot anyway.
I’m jelly of your air conditioned setup. The swamp ass is real, but the drive to make small groups is strong.

I'm coastal SE GA and also do not have a climate controlled option. I've been using a Chargemaster Lite for a year now without an issue (that wasn't operator-induced). In January I installed a hybrid water heater and it has helped keep the garage noticeably cooler/drier.

Last edited: