• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

garand barrel markings

longrange223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2006
se ohio
anyone here any good with garand barrel markings? have a 1942 springfield receiver & the barrel has no markings on the side by the op rod,only markings are on top under the handguard,it's marked d35448 16-r 64a,has an m stamped away from that over top another mark i can't make out,gonna get it rebarreled & was wanting to make sure what i was taking off

Re: garand barrel markings

just found barrel markings after closer inspection,they're upside down under the op rod,marked s a-4-42 ith a 34 over top of it,kinda hate to rebarrel it if it's the original barrel,rest of gun is springfield but the stock has no cartouches on it

I saved my original barrel but wanted a better shooter. You can always have it put back on.

According to Duff, Springfield's April 1942 production ended with serial number 588879.

Any idea how the barrel gauges?

my ser # is close at 601xxx,passes the bullet test on the muzzle but looks like it could use recrowned,no idea on the throat

upside down markings indicate a British lend lease barrel. Go to the CMP forum and inquire there on this M1.

The stamp seen on the side when you pull the op rod back were in fact upside down in 1942, believe it was early 43 when they started stamping them right side up

Next to impossible to find a ww2 era receiver with its original barrel, gotta remember those things went through at least two major rebuild periods, after ww2 and after Korea, and even more at unit level if barrels got wore out.

We're did you buy it? If from an individual it's likely the owner tried to "restore" it, if you got it thru the CMP than its a freak of nature.

I'm not in the states but back there I have a m1 book by Scott duff that spells out out all the end month serial numbers, sure you can Google fu the serial number to what month in 42 it was made. Your barrel is April of 42 SA-4-42

according to the ser #601xxx mine was made in early may of 1942,got the rifle off an individual who has had it since the early 80's,it is import marked exel gardner

i know the person i got it from & there's no way he tried to restore it,the gun was coated with varnish ,stock & metal,had to strip it away to even see the barrel markings,very ugly gun to start with,doesn't look half bad now cleaned up,stock has no cartouches on it,it looks to be all springfield except has newer model sights & nat'l match op rod

Just a personal opinion but if it was mine, I'd have it checked out by somebody who can appraise the value. Let's say it was anywhere more than $500 over what you'd pay CMP for their current Service grade offerings. Sell it to someone who wets their pants over historic details and get one that you can take out shooting. Part of the history is best experienced firing the M1.

BTW, the only historic one I ever drooled over is a correct pre-1939 gas-trap I saw in a local museum. I doubt they even know what it's worth. To me the history of how the weapon was designed and the industrial might and prowess that made it possible has always been the most interesting part.

Finding original barrels on WWII recivers is not impossible or rare. They are out there and are worth more especially the earlier rifles
With a Import mark there is no collector value , that ruins it. If barrle is wore out may as well have it rebarreled

may have it looked at by a guy at one of our local shows,see what he says & decide from there