• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garand Loads?

hrfunk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Ohio
I'm a brand new M1 Garand owner, but I'm pretty well acquainted with handloading the 30 06. I managed to brew up a pretty good combination for my new rifle on my first attempt. That load consisted of 46.5 grains of IMR 4064 behind a 168 gr. SMK, and it proved to be both accurate and reliable in the M1. Unfortunately, loading my initial 50 round batch of cartridges completely depleted my remaining supply of 4064.

Since then I've been trying to locate more 4064, but to no avail. So I'm wondering if anyone else has an M1 friendly load with something other than IMR 4064 (which is nowhere to be found around here). I seem to come across Accurate Arms powders pretty frequently, and occasionally some of the Hodgdon's offerings. I'm looking for something comparable to 4064 in terms of performance that I might actually be able to find. Any help is appreciated.

HRF

I've had good luck with 4895 (both Hogdon and IMR), as well as Varget. I know that those powders can be hard to find sometimes, too. However, they're in the same area of burn rate as 4064, that is optimum (and safe) for the Garand. If you can find them, give them a try.

Last edited:
Varget is also popular for Garand at +/- 46 grains. Sadly Varget is also a rare powder.

BLC-2 and Win 748(?) have been mentioned as Garand safe alternatives to try in the powder drought.