• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garand M1D Value?

USGILT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2007
KS, Leavenworth
I’ve always been enamored by M1 sniper rifles and have been looking at a private sale CMP M1D comes with a M84 Scope, Mount, T37 flash hider and leather cheek rest.

Rifle: Springfield SN 1,569,851. Metal finish is excellent likely refinished. Muzzle Wear is right at 1 and Throat Erosion at 3 by the North Store. Barrel date is 2-52. Rifle has a -77 op-rod. Very good original GI stock with SA and boxed RA cartouches. The handguards match color, but do have some non-structural cracks that need to be glued. Action is tight in the wood and the trigger guard assembly locks in tight. Mix of SA, HRA and WRA parts in a WWII trigger housing. Owner states he has not fired this rifle since he purchased it in June 2010 from the North Store.

M84 scope and mount: original GI in good condition. The mount is missing one of the two screws that hold the scope clamp. The scope is in good condition, not rusty or beat up. Optics are clear but with a little of the black interior paint flaking. No major dents or issues with the tube or sun shade.

Anyone know what a ball park value on this rifle might be?
Owners asking $2550 shipped.

Thanks,
m1d_full_right.jpg

m1d_full_left.jpg

Re: Garand M1D Value?

The price is on the low side, not a screaming deal, but most definitely well priced for a buyer.

Looks like an excellent deal and the best you're going to get anytime soon if you're in the market for one, they're usually much more than that, a general saying that floats around a lot is that it costs over a grand to re-complete a bare Garand sniper back to full kit, like the bare rifles the CMP still offers.

You mentioned the T37 and cheek rest but that rifle doesn't have them so I'm assuming their just not pictured, does the original CMP box/certificate/paperwork/accessories kit came with it?

A CMP papered gun is a huge part of the value. Lots of M1Ds are of questionable history. Just because someone says they got it from the CMP doesn't make it so...

The seller states he purchased the rifle back in June of 2010 from the CMP North Store for $1550. Not sure if he still has the CMP box but it comes with the CMP certificate. The T37 Flash hider is new old stock in the wrapper, never been installed. It looks like the later 3-prong style (not the cone shaped one). Also, a leather cheek rest which is in fair to good condition and 2-1952 dated, missing the laces. It is somewhat dry and cracked, but is sound and all of the eyelets are solid.

m1d_cheekrest_left.jpg

m1d_cheekrest_right.jpg

m1d_cheekrest_inside.jpg

m1d_access_t37_eyecup.jpg

I looked at it myself. Not a terribly bad deal for the price but it will never have the collectability of a CMP papered complete M1D.
The owner did not buy it from CMP as a complete M1D, if would have been it would have been sold long ago
As long as that doesnt bother you and its what you are looking for .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orlando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at it myself. Not a terribly bad deal for the price but it will never have the collectability of a CMP papered complete M1D.
The owner did not buy it from CMP as a complete M1D, if would have been it would have been sold long ago
As long as that doesnt bother you and its what you are looking for . </div></div>

Very, very few M1Ds were sold as a package. As for cellectability, depends, do you want to shoot it or stick it in a closet to never see daylight?
I don't know of a single M1D that was bought as a package from CMP that has been fired. Most still sit in the box.
As long as this rifle has the CMP paperwork, it is a good deal. You can check the rifle prices at odcmp and see what they are going for, BUT most are now black finished Greek returns.
You also don't have the problem of repro accessories. Geniune parts are getting scarce.
Go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LanceS4803</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Orlando</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at it myself. Not a terribly bad deal for the price but it will never have the collectability of a CMP papered complete M1D.
As long as that doesnt bother you and its what you are looking for . </div></div>

Very, very few M1Ds were sold as a package. As for cellectability, depends, do you want to shoot it or stick it in a closet to never see daylight?
I don't know of a single M1D that was bought as a package from CMP that has been fired. Most still sit in the box.
As long as this rifle has the CMP paperwork, it is a good deal. You can check the rifle prices at odcmp and see what they are going for, BUT most are now black finished Greek returns.
You also don't have the problem of repro accessories. Geniune parts are getting scarce.
Go for it.

</div></div>

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant
The M1D's that CMP had in the past came shipped/packaged with all accessories along with the rifle.
The rifle in question is one of the receint Greek return CMP M1D's that was sold as rifle only, no accessories. The accessories were put on the rifle by the original owner from bits and pieces he aquired.
Thus the big difference in value
Papered CMP M1D's with original accessories from years ago from CMP sell in the $3500 plus range