• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Garand Smith Dallas Area

Re: Garand Smith Dallas Area

Well it seems that my rear sight is drifting. I have the (I guess) the later type (without the bar) and the screw on the left side will not hold under fire. Chased the zero all afternoon both windage and elevation. I'm used to the bar style which seems to hold things together better. But the base as well as the eye piece seems to have a bit of play even when tightened.

I considered putting a little LocTight (blue) on the screw, but never heard of any recommendations for that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sherlok

How much is the rear sight moving?

On the new style rear sight you do not loosen the screw to make sight adjustments. Is the windage knob moving (rotating)?

The aperture will move some. If you feel the movement is excessive, check the rear sight cover. It is a spring that helps hold the rear sight in place and tight. There is a ridge formed into the cover that puts pressure on the aperture. They do wear.

Douglas

OK.I tightened the left screw down real tight. Now I cannot adjust windage although elevation can be changed. That seemed to take care of the excess movement.

Assuming I can get this thing zeroed, don't you have to loosen it again to rotate the elevation knob to get the numbers to line up. Won't that screw up the setting?

I'm still not sure everything won't loosen again under recoil.
Thanks,
Sherlok

Yes, you will have to reset the elevation knob after you get your correct sight setting.

Before you do anything, drop your rear sight down to the bottom, counting the 'clicks' to get there. Do this at the range so that you can return it to and test the settings again.

To set the hash marks, loosen the left screw and adjust the knob. If it moves when you loosen the screw, you know what it takes to get it back where you want it.

Loosen the screw on the right side of the sight set, the windage knob. There is a spring and small detent under that screw. You tighten it just enough to allow adjustment and no more.

Thanks very much for the help. I guess I just did not know the procedure.

Seemed to me that the bar type was easier or is that my bad memory.

Thanks again,
Sherlok

I have a lock bar on my March '44 SA. I also have a new style set in my goodies box. The new style is the better system to be honest with you. After you get the hang of the initial adjustments is a no brainer, you just make the adjustments. But I use the lock bar because that's what the rifle had on it when it left the armory.

Glad you got it worked out.

Keep your powder dry.

Douglas