• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Foretrex 901 and the system

Ziloooo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone help me understand how Garmin's latest Foretrex 901 works together with other accessories like weather stations and range finders?

My understanding is the Garmin Foretrex already has a built-in Applied Ballistic calculator and I only need input from sensors of other accessories like a Kestrel weather meter and a bluetooth enabled range finder such as Sig BDX family to support the calculation.

Besides Bluetooth, Is there any other specifc requirements for Foretrex to be connected to those accessories ?

Because I saw @Garmin reply in another thread, even it's not directly to Foretrex but I think its related, said:
Starting with v9.33 of the Tactix 7 software, released today, the Tactix will now integrate with any of the Kestrel Ballistics Weather Meters with Applied Ballistics.
I'm wondering if the AB calculation is done within the Foretrex, why bother the Kestrel to have AB as well? The only two Kestrel models that have AB are 5700 Elite and 5700X Elite which are their most expensive ballistic models.

If there's other requirements, can anyone or the official @Garmin lists the product that have been tested working with the Foretrex 901?

and just out of curiosity, if a Kestrel / range finder works with 901, does it works with 701 as well?

Thank you!

Your understanding about the Foretrex 901 containing the Applied Ballistics Elite calculator is correct. The reason that both devices need to have Applied Ballistics is that the devices all communicate using Applied Ballistics Communications protocols. This is what allows this functionality to "just work" instead of requiring all the manufacturers to release software updates every time anyone adds a new device to the ecosystem. On the range finders, you can use one that has AB Ultralight instead of Elite and the ballistic calculations will automatically be done on the device with the more capable version of Applied Ballistics.

Here is a list of range finders that work with the Garmin devices. The list gets out of date as new devices are released so if you don't see something you'd expect feel free to ask and I'll get you an answer and get the list updated.
Garmin - Supported Rangefinders
Garmin - Supported Weather Meters

As for the Foretrex 701, it works with the rangefinders, but not with the Kestrel.

Your understanding about the Foretrex 901 containing the Applied Ballistics Elite calculator is correct. The reason that both devices need to have Applied Ballistics is that the devices all communicate using Applied Ballistics Communications protocols. This is what allows this functionality to "just work" instead of requiring all the manufacturers to release software updates every time anyone adds a new device to the ecosystem. On the range finders, you can use one that has AB Ultralight instead of Elite and the ballistic calculations will automatically be done on the device with the more capable version of Applied Ballistics.

Here is a list of range finders that work with the Garmin devices. The list gets out of date as new devices are released so if you don't see something you'd expect feel free to ask and I'll get you an answer and get the list updated.

As for the Foretrex 701, it works with the rangefinders, but not with the Kestrel.
Thanks for your response. It's really helpful.

One more question, can Foretrex 901 work connect to both Rangefinder and Kestrel and capture their sensor readings at the same time?

Ok, what app are you pairing the 901 and kestrel too? I have a 701,901 and the delta and have been trying to have my 5700 kestrel send weather info to my 901

Ok, what app are you pairing the 901 and kestrel too? I have a 701,901 and the delta and have been trying to have my 5700 kestrel send weather info to my 901
There are no apps required to pair the 901 and the Kestrel. As long as you have the latest software on both the Kestrel and the 901 you can pair them as described at Garmin - Supported Weather Meters.

Thinking of getting a 901. Can the output from the Target Card on the Kestrel be displayed on the Foretrex 901 screen? If so, can someone post a pic of the target card display on the device? How many targets can be displayed at once?

Does anyone know how to change the wind speed output on the 901 to mph. Currently it is M/h and I looked through all the settings and could not find the way to change it.

Thinking of getting a 901. Can the output from the Target Card on the Kestrel be displayed on the Foretrex 901 screen? If so, can someone post a pic of the target card display on the device? How many targets can be displayed at once?
No, you would need to use the Target Card on the 901.

Does anyone know how to change the wind speed output on the 901 to mph. Currently it is M/h and I looked through all the settings and could not find the way to change it.
mh is miles per hour.

No, you would need to use the Target Card on the 901.

mh is miles per hour.
Thanks Doc…They really should put the slash “/“ in there like they did with M/S and KM/H. Especially since I wasn’t familiar with the term “statute” in reference to Imperial Units. But, now I know.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
Thanks Doc…They really should put the slash “/“ in there like they did with M/S and KM/H. Especially since I wasn’t familiar with the term “statute” in reference to Imperial Units. But, now I know.
I always suggest sending any feature requests one might like or want to see directly to Garmin. This allows a ticket to be open on their side for it.

Does anyone use their LRF with the Garmin 901? If so, does yours allow you to enter the target card and then go to quick edit and rapidly toggle through targets 1-10 and add ranges from your LRF? Mine worked for one or two, then bombed out the connection to the LRF. I had to reconnect it manually, but it happens each time. Seems like a bug, but I wanted to see if it happens to anyone else before I call Garmin.

Does anyone use their LRF with the Garmin 901? If so, does yours allow you to enter the target card and then go to quick edit and rapidly toggle through targets 1-10 and add ranges from your LRF? Mine worked for one or two, then bombed out the connection to the LRF. I had to reconnect it manually, but it happens each time. Seems like a bug, but I wanted to see if it happens to anyone else before I call Garmin.
I highly suggest sending a ticket into Garmin with exactly what happened and if you can re-create this. This way they can get a stabilization fix in the next update for Q3.

I highly suggest sending a ticket into Garmin with exactly what happened and if you can re-create this. This way they can get a stabilization fix in the next update for Q3.
Doesn't appear to be a Garmin issue, I confirmed that it only happens with the Vectronix Terrapin X and not the Sig Kilos. Lovely...cuz I'm sure Vectronix is super responsive to the civilian market (heavy sarcasm alert). Does anyone have comms with Phillip Velayo? He runs the Terrapin X and Foretrex 901 and maybe has some sway related to his higher profile in the shooting community.

Doesn't appear to be a Garmin issue, I confirmed that it only happens with the Vectronix Terrapin X and not the Sig Kilos. Lovely...cuz I'm sure Vectronix is super responsive to the civilian market (heavy sarcasm alert). Does anyone have comms with Phillip Velayo? He runs the Terrapin X and Foretrex 901 and maybe has some sway related to his higher profile in the shooting community.
If you are using the Terrapin X it is not a Garmin issue. However, it is always good to report things like to Garmin so their support team knows the issue exists. A report can often help disseminate information to the company so that if someone else has the same problem that company can give good insight to the customer as to why.

Kinda cool workflow with the new Garmin 901:
From the main Applied Ballistics screen
Foretrex_901_0000_Layer 0.jpg

Press the enter button to bring up the options list and select target card
Foretrex_901_0001_Layer 2.jpg

From the target card
Foretrex_901_0002_Layer 3.jpg

Press the enter button and select quick edit
Foretrex_901_0003_Layer 4.jpg

From this edit screen, use up/down to select a target from the list
Foretrex_901_0004_Layer 5.jpg

Press enter to modify the target information
Foretrex_901_0005_Layer 6.jpg

From this screen you can use your connected rangefinder to range the target and automatically update the range on the Garmin. Press the page button to drop back to the target card screen and select another target to work through your list. Works pretty darn well.

Annnddd, another Garmin fail. I cannot connect my Kestrel 5700x to the Garmin 901 for environmental data import. I get this message, "UNSUPPORTED KESTREL. NO APPLIED BALLISTICS SOLVER FOUND. KESTREL UNPAIRED."

IMG_8815.jpeg

Anyone else getting this error?

Garmin tech support is rubbish. Kestrel confirmed that it is a known bug with the Garmin Foretrex 901. They were able to offer a workaround fix by doing a "soft reset" on the Kestrel 5700X. I confirmed that it did work for my setup. Here are the exact steps I did to get it to work:
  1. Turn both devices on
  2. Have the Kestrel set to Bluetooth in PC/Mobile mode
  3. On the Garmin, go into Connect screen and scroll down to "Other"
  4. Select "Search for new" and let the Garmin find the Kestrel, but don't select it yet
  5. Power off the Kestrel, pull the battery and hold down the power button for 30 sec, and then restart the Kestrel
  6. Once the Kestrel is back up, then switch to Garmin and select the 5700X that was detected in step #4
  7. Give it a few seconds, but it should now show "connected" under the "Other" setting
  8. Use page button to switch back to the Applied Ballistics screen on the Garmin
  9. Press enter button and scroll down to select "Environment"
  10. Change "auto update" setting to "on"
  11. Weather data from Kestrel should now immediately update to the Garmin
  12. Currently the update interval for weather data is fixed at 5 minutes, but I confirmed that you can trigger an instant update just by repeating step #9. Just going to the environment screen on the Garmin seems to grab new Kestrel data.

Good luck!!

Annnddd, another Garmin fail. I cannot connect my Kestrel 5700x to the Garmin 901 for environmental data import. I get this message, "UNSUPPORTED KESTREL. NO APPLIED BALLISTICS SOLVER FOUND. KESTREL UNPAIRED."

View attachment 8179641

Anyone else getting this error?

There are instructions for getting this to work on our support site at Pairing with Kestrel.

There are instructions for getting this to work on our support site at Pairing with Kestrel.
Ha, that didn’t work. That is why I contacted Garmin Tech support. Garmin didn’t even know it was a problem with the 5700x. Kestrel tech support immediately knew that it is a known bug in the Garmin device and at least offered a possible work around.

Is there enough screen real estate to show W1 and W1 on the range card?

Yes. Here is a close up pic of the range card.
Thanks for the picture but isn’t that the target card?

I’m asking about the range card that you scroll through at a given yd increment. On the 701 they only give 1 column after the elevation column and I always thought there was enough room for 2, ie. W1/W2.

Thanks for the picture but isn’t that the target card?

I’m asking about the range card that you scroll through at a given yd increment. On the 701 they only give 1 column after the elevation column and I always thought there was enough room for 2, ie. W1/W2.
Yep, same deal on the 901. Definitely looks like there is plenty of space, but only shows wind 1. You can press enter button and select "change fields" and toggle wind 1 to wind 2 though but that's a couple of presses away.

Any tips for connecting a Garmin 901 to a Sig Kilo 3K rangefinder? It was on the supported list. It finds it, but then the screen just sits on “Connecting” forever and never connects…

@Garmin

Any tips for connecting a Garmin 901 to a Sig Kilo 3K rangefinder? It was on the supported list. It finds it, but then the screen just sits on “Connecting” forever and never connects…

@Garmin

This is a known bug which should get fixed in the upcoming update. If it doesn't fix it, I would recommend sending a bug report to both Garmin and Sig to make sure it stays on the list.

So if I'm understanding is correct for compatible weather meters this one would work?

Attachments

• 6108eSrBxsL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    6108eSrBxsL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 16
So if I'm understanding is correct for compatible weather meters this one would work?

I think it needs to be the “Elite Ballistics” model, which runs Applied Ballistics software, the one you linked might be running ballistics software proprietary to Kestrel. I could be mistaken though.

I think it needs to be the “Elite Ballistics” model, which runs Applied Ballistics software, the one you linked might be running ballistics software proprietary to Kestrel. I could be mistaken though.
Thanks, what I ended up doing is getting the 5700 Ballistics edition. I figure if it does not pair with the 901 I can always upgrade the firmware.

Is it possible to connect the Calypso ultrasonic portable wind meter to the Foretrex 901? The Calypso unit connects to Garmin watches and would be a great solution as part of a Foretrex 901 system with a laser rangefinder (I have a Terrapin X), so I just need wind data.

Does anyone know if the 901 is connected to the Sig Kilo 10K, when you are ranging targets, will the 901 also capture the environmental data from the Sig? I would like to avoid having to connect to my Kestrel as well. Thanks.

So, I have done everything on this page to connect my kestrel 5700 elite to my fortrex 901 and just wont connect. I have even called garmin and they told me to just call kestrel. My sig binos are connected under the applied ballistics section and I tried to connect the kestrel under "other" but it just searches forever and nothing.. Any help is appreciated

Yes, it can.
Question: I just got off the phone with Garmin Support, the gentleman informed me the 901 can only connect to ONE device (Kestrel 5700 Elite or Sig Kilo 5K) at a time, not both simultaneously. Did he have incorrect information? If so, how to I connect these? Thank you in advance.

Why do you not release a software update allowing the wind meters to also be able to pair with the Foretrex 701? Why did you decide to make that functionality obsolete with all 701 owners forcing them to buy a 901?

So, I have done everything on this page to connect my kestrel 5700 elite to my fortrex 901 and just wont connect. I have even called garmin and they told me to just call kestrel. My sig binos are connected under the applied ballistics section and I tried to connect the kestrel under "other" but it just searches forever and nothing.. Any help is appreciated

Question: I just got off the phone with Garmin Support, the gentleman informed me the 901 can only connect to ONE device (Kestrel 5700 Elite or Sig Kilo 5K) at a time, not both simultaneously. Did he have incorrect information? If so, how to I connect these? Thank you in advance.

It appears I FINALLY paired all three devices (Garmin Foretrex 901 Ballistic, Kestrel 5700 Elite, and SIG Kilo5K).

Did all of the battery removals, software updates, etc. Paired Sig Kilo via Applied Ballistics in the Garmin's Connect menu.

Kestrel wouldn't connect via Other. Held Kestrel power button down for 30 seconds, THEN the Kestrel paired with the Garmin. Hopefully this helps. Now that they're connected, I can dive further into settings.

Reactions: 5280yotes and Terp
In case this is helpful for others - confirmed with Garmin support via private SH convo (Garmin general support didn't even know which planet they were on):

For the Foretrex 901:
1. Will not accept weather inputs from Sig Kilo10K - only range.
2. Can pair a single weather device (eg, Kestrel) and a single LRF (eg, Sig Kilo) simultaneously. But cannot pair more than one of each simultaneously (though, not sure why you'd need/want to).
3. All weather inputs are transferred from the Kestrel w/o the need to input any metrics manually into the Foretrex. It does not simply base on DA from the Kestrel - it takes all of the underlying variables and uses those for the ballistic solver.

For the Tactix 7:
1. The exact same specs as above.

I'd love to see a video of someone ranging targets and using the Foretrex in the field. I guess my last question, which I failed to ask (maybe one of you know) - if you have your Kestrel on a weathervane, will the Foretrex update windage real-time?

Reactions: R_A_W and Longbow
Hi everyone. I don't mean to hijack this post, but all the knowledgeable people are here already.
I have a 901, but unlike in the Kestrel 5700 elite, where you can set the wind direction for each target, the 901's wind direction adjusts the same for every target. To explain the point, if I set the DOF of target 1 to 100deg and target 2 to 120 and 3 to 150. then I set the wind direction for target 1 to 9 o'clock, all the targets' wind direction would change to 9 o'clock.
It would be nice if the same "use compass" option to capture the DOF in the target card would be available to capture the wind direction as well.
Does anyone have a solution or advice?
Regards

Are you guys mounting these to rifles and are they designed to handle years of recoil (like @Garmin said of the new market disruptor Xero)?

Website does say vibration and shock, so sounds like all systems are go...just wondering if (and how) you guys are mounting them vs wearing on the wrist.

I have a HUD in the cart I would pair with a HawkHill mount, but the 901 piqued my interest more so. Thanks!

1700107164420.png

Reactions: tna9001
Just a quick follow up to the Garmin LRF bug update...I just confirmed that in addition to improving stability of the LRF link, you can more easily range targets from the Target Card screen. You no longer have to enter the submenu screens for each target on the list. From the Target Card screen, just press the enter button and select Quick Edit. From that screen, you can immediately range a target and it will update the highlighted target from your list. Then just up/down button to move to the next target on the list and range the next target. So much faster workflow. Thanks Garmin!!

Hi. Is the new Kilo 4K rangefinder with ABU compatible with the Foretrex 901?

Reactions: Chappies
I'm creating some new profiles for my Garmin 901 in the AB Synapse software and it keeps erroring out stating: "To use AB Synapse - Garmin, please update the firmware on your Foretrex 901." I've used the Garmin Connect app to check for updates and none are reported. Any ideas?

I'm creating some new profiles for my Garmin 901 in the AB Synapse software and it keeps erroring out stating: "To use AB Synapse - Garmin, please update the firmware on your Foretrex 901." I've used the Garmin Connect app to check for updates and none are reported. Any ideas?
I had updates that needed installed a couple of days ago but I use the PC app to update my Tactix and 901

I had updates that needed installed a couple of days ago but I use the PC app to update my Tactix and 901
Yeah, I'm not sure Connect or Explore are doing the updates wirelessly even though it says they will.

Im curious about the direction of fire to wind direction calculations , if i pair some fury5000’s with ab , and a kestrel elite . Will this unit use the compasses to set the wind direction to each target ? Because if im shooting a match where the targets are at various angles and this unit messes up the wind angle cause it cannot do different comparisons between wind angle and DOF it would be really dissapointing . Also it says range only so im guessing it does not send direction and inclination from the fury’s

Im curious about the direction of fire to wind direction calculations , if i pair some fury5000’s with ab , and a kestrel elite . Will this unit use the compasses to set the wind direction to each target ? Because if im shooting a match where the targets are at various angles and this unit messes up the wind angle cause it cannot do different comparisons between wind angle and DOF it would be really dissapointing . Also it says range only so im guessing it does not send direction and inclination from the fury’s
No, it only sends range data from the LRF. DOF and wind cosine are manually entered on the 901's environment screen. When I was in staging areas, I would measure wind with my Kestrel and load a high/low speed and leave it at 3 o'clock. I would just do the math in my head to adjust for DOF. With the time I saved not having to write ranges, etc, I don't feel too rushed doing a quick wind cosine adjustment. I'm sure they can start pulling more data from LRFs in the future with firmware updates.