• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Foretrex 901 vs Kestrel 5700x Result

Beyond The Myth

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2022
Los Angeles, California
I've been experimenting with two devices and I'm curious to know if anyone can explain why their calculations differ slightly.

The difference is probably minor, just a few mils? but I'm still interested in understanding why. Or this is completely normal between two different devices.

Both devices have identical profile settings.

Profile from Kestrel
1704518205690.png

Profile from Garmin
1704518376204.png

Attachments

• 2024-01-05 15.50.40.jpg
    2024-01-05 15.50.40.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2024-01-05 15.50.59.jpg
    2024-01-05 15.50.59.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 2024-01-05 15.51.13.jpg
    2024-01-05 15.51.13.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 72
Probably a mismatch of environmentals or the various earth based effects enabled/disabled between them (DoF/Wind direction, Coriolis/ Eotvos, Spin drift, Aerodynamic Jump)

Reactions: TRAINERRANDY
Probably a mismatch of environmentals or the various earth based effects enabled/disabled between them (DoF/Wind direction, Coriolis/ Eotvos, Spin drift, Aerodynamic Jump)
That’s def where I would start. Zero the wind. Turn of Aj and spin drift. Make the DoF 000 and go from there.

Also maybe @DocUSMCRetired has some feedback.

So a couple things here.

1) Did you lock the environmentals, and are they exactly the same? If you don't lock them they will continue to update in your hand.
2) Did you double check latitude is the same in both?
3) Are all secondary effects equal?
4) Check the range card. Specifically check your Wind Hold, Remaining Velocity, and Kinetic Energy.

So a couple things here.

1) Did you lock the environmentals, and are they exactly the same? If you don't lock them they will continue to update in your hand.
2) Did you double check latitude is the same in both?
3) Are all secondary effects equal?
4) Check the range card. Specifically check your Wind Hold, Remaining Velocity, and Kinetic Energy.
Thanks for all the suggestion. Here is some screenshot after I lock the environments.

What is the secondary effects? Thanks again.

Wind are all zero
1704561027756.png

Set the Temp SP and RH the same

1704561051336.png

Auto update off

1704561078626.png

Leave the setting default

1704561104424.png

Range Card below. Start with the 100 yards is already 0.02 difference.

1704561135183.png

1704561164474.png

Thanks for all the suggestion. Here is some screenshot after I lock the environments.

Wind are all zero
View attachment 8315866

View attachment 8315867

Auto update off

View attachment 8315868

View attachment 8315869

View attachment 8315870

View attachment 8315874
Secondary effects are what we said above. Spin drift Aj etc. turn all that stuff off.

Wind are all zero
View attachment 8315866

View attachment 8315867

Auto update off

View attachment 8315868

View attachment 8315869

View attachment 8315870

View attachment 8315874
Also you need to set your latitude, and firing directions the same. I see the results are becoming much closer. Once you are within say 1 click of a turret or two. That is considered within rounding.

Also, remember that the Garmin 901 does not have internal environmental sensors...gets them from an external source. If you are trying to compare ballistic output to the 5700, make sure you manually set the Garmin's temp, RH and pressure to match.

Also, remember that the Garmin 901 does not have internal environmental sensors...gets them from an external source. If you are trying to compare ballistic output to the 5700, make sure you manually set the Garmin's temp, RH and pressure to match.
Ah totally didnt know this. So i guess i will need to pair to kestrel all the time. Thanks

Ah totally didnt know this. So i guess i will need to pair to kestrel all the time. Thanks
Yeah, it's kinda lame. Just set 50% humidity, 65 deg and your typical pressure for your area and I bet it will be pretty darn close most of the day. Adjust as needed.

Not true. It has an internal barometer and pulls latitude (Has to pull temp from a Tempe, and Humidity set at 50%). Which is why you have to turn auto update off and set everything the same. FYI my Kestrel and 701 match for all my loads with everything setup the same. I would sure think your 901 would do the same.

Reactions: BeteNoire
Can the Tempe be paired to the 901 simultaneously with an LRF or only one device at a time?
Yea Looks like it. Under the connect page, it has its own Tempe Sensor option and the LRF is connected with AB. Going to get one Tempe and test it.

IMG_1965.jpeg

I use my Tempe with my Sig 2400 at the same time. That’s with a 701
Where will be the best spot to mount the Tempe? To get the correct temperature

I keep it in an inside pocket of my pack, or an outside pocket of an insulated jacket during the winter. If it’s overcast I have it on a lanyard attached to my tripod. It seems to read pretty much spot on as long as it’s not in direct sunlight. Only issue with my 701 I have found is it takes a little bit to update in my 701 when going outside during the winter when it’s really cold out. And that could just be because the 701 is an older product.

Can the Tempe be paired to the 901 simultaneously with an LRF or only one device at a time?
Yes it can be.

Where will be the best spot to mount the Tempe? To get the correct temperature
You want this away from your body (no artificial heating) in open out, out of direct sunlight when possible. I keep mine pinned to a strap on my backpack.

@DocUSMCRetired Got it. Thank you for all the help. Right now they are within <0.1 mil different. I will assume its just rounding different like you said.

Just one more question is there a Holdover predial setting available on Garmin?
No, but you can always contact their support department and request it. Garmin does their own firmware and programming so they can add stuff like that in house with enough people requesting it.

Ok great thread! My question to Beyond The Myth is if you had to buy only 1 unit, would you buy the Kestral, Garmin 701, 901 mainly for shooting, however tracking is very important as well.
However I would want my Ballistics to be Spot on at the top of the priority list...
I did see Garmin makes a bad ass watch the: Garmin Tactix 7 Pro Ballistic Solar Tactical GPS Smartwatch, which is all the things a guy could want except it doesn't do Scuba! If it did that would be my all around watch even if it cost $3-4,000 (and it had onboard sensors like the Kestral... I suspect the sensors are not on par with the Kestral due to the waterproofing aspect of the devices?)

Ok great thread! My question to Beyond The Myth is if you had to buy only 1 unit, would you buy the Kestral, Garmin 701, 901 mainly for shooting, however tracking is very important as well.
However I would want my Ballistics to be Spot on at the top of the priority list...
I did see Garmin makes a bad ass watch the: Garmin Tactix 7 Pro Ballistic Solar Tactical GPS Smartwatch, which is all the things a guy could want except it doesn't do Scuba! If it did that would be my all around watch even if it cost $3-4,000 (and it had onboard sensors like the Kestral... I suspect the sensors are not on par with the Kestral due to the waterproofing aspect of the devices?)
So why not get the Scuba version with AB on it? You can see the list here, and the Descent Mk3 in certain versions is on it. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=L0R2b03k7EArLmL5CvJsD6