• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Inreach Mini vs Explorer +

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Ok, let's save the "learn to read a paper map" argument for another thread. That's not what I am asking that is not the info I am seeking.

I spend a lot of time outside of cell service recreating. The wife wants me to get an SOS beacon for emergencies. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin Inreach Mini and the explorer+. Reason being is they have the SOS function as well as the function to send messages.

I like the size and cost of the mini. Small easy to tether or carry where ever needed. My biggest issue is it has the goofy little touch screen. I don't necessarily like touch screens when a fair bit of my recreating involves gloves.

The explorer+ fixes the issue of touch screen. It has the actual buttons that seem to be operable with anything except for maybe ski gloves.. one con I see, but can't confirm is that it eats batteries faster? Is this because of the additional screen and GPS functions?

I've read enough Google reviews and get so much conflicting data. Has anyone in here ran both? Thoughts? Compact with no buttons vs larger with buttons and more "features" that I likely won't use.

Ok, let's save the "learn to read a paper map" argument for another thread. That's not what I am asking that is not the info I am seeking.

I spend a lot of time outside of cell service recreating. The wife wants me to get an SOS beacon for emergencies. I'm trying to decide between the Garmin Inreach Mini and the explorer+. Reason being is they have the SOS function as well as the function to send messages.

I like the size and cost of the mini. Small easy to tether or carry where ever needed. My biggest issue is it has the goofy little touch screen. I don't necessarily like touch screens when a fair bit of my recreating involves gloves.

The explorer+ fixes the issue of touch screen. It has the actual buttons that seem to be operable with anything except for maybe ski gloves.. one con I see, but can't confirm is that it eats batteries faster? Is this because of the additional screen and GPS functions?

I've read enough Google reviews and get so much conflicting data. Has anyone in here ran both? Thoughts? Compact with no buttons vs larger with buttons and more "features" that I likely won't use.
Inreach mini user here. Not sure when the mini started using a touch screen? I just use the buttons. Regardless, the mini is the way to go. If you have your phone with you for maps, such as on-x, there is no reason to carry a larger GPS or Sat device in addition, in my opinion. The mini will Bluetooth connect to your phone and you can literally just text as you normally would through the app. Unless you are trying to use the mini for a GPS device itself, I see zero reason to use anything else.

I do not keep my Bluetooth on all day to save battery on my phone but I do use the preset messages with the arrow and select buttons on the mini. Takes about 5 seconds to go into messages and send preset and select from the 3 you set before you made your way to the woods.

The mini is really the way to go IMO. I used to carry a color GPS device along with my phone and the mini. Waste of space and weight. Phone and mini is all I take regardless of length of trip and where I'm at. My mini goes for days and days without needing a charge. Think I made it most of a week last year on one charge. I do not do any of the tracking features though.

If I was starting over I would still get the mini. Find it on sale for 275 and don't look back.

Reactions: Rthur and jcam
Inreach mini user here. Not sure when the mini started using a touch screen? I just use the buttons. Regardless, the mini is the way to go. If you have your phone with you for maps, such as on-x, there is no reason to carry a larger GPS or Sat device in addition, in my opinion. The mini will Bluetooth connect to your phone and you can literally just text as you normally would through the app. Unless you are trying to use the mini for a GPS device itself, I see zero reason to use anything else.

I do not keep my Bluetooth on all day to save battery on my phone but I do use the preset messages with the arrow and select buttons on the mini. Takes about 5 seconds to go into messages and send preset and select from the 3 you set before you made your way to the woods.

The mini is really the way to go IMO. I used to carry a color GPS device along with my phone and the mini. Waste of space and weight. Phone and mini is all I take regardless of length of trip and where I'm at. My mini goes for days and days without needing a charge. Think I made it most of a week last year on one charge. I do not do any of the tracking features though.

If I was starting over I would still get the mini. Find it on sale for 275 and don't look back.
Garmin has the Inreach Mini2 now. The mini is on sale. I’m still undecided about which to get. I’m hesitating on the mini because it might not be supported in a few months.

Garmin has the Inreach Mini2 now. The mini is on sale. I’m still undecided about which to get. I’m hesitating on the mini because it might not be supported in a few months.
I'm not Garmin, but with so many thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands? who knows) of the Minis sold, I'm guessing they'll be supporting it for a while.

The InReach Mini 2 does have better batter life ...

Reactions: jcam and MOUNTIC

Perhaps it was the display models I played with? They had locations for physical buttons on the side but they did nothing. To navigate the screen you had to tap on the "button" that's on the screen. It was just odd because it felt like a horrible performing cell phone. Does yours have working buttons on the sides of the body?

Perhaps it was the display models I played with? They had locations for physical buttons on the side but they did nothing. To navigate the screen you had to tap on the "button" that's on the screen. It was just odd because it felt like a horrible performing cell phone. Does yours have working buttons on the sides of the body?

Correct. I only use buttons. Sending a preset is simple as hitting enter. Down. Enter. And picking the message and enter. Just so simple and takes a few seconds. I have not tried the 2 so I can not comment there.

Looks like it has the same buttons like the original. Screen shot from the user manual of the mini 2.
Screenshot_2022-05-15-06-43-02-71_dc00545bd3b8828f033a02ac25b2d36d.jpg

Correct. I only use buttons. Sending a preset is simple as hitting enter. Down. Enter. And picking the message and enter. Just so simple and takes a few seconds. I have not tried the 2 so I can not comment there.

That's good to know. Odd that the display unit was not like the actual product. I'll have to keep watching for a sale. I had hoped they would be on sale here soon but it seems the chip shortages may have hit them too so they may not drop this year.

I forgot to mention before - the other reason I'm guessing the Mini will remain supported is that you need to purchase the subscriptions ... so Garmin would be silly to stop issuing updates not only for a product that has sold so well, but also one which continues to create revenue.

Reactions: jcam
Have a mini 2 in my hand right now. It has the same buttons as the 1. If it's supposed to have a touch screen it doesn't work. It's straight buttons like the original.

Attachments

• 16530710823126602581371515149550.jpg
    16530710823126602581371515149550.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 50
Have a mini 2 in my hand right now. It has the same buttons as the 1. If it's supposed to have a touch screen it doesn't work. It's straight buttons like the original.

Good to hear thank you. I'm hoping they have a sale soon. Unsure if they will though with all the microchip shortages.

Good to hear thank you. I'm hoping they have a sale soon. Unsure if they will though with all the microchip shortages.
The competitor to garmin in reach series is zoleo. I have Inreach but I know a lot of other thru hikers have used this, so I looked into the plan and it’s a decent option.
ZOLEO Satellite Communicator – Two-Way Global SMS Text Messenger & Email, Emergency SOS Alerting, Check-in & GPS Location – Android iOS Smartphone Accessory

Next, the garmin explorer is basically a 60 series gps with inreach. If you don’t use a gps for real navigation than you can do without it. However, if you are using nav, especially in conjunction with a map, with stored ways points from garmin base camp, or something like it…onx for example, then the explorer is the way to go.

Mini user here. It’s worked well and been through quite a bit of abuse. No touch screen as others have said. I primarily use the preset messages and also have it ping my location along with them so my wife knows I’m alive.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
So the Zoloeo units are currently on sale for $150.

Inreach mini 1 is $319 on sale.

Just saw today the Garmin 66i is on sale for $450.

Still leaning towards the mini or zoleo since they can be carried more easily, especially when mountain or dirt biking. But the $150 off on the full blow 66i is tempting too.. anyone used the 66i unit? I don't really need the full GPS unit it has but I wouldn't mind trying it.

Still leaning towards the mini or zoleo since they can be carried more easily, especially when mountain or dirt biking. But the $150 off on the full blow 66i is tempting too.. anyone used the 66i unit? I don't really need the full GPS unit it has but I wouldn't mind trying it.
If you don’t need it, you don’t need it.

It has more features than 99% of this forum knows what to do with. I even fathom of that 99%, that 90% don’t venture beyond LOS of their vehicle when “hiking.”

So, might as well save money, but it IS you’re money. You do what you want.

If you don’t need it, you don’t need it.

It has more features than 99% of this forum knows what to do with. I even fathom of that 99%, that 90% don’t venture beyond LOS of their vehicle when “hiking.”

So, might as well save money, but it IS you’re money. You do what you want.
Good news is I spend a lot of time away from "LOS of my vehicle" 🙄

The Explorer + has better battery life and that is the main reason I bought one over the mini. Having the nav feature without the phone is another plus but using it through the phone is way better just like with the mini. There is no touch screen on either the explorer + or mini so using it through the phone is again preferable but if the phone dies then the explorer + in my mind would be the better tool. Ya the mini is smaller but the explorer + isn’t huge. If you’re going out for a quick out and back I’d say go with a mini but if you’re going out on multi day outings I’d definitely use the explorer + over the min.

I have both. Took the Explorer+ to the Aleutians and it was flawless. The Mini is nice as well... I would say don't get wrapped around the axle about your choice. Both are great. If you will have your phone with you at all times, the Mini is pretty sweet... The Explorer+ is way easier to operate w/o the phone. If you are mostly wanting to let people know you aren't dead, I'd get the Mini...

I use explorer + daily. I send a preset where I park the truck and unload the 4 wheeler, turn it off then at noon a preset, 1600 a preset, and when on the pavement headed home another preset. Powered down between messages, the battery will last a long time I think I only charged at most 2 times in 12 months.

Reactions: flyfisher117
I got an Explorer for my wife as well. We are of course able to communicate without cell service when traveling separately. Been using them for the past 5 years very satisfied.

I got my GF a inreach mini and I had the Explorer + and then got a 66i about a month ago. The 66i is the shit, just spent a couple weeks exploring National Forests with it. My girlfriend loves it too so I’m going to upgrade her the next time they’re on sale. REI was just running them for $450.

Reactions: flyfisher117

I’ve got a 66i. It’s a great unit, but likely much larger than what you want to carry if you’re hiking a lot. I use it for road trips expecting we don’t have cell coverage many areas we go. If a tiny size doesn’t matter to you, the 66i is awesome.

Sounds like the Mini2, paired with your phone for easy use if you want, might be the way to go.