• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Instinct owners are you happy with the watch?

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    So I just purchased my first smart watch and after a lot of research I narrowed it down to the Instinct and the Suunto Traverse Alpha. I mainly wanted it for the GPS features and notifications from my phone. I decided on the Garmin b/c it was lighter weight, less expensive, and had more “features” like heart rate, step count, and a caloric burn assessment. For my main intent the watch is fine, however the heart rate is a joke, the step counter goes up like gang busters when I am brushing my teeth, and the caloric burn simply seems like a random number. I couldn’t give a damn about the calories as I have that all figured out after a decade of marathon Mountain bike racing, nor do I care about the steps, but the heart rate is important to me. I know a wrist based meter is not as accurate as a chest strap (which I have and use for training). This watch is not even close, yesterday during a VO2 max workout with 1.5 minute intervals it was registering my heart rate at 85-110 bpm! I was actually between 160-165 bpm.

If you have one what has been your experience? I am about to return this watch and order a Suunto instead. Thank you in advance.

I just have a tactix bravo. So can't really comment on your other stuff. I will say that I know a lot of guys with garmin and suunto watches. The suuntos are either broke or look like shit. Garmin are still going strong and holding up.

I have a Garmin Fenix 5 which I have been very happy with. Works great and have never had a single problem.

I bought a Suunto before the Garmin. And promptly returned it. The screen and colors was like something from the mid 1990's. Not nearly as easy to update either.

I've got an Instinct and like it. HRM is accurate on mine, GPS, compass, altimeter are nice. I've been too lazy (in the year+I've owned it) to turn off the stupid step counter and stair counter things (which are basically useless. Other than using it as a normal watch all I really use it for is the GPS (as a backup when hunting) and use the trail running and hiking functions to track myself when doing either of those activities. Compass and altimeter are handy when backcountry skiing but that's about it for me. I abhor the concept of getting texts/emails/etc on my watch and have purposely never connected/synced my watch to anything else. Dunno how helpful that was, haha

I'd wait before buying because allegedly there's a solar model due out soon.

Having said that, I like my instinct tactical. Lasts about two weeks on a charge and that's with 3-4 sub hour GPS jogs through the neighborhood.

Lots of options I don't do much with but for a smart watch I do like it.

Thanks guys, that is good info!

The reason I was looking at the Suunto is because I bought a Core when they first came out and had it for a few years with great service and have been beating the shit out of a X-Lander Military for at least 5 years maybe several more (I cant remember when I bought it). Other than replacing the straps my sample rate of 2 Sunntos have been perfect. Maybe I was expecting too much out of this Garmin. I will look into turning off the retarded step counter so that doesn’t aggravate me and contact Garmin about the heart rate.

I have a Garmin Fenix 5 which I have been very happy with. Works great and have never had a single problem.

I bought a Suunto before the Garmin. And promptly returned it. The screen and colors was like something from the mid 1990's. Not nearly as easy to update either.

I have the Fenix 5 as well (plus, I think). I really like it. I can use it for a variety of activities.