• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero "Delete History" Question ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm up and running just fine, on the device and the app. I just have one question (so far). When I delete sessions in the app or on the device, and sync them, the deleted sessions go away in the app, but stay in the "History" menu function in the Garmin. I can go into each history session on the Garmin and delete them one at a time, but I can't seem to find a way to purge all historical sessions quickly and/or easily. Has anybody figured this out? Just asking before I submit an enhancement request to Garmin.

Never mind ... just talked to Garmin. They say there's no way to "mass delete" history sessions. If you don't delete them one at a time, they'll live forever on the device. I suggested two ways to do this and submitted as an enhancement ... (1) When you delete a session on the App, the next synch will delete that same session from History on the device. Or (2) Place a "Purge History" item in the settings that, with the appropriate warning, will delete all sessions in History. They took the enhancement request and will submit to their product managers for evaluation.

I ran into this same issue over the weekend. It's kind of surprising there's nothing in the UI to just clear history, especially because it wouldn't be difficult to add at all from a development aspect.

I ran into this same issue over the weekend. It's kind of surprising there's nothing in the UI to just clear history, especially because it wouldn't be difficult to add at all from a development aspect.
    Yeah ... it's an easy programming fix. I like the "Purge History" in the "Settings" menu ... but that's just me. Seriously ... if that's the only thing I have to bitch about on this product, then it's a "Hit It Out Of The Park" homerun. Well ... I want an SD Card too. Emailing your sessions to yourself is a bit of a hack. I want it available in multiple colors too, and Bluetooth, and ...............

Does settings > reset > clear all sessions not clear all shot histories for you?

I had 3 sessions saved on my xero and that cleared all of them out...

They don’t “live forever in the Garmin”, you’ll reach a point to where it all auto delete one to save a new session.

They don’t “live forever in the Garmin”, you’ll reach a point to where it all auto delete one to save a new session.
    I'm a tech-weenie (Programmer, Data Center Manager, etc.) from way back ... and having a plan to fill, overflow, and partial delete from a memory buffer ... is rarely a good programming strategy. IMHO

Reactions: Baron23
    I do a "session" then delete it. I take the average and put it in log book along with Kestrel weather/baro numbers for that day for the particular cartridge I was shooting. Can't see a reason for me to save a bunch of stuff on Garmin or phone. Just me and the way I do things.

I'm a tech-weenie (Programmer, Data Center Manager, etc.) from way back ... and having a plan to fill, overflow, and partial delete from a memory buffer ... is rarely a good programming strategy. IMHO
    I don’t disagree! Was merely stating the Garmin has a relatively small amount of storage space on the actual device.

It just tells you when you start a new session that it has to delete an old one. It's not a rolling delete.

Does settings > reset > clear all sessions not clear all shot histories for you?

I had 3 sessions saved on my xero and that cleared all of them out...
    I'm not a fan of using a "Return to Defaults" or "Factory Reset" as a way to clear a memory buffer. It might work, but it's definitely not the preferred way to do this ... definitely not a programming "best practice".

It just tells you when you start a new session that it has to delete an old one. It's not a rolling delete.
    The "ex-programmer" in me still thinks that filling a memory buffer and going to a Last-In/First-Out mode is a bad idea. I still want a dedicated menu item that lets me purge all history whenever I want a clean device. But that's just me.

I'm not a fan of using a "Return to Defaults" or "Factory Reset" as a way to clear a memory buffer. It might work, but it's definitely not the preferred way to do this ... definitely not a programming "best practice".

You're not resetting the unit to defaults, only clearing the entire shot history using the menu I pointed out (there is a separate option under that reset menu to reset the unit to factory default settings; reset/clear all shot histories and reset unit to default settings are two separate options under the settings > reset menu.)

Since the clear all shot histories is already a menu option, the only issue here IMO is where in the menu structure Garmin chose to put the clear all shot histories option.

I do agree that the clear all shot histories option would be better located in the history/session management menu and not down in the unit settings > reset submenu right next to the reset all unit settings to default option, but as of now all you have to do to delete all your archived shots off the device without having to delete the sessions one at a time is go to settings > reset > clear all sessions.

Last edited:
    You're not resetting the unit to defaults, only clearing the entire shot history using the menu I pointed out (there is a separate option under that reset menu to reset the unit to factory default settings; reset/clear all shot histories and reset unit to default settings are two separate options under the settings > reset menu.)

Since the clear all shot histories is already a menu option, the only issue here IMO is where in the menu structure Garmin chose to put the clear all shot histories option.

I do agree that the clear all shot histories option would be better located in the history/session management menu and not down in the unit settings > reset submenu right next to the reset all unit settings to default option, but as of now all you have to do to delete all your archived shots off the device without having to delete the sessions one at a time is go to settings > reset > clear all sessions.
    Where did you find the "Clear All Shots" menu item that wipes the history clean? I know you can do that for the shots in an individual session, but what I'm (we're) complaining about is that you have to do that one session at a time vs. a "mass purge" of any and all sessions in History. Am I missing something? Did you find a place that with one swipe, will purge all sessions and their respective shots in the device's history?

Where did you find the "Clear All Shots" menu item that wipes the history clean? I know you can do that for the shots in an individual session, but what I'm (we're) complaining about is that you have to do that one session at a time vs. a "mass purge" of any and all sessions in History. Am I missing something? Did you find a place that with one swipe, will purge all sessions and their respective shots in the device's history?

Settings ->reset ->clear all sessions

Don't have to reset to default.

Exactly. Go to settings > reset > clear all sessions.

That deletes every shot session at once but leaves all the other settings as you had them.

I know it's on firmware version 3.21; I believe it was also there on earlier versions, but I don't feel like downgrading firmware to verify the option is there in earlier versions.

Cool ... it works. I'm surprised they put it under the "Reset" menu item ... as people (like me) are always afraid to do that because it tends to be synonymous with "Factory Defaults". It's interesting ... even the Tech Support guy at Garmin said you had to delete one session at a time and there was no way to purge all the sessions in History. THANKS ... problem solved.

I do a "session" then delete it. I take the average and put it in log book along with Kestrel weather/baro numbers for that day for the particular cartridge I was shooting. Can't see a reason for me to save a bunch of stuff on Garmin or phone. Just me and the way I do things.
    Yeah that's kind of what I do too. I write the Max and Min speed and the MV down for each session in my book unless there's some specifics I need each shot for but I still write it down in my book. It's a lot easier to check later if you need it and I don't need to keep every string I shoot.