• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas block pinning options

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Finishing up a SHTF build. I have a criterion core barrel that I'm going to send to ADCO for them to pin a gas block. Looking for suggestions on said gas block. I'd like a .625 low profile, non adjustable. Any suggestions? Are all gas blocks in this arena created equal?

Thanks fellas

Avoid aluminum. Beyond that, any steel block with a reasonable fit is the same as the rest as far as I can tell.

Most gas blocks will work, but you should ask ADCO, Last I heard they had an aversion to drilling anything nitride or QPQ, but that was a couple years ago. Griffin has a pre-drilled block, but some prefer to "match" drill.

Most gas blocks will work, but you should ask ADCO, Last I heard they had an aversion to drilling anything nitride or QPQ, but that was a couple years ago. Griffin has a pre-drilled block, but some prefer to "match" drill.
    I like those griffens. Would you happen to know the set screw spacing? I already have my barrel dimpled.

Sorry wrong size it's a .750

I wouldn’t pay duckman that much for his gas block, the premium is way too big. Worth mentioning I have seen and heard tell of VLTOR and BCM blocks failing in the last year so there’s clearly some metallurgy issues slipping through QA in the more premium/usually reliable side of the house.

It’s odd, but I get consistently tight bores out of Wilson’s no frills gas blocks. They are easy to drill as well though I have a drilling jig.

I wouldn’t pay duckman that much for his gas block, the premium is way too big. Worth mentioning I have seen and heard tell of VLTOR and BCM blocks failing in the last year so there’s clearly some metallurgy issues slipping through QA in the more premium/usually reliable side of the house.

It’s odd, but I get consistently tight bores out of Wilson’s no frills gas blocks. They are easy to drill as well though I have a drilling jig.
    Interesting. Maybe I'll end up with a cheap aero gasblock. Never had problems with them.

Aero has better QC than LMT so it’s not like a terrible choice or anything.

Not my brand of choice but I won’t stop you.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    +1 on what @TheOE800 said! I have drill jigs for gas blocks myself. EASY task that won't take more than 30 minutes if you are mega-slow and take a 10 minute break (lol)
    Just make sure the gas block is 100% accurate in location, mark with a pencil or silver sharpie, then line up the jig hole(s) and drill using the jig!

+1 on what @TheOE800 said! I have drill jigs for gas blocks myself. EASY task that won't take more than 30 minutes if you are mega-slow and take a 10 minute break (lol)
    Just make sure the gas block is 100% accurate in location, mark with a pencil or silver sharpie, then line up the jig hole(s) and drill using the jig!
    Well shit, now I might just do it myself. What jig are you using?

Not off the top of my head. There are at least 5 different set screw spacings, a major reason why I don't like barrels that come with 2 dimples.
    Unfortunately, I did the second simple myself. The criterion core only comes with one. Should have left it and pinned it how it was. Oh well.

Reactions: msgriff
    My bad. I have a dimpling jig. I was looking for a jig to be able to pin a gas block.
    I did a double-dimple using my SLR jig, then some loctite in both of the set screws and the gas block on my AR308 is solid! No movement whatsoever after probably 800 rounds...

I went this route rather than pinning as it was easier for me to do on my own.

But, if you do want to pin your gas block, there is this article that may help

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=5209