• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas checks

DaveV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
_
My brother is getting back into reloading after a three decade time-out. He used to load a lot of .357 SWC and never used a gas check. I load .45 and have no frame of reference. What are your thoughts on gas checks?

Re: Gas checks

Gas checks are mainly for magnum type loads. I used to cast quiet a lot. My brother's 357 used to lead really bad if I didn't put the gas checks on them. All I cast for now is 45 & 44mag. The 44mag does get a gas check.

If you step the loads down so the flame doesn't melt the base of the bullet, you'll be OK. But hot loads... you want to check your barrel for leading quiet frequently.

If your gun does start leading you need to get a "Lewis Lead Remover". It's basically an expandable rubber plug with some brass screen wire patches to "scrub" the inside the barrel with. Leading is a real mess to get rid of until you figure it out.

I hope this helps you out.

Good luck.

I've loaded mostly cast bullets for pistol and don't use gas checks. I don't know of any one who does for most pistol rounds. I have seen them used for cast rifle rounds. They keep the higher pressure from cutting around the bullet. There may also be applications for .44 or higher pressure pistol rounds.

re:dave V on gaschecks.it seems that even hard cast can lead more in above chamber . often the softer old style cupped in back cast will upset during firing to fill out any differing sizes in bullet & chamber & bore & eliminate leading in even soft cast in older 45's , but as of late the 45 caliber are better matched & hot gas cannot flame over heel of hardcact. each lead hardness level requires a certain PRESSURE LEVEL in PSI to bump & upset the UNCLAD base thus sealing its way & just provide a even sheen of lead that is desired to lube the barrel for many shots & not build up into lumps by escaping gases. i use the lead hardness indicator made by LEE, a particular level of force is brought to bear on a filed flat area for a number of seconds which ceates a small indentation tat is read by a supplied 20pwr scope with a scale to range the width of the hole on giving a # to match on a list giving you the pressure level needed to upset the lead base. you will benifit from a load book that not only gives recipies for speed but the useful PRESSURE LEVEL that this hardness level is useful in for your start and stop load levels, one such is RICHARD LEE's handloading book, loads & many powders are logicaly presented from fastest load w/indicated pressures indicated by factory pressure barrels in PSI & in C also. the indicater cost about $60 or so but is cheaper other than factory for less, instead of guessing for your load you now have a zone to explore, & save the $ for cups for your new toy, at 30'40 per thou it adds up, my ?to u is why use it if you don't need to. good luck on your loading up your 45. it really can be loaded to surpass my 629 44 in power with less of that cranky pressure that you wouldnot believe. with a bigger weight & hole to boot that is why i am going back 2 265g. 250g,& good ole 240g'ers in my 44mag. latter i'll use up those 300g S & H . IT is an unrully thing w/300g shoots good groups at1 &1/2 foot high while rocking loose my red dot in a couple cylinders, i believe the 45 is at home with heavy bullets & the single action handle helps by rocking recoil back. a 45 will be using my load book at a future time. keep your powder dry.

&

I use gas checks in rifle loads and very very hot pistol loads for 44 mag.

You want to size the bullets to 0.001" larger than the standard copper jacketed bullet size. 357 shoots .358 bullets, 9mm normally shoots .356 bullets so you size them to .357 in lead.

I gave my dad a lead hardness tester for Christmas. He has some lead alloy that is 20lb of wheel weight lead with 1/2cup of magnum shotgun shot.

Drop the bullets straight from the bullet mould into a bucket of water.

The lead bullets tested out at 35.5-36.3 HBn

They only lead the bore if they're undersize.

If you follow those steps to make lead hard you'll have no problems without gas checks, even in low velocity rifle rounds.

For 30cal heavy bullets I always use a gas check, with the 35 HBn bullets I can shoot the 220gr bullets from my 30-06 in the mid 2400's for dirt cheap.