• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas Cooktops

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Anybody here work with appliances or geek out on gas cooktops?

My old Dacor just shit the bed yesterday. Looking at getting a new 36" gas cooktop. Budget is around $2k, could stretch it a little more if needed. But if I can get a quality cooktop and save money, I'm all for it.

Curious what people think the good brands and models are? Hard to find any real honest independent reviews on gas cooktops.

Currently looking at options such as the Bosch 800 series in black & GE Cafe. Brands such as Bertazzoni and Fisher & Paykel are on the radar, but know little about them. I'm unsure of Samsung and LG, though one salesperson is trying to talk me into a LG Signature Kitchen Series. If I stretch my budget to $2500, I can get a Wolf, but unsure how much of a functional upgrade that is. Black would look best in our kitchen, but limits a lot of options.

Curious if anyone here recently went down the rabbithole of getting a new gas cooktop, or has knowledge in this arena.

Didn’t go down the rabbit hole per say, but we replaced the dinosaur pilot light style cooktop when we moved in about 7 years ago. I don’t remember the brand off the top of my head, but will check when I get out of the deer stand.

I think we spent about 650-700 on a 5 burner. I’m happy with it so far. I’m sure there are higher grades and ways to spend way more money, but for the type of cooking we do it works good.

We have run a Bertazzoni 36" cook top for several years now at the recommendation of someone in the trade. Have to say we have been very pleased. I replaced a Thermador with it and have never looked back.

Reactions: kthomas
Wife buying new 36 inch gas stove now. Could buy full custom PRS rifle plus great scope for price. Crazy. Deal is we never go out to eat again (what I said anyway)

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas and Maggot
At least 12 years ago, we purchased a 'used' Electrolux 36", 5-burner NG cooktop. Never had one single problem with it, and to-this-day it is working great.

I also picked up a used Bosch 5-burner, 36" that I'd planned on making into an 'outdoor cooktop' because the summers get so hot here and no point in heating up an area that you're air-conditioning.... but found out later that this particular model that we got (at a great price) doesn't have a converter kit to go from NG to LPG.

That's all I know about things like this, other than the only thing better (in a lot of ways) than gas is induction. We have a few countertop 'burners?' that we use at home here and on the boat. Very awesome'er.

At least 12 years ago, we purchased a 'used' Electrolux 36", 5-burner NG cooktop. Never had one single problem with it, and to-this-day it is working great.

I also picked up a used Bosch 5-burner, 36" that I'd planned on making into an 'outdoor cooktop' because the summers get so hot here and no point in heating up an area that you're air-conditioning.... but found out later that this particular model that we got (at a great price) doesn't have a converter kit to go from NG to LPG.

That's all I know about things like this, other than the only thing better (in a lot of ways) than gas is induction. We have a few countertop 'burners?' that we use at home here and on the boat. Very awesome'er.
What do you Canuks consider hot? It averaged about 108 hear this summer.

Anybody here work with appliances or geek out on gas cooktops?

My old Dacor just shit the bed yesterday. Looking at getting a new 36" gas cooktop. Budget is around $2k, could stretch it a little more if needed. But if I can get a quality cooktop and save money, I'm all for it.

Curious what people think the good brands and models are? Hard to find any real honest independent reviews on gas cooktops.

Currently looking at options such as the Bosch 800 series in black & GE Cafe. Brands such as Bertazzoni and Fisher & Paykel are on the radar, but know little about them. I'm unsure of Samsung and LG, though one salesperson is trying to talk me into a LG Signature Kitchen Series. If I stretch my budget to $2500, I can get a Wolf, but unsure how much of a functional upgrade that is. Black would look best in our kitchen, but limits a lot of options.

Curious if anyone here recently went down the rabbithole of getting a new gas cooktop, or has knowledge in this arena.
My opinion on Samsung is'Dont'> LG, 'Do'. Just my experience, but what will a $2500 stove do that a $899 dollar one wont. Spend it on the rifle.

What do you Canuks consider hot? It averaged about 108 hear this summer.
HAAaaaaaa
For us, it's more of an 'extreme spread' to-which there's thermal shock at each end.

Highs of 30-35 in the summer, and lows of -35 to -45 in the winter. "C". When you're paying to cool your house, there's no logic in lighting a fire in the house whilst cooling..... none at all. Hence the intent of an outdoor 'summer kitchen'.

Our house is an open "post and beam" type construction, with no attic. And no, I'm not trying to sway or derail the OP's quest.

@Nik H I know your a big cook - do you have any preferences?

I have a hunch you're a Wolf guy...
I use a Wolf 36" 6 burner stove and have never looked back. The one I use is 10 years old. Works as well today as it did when new.

Can't vouch for today's versions with all of the electronics. Mine is simple. Calibrate every so often and it's on the money.

EDIT

I have also used DACOR in a past house which was also pretty nice. My MIL has a new 60" Thermador which is amazing

The only thing not to forget is pans typically are more important than the stove....hint.

We had a Thermador range in our last house and hope to have one in the next. Best heat control I've used... had GE Monogram before and found it to be just ok.

Reactions: Nik H
Just to update, ours is a Frigidaire 36 inch 5 burner. Our model has been discontinued,,but we have had non issues with it over the last 7 or so years since I installed it.

Like @Nik H said, pans are important as well. We are using mostly GreenPan with some old cast iron mixed in. They are not top of the line, but not the lowest set on the market either.

I really like gas cooking and probably won’t ever go away from it for a cooktop if I have a choice in the matter. As for ovens, we are just running a double set tucked in the corner of the kitchen. They are ancient and I have briefly looked into what I will replace them with when the time comes. The only thing I know for a fact is they will definitely still have the convection option.

Reactions: kthomas and Nik H
Been frying bacon, taters, and chicken-fried's on a honker DCS for 20 years without missing a beat.

One thing to strongly consider before taking the plunge into a high-end cooktop/stove is parts availability. All manufacturers tell you how durable and long-lasting their products are but when the warranty expires, repair costs are brutal so you learn to repair them yourself; provided parts are available to you. Some manufacturers discontinue products and will not support them past a given time.

Do your research to say the least

Reactions: FWoo45 and kthomas
I have a Bluestar drop in.

Made in USA but along with that comes the typical “Come on guys, couldn’t you have got this right” stuff.

It’s heavy duty in its manufacture and I can take the whole thing apart to pm it.

Setting flame height is easy peasy.

The drop in is the very low end of the line.

I restricted myself to size of hole in the granite from the Fisher and Paykal it replaced.

Had I known the relative ease granite is modified I would have went up one grade of cook top that has the pull out cleaning trays and I think had a griddle.

Might be more than your budget and you have to deal with the sorry fact Made in America comes with the chance you get awesomeness or a lack in detail that says you guys should know better.

image.jpg

I have a Bosch. It’s meh at best. If (when) I do it again- I would think about the Blue Star noted above. Think it is open burner though. Don’t know if that matters to you or not.

Open burner is tough with kids that don’t understand shit does boil over.

Thing is all the cast parts are easily cleaned and the top tray is held on by wing nuts. Every once in a while I remove the top fascia and clean the dog shit out of the insides.

Just checked out their sight and I don’t even see my model any more.

What I would get today is called a “range top”.

It’s 48” vs 36”.

One thing to strongly consider before taking the plunge into a high-end cooktop/stove is parts availability. All manufacturers tell you how durable and long-lasting their products are but when the warranty expires, repair costs are brutal so you learn to repair them yourself; provided parts are available to you. Some manufacturers discontinue products and will not support them past a given time.

When I asked the sales rep about this, he said if that was the top priority, he would recommend Wolf. He stated that they have top quality products, and the service and support to back them if something goes wrong.

Just to update, ours is a Frigidaire 36 inch 5 burner. Our model has been discontinued,,but we have had non issues with it over the last 7 or so years since I installed it.

Like @Nik H said, pans are important as well. We are using mostly GreenPan with some old cast iron mixed in. They are not top of the line, but not the lowest set on the market either.

I really like gas cooking and probably won’t ever go away from it for a cooktop if I have a choice in the matter. As for ovens, we are just running a double set tucked in the corner of the kitchen. They are ancient and I have briefly looked into what I will replace them with when the time comes. The only thing I know for a fact is they will definitely still have the convection option.

We're all spooled up with All-Clad pots and pans in my kitchen, so I think we are set.

It's been hard to get good unbiased opinions on gas cooktops, at least in my experience.

All the online reviews are essentially just ads for all the major brands - it's as if I'm watching an Ultimate Reloader review. I come out with no new information that I could've gleaned from a sales brochure.

That's what's kind of driving me nuts about this search for a new cooktop. Besides BTU specs and burner configurations, it's hard to really determine what separates some brands and models from others.

Reactions: Rover31
We're all spooled up with All-Clad pots and pans in my kitchen, so I think we are set.
I get Christmas cards from All-Clad and Le Creuset...LOL. Love their stuff. Last year they sent me a set of All-Clad dry measuring cups for a present at Christmas

I also have tinned copper for specific sauces and cast iron from my Dad's restaurant that have to be 40 years old. I have some big ass cast iron skillets that I wouldn't trade for an AI

I get Christmas cards from All-Clad and Le Creuset...LOL. Love their stuff. Last year they sent me a set of All-Clad dry measuring cups for a present at Christmas

I also have tinned copper for specific sauces and cast iron from my Dad's restaurant that have to be 40 years old. I have some big ass cast iron skillets that I wouldn't trade for an AI

A good cast iron is worth its weight in gold! I have a collection of those as well.

I love cooking. I don't have skills like yours in the kitchen, but value good quality equipment to cook with.

The only La Creuset I have is a dutch oven, but I love it. It's obvious quality. Love making a risotto or French onion soup with it.

You must spend a lot of money with All-Clad if they are giving you gifts 🤣 I love it. They make great stuff.

A good cast iron is worth its weight in gold! I have a collection of those as well.

I love cooking. I don't have skills like yours in the kitchen, but value good quality equipment to cook with.

The only La Creuset I have is a dutch oven, but I love it. It's obvious quality. Love making a risotto or French onion soup with it.

You must spend a lot of money with All-Clad if they are giving you gifts 🤣 I love it. They make great stuff.
I’ve learned to love carbon steel fry pans.

Less weight than cast and just as easy to clean.

Not as good for heat retaining simmer style cooking though.

As I said, I prioritize pans over everything else in the kitchen. Anyone can cook on almost any stove given the right pans.

I have spent about as much on pans as the stove cost. My Dad was an early adopter of All-Clad. He started using them when they came out and I continued the tradition which is why I get the occasional present.

As I said, I prioritize pans over everything else in the kitchen. Anyone can cook on almost any stove given the right pans.

I have spent about as much on pans as the stove cost. My Dad was an early adopter of All-Clad. He started using them when they came out and I continued the tradition which is why I get the occasional present.

We have a Jade 48” double oven and it’s been great. The flat top between the burners is used almost every day. I would highly the flat top if possible but they may not have them on the smaller ranges.

We found a used 3 year old Viking cooktop this year. It came with an in counter, popup range hood that I didn't want, but I got it all for $500. Works great, American made, it seems like parts will be available and mamma's happy. Replaced an electric unit that was ok but nothing to write home about either.

1000009562.jpg

Made a little extra to experiment with on the charcoal grill. Most of the dressing is being made the "traditional" way in the oven.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Right now I'm in between the GE Cafe or the Wolf.

The GE is about ~$1k cheaper. The Wolf seems really nice, I love their dual burner system. I've heard their valves have a tendency to "walk" however. And I'm unsure if I can justify to myself the price difference, given that I'm not currently working (thank God the wife is).

People seem to speak well of GE's cooktops, especially in the Cafe and Monogram lines.