• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas gun at 1000 yards?

Leam

Always Learning
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2020
TX
domiciwar.net
I'm not yet skilled enough to hit anything smaller than the broad side of a very large barn at 1,000 yards. However, the plan is to build skills in spring and summer, and get a rifle that can do .308 at 1,000 yards. Trigger monkey inadequacies aside, can a gas gun like an AR-10 do that?

The issue is that I'm a lefty, and trying to find options is pretty difficult on this side of the bolt. We're looking to shoot in the Guardian GTI Team match in Nov 2021, and at least one of us has to shoot 223/308. For logistics, both of us shooting 308 makes sense. I don't have the $$ for a custom rifle, but I should be able to put together a working AR with a decent barrel and trigger.

Thoughts?

1000 is doable but because of .308 limitations, you may not be able to count on tight groups.
you don't have to spend this kind of money either...

Reactions: Leam
I was told the furthest last year was 800 yards or so, more than doable.

I would hold off on a gas gun right now as prices are insane, unless you can find a good deal on something used. A entry level .308 bolt gun might be a better option

I was told the furthest last year was 800 yards or so, more than doable.

I would hold off on a gas gun right now as prices are insane, unless you can find a good deal on something used. A entry level .308 bolt gun might be a better option
i think that is pretty commonly accepted as the "effective range" of 7.62/.308 because most good rifles can keep groups together out that far.
because they go subsonic beyond that, ballistics becomes less reliable, but you can still get hits.

i think that is pretty commonly accepted as the "effective range" of 7.62/.308 because most good rifles can keep groups together out that far.
because they go subsonic beyond that, ballistics becomes less reliable, but you can still get hits.
Sorry, I was talking about Guardian GTI. The furthest engagement was 800 yards. But yes you are correct.

Reactions: Leam and theLBC
Gas gun at 1000 yards = Yes.

I've tied for first twice at a local belly match 200-900 yds with a .308 AR-10 against longer-range calibers and bolt guns. I suck at reading wind though so if it's windy i'm well down the list.

Gas gun at 1000 yards = Yes.

I've tied for first twice at a local belly match 200-900 yds with a .308 AR-10 against longer-range calibers and bolt guns. I suck at reading wind though so if it's windy i'm well down the list.

Thanks! The Tikka T3X Compact Tactical and others look very nice, but long term parts supply and customization favors the AR platform.

Okay, I'll show that I'm new. Links?

Nothing wrong with not knowing. Just Google gas system on a 6.5cm and start perusing 😁.. lots of issues for people who don't.

To get 6.5cm running right in a gas gun, I would run +2" gas system if your barrel length will be 20-24". If your running a 26" you might be able to get away with just a rifle length.

6.5cm operates at a much higher pressure down the bore than 5.56 was designed for and to prevent a slew of malfunctions/pita issues it's just easier to run a longer gas system so that the port pressure is lower on the bcg.

The small firing pin again will help with the increased pressure on the bolt face that usually can give issues with cases if it's a standard firing pin channel diameter.

I'm not yet skilled enough to hit anything smaller than the broad side of a very large barn at 1,000 yards. However, the plan is to build skills in spring and summer, and get a rifle that can do .308 at 1,000 yards. Trigger monkey inadequacies aside, can a gas gun like an AR-10 do that?

The issue is that I'm a lefty, and trying to find options is pretty difficult on this side of the bolt. We're looking to shoot in the Guardian GTI Team match in Nov 2021, and at least one of us has to shoot 223/308. For logistics, both of us shooting 308 makes sense. I don't have the $$ for a custom rifle, but I should be able to put together a working AR with a decent barrel and trigger.

Thoughts?
The right one will do it all day. I have no trouble with a .308 gas gun at 1,000. Just get one with enough barrel to keep the velocity up. I have one with 18" barrel and I wouldn't want it any shorter for that distance.

I'm also a lefty. As far as bolt guns go, there are some good ones for leftys out there for that distance and beyond. If you are relatively new to this, you will find a bolt gun easier to get consistent with. Long distance ARs can be tricky for a newcomer.

Yes. Gas gun at 1000y is very doable. I built mine in .308 and shoot 175 SMK and it’s very doable. Like someone said above, you may wanna hold off for a bit as prices are crazy high right now, but you also wanna but quality as well. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks! The Tikka T3X Compact Tactical and others look very nice, but long term parts supply and customization favors the AR platform.
Sako has manufactured over one million Tikka T3 and T3x rifles so far, so I doubt that part supply will become a problem in the short or long term. There's also a very good selection of different chassis options & accessories available for Tikka rifles.

For your intended use T3x TACT A1, T3x Sporter and T3x Varmint Stainless would be good options and are available in .308 Win and left handed actions, so it might be a good idea to have a look at these.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sako has manufactured over one million Tikka T3 and T3x rifles so far, so I doubt that part supply will become a problem in the short or long term. There's also a very good selection of different chassis options & accessories available for Tikka rifles.

For your intended use T3x TACT A1, T3x Sporter and T3x Varmint Stainless would be good options and are available in .308 Win and left handed actions, so it might be a good idea to have a look at these.

Hope this helps and good luck!

This whole thread is about gas guns and your recommending a bolt gun?

This whole thread is about gas guns and your recommending a bolt gun?

My apologies for the confusion; the original question was a bit long: "Can a .308 gas gun hit GTI Guardian targets at 1,000 yards, or do I need to stick with trying to find a lefty bolt gun?"

Collective wisdom says the gas gun can do it, whether or not *I* can. Gas gun might be pricier, though, and more rare. We started talking about Tikka because they have a lefty option and a great reputation. If anyone from Tikka wants to sponsor me, I'll sing your praises!

• Haha
Reactions: theLBC
I hope a gas gun can make 1000 yards with decent groups.
I still have some scores to make @ 600 in 2021 then it's on to 1000.
My closest few ranges have E targets and my loads should trigger them at about 1300 to 1350fps.

Stag makes a left-handed AR-10.

As others have said, 1000 yards is very achievable with a semiauto, though you have to have very good marksmanship fundamentals (recoil management, follow through, etc.) because all the additional moving parts complicate the recoil impulse. If you can keep the bullets supersonic out to 1000, which is just barely doable at sea level with some of the higher BC .30 cal bullets, .308 isn't too bad if the wind isn't switchy.

If you want hard mode, try the JP Challenge at 1000 yards - three shots downrange before you hear the first one ring the target.

Shush! I love the look of the M14. My budget doesn't, but I do...
7B7757ED-B6A5-4677-9A23-2448741212ED.jpeg

Second from the back
NM build with kreiger barrel.