• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas Guns.....

John.Warren4

From the tall grass
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2012
Oregon
www.instagram.com
SH,

What is missing in the Gas Gun market? What would you like to see? This is meant to be a general discussion on how to improve the Gas Gun for competition.

• Love
Reactions: Bob C
Honestly just parts now, ive got a 224 upper that I ordered in april thats still not in my hands. Otherwise I think we have everything needed to shoot well and reliably. There are high quality parts, very accurate barrels, triggers galore, and we can tune the gas levels to our ammo of choice. Otherwise in a dream world outside comps, Id like seekins to build a 300wm AR, ive got their nx15 and a .308 sp10 and have been scoping the falkor 300wm as ive got a custom build knocking off their 6.5 creedmoor rifle that i enjoy

Reactions: John.Warren4
I'd like to see more gas systems designed for suppressed shooters.

More 16" rifle gas options for large frame 308s with gas ports sized appropriately for cans.

For small frames, I'd like to see a factory 22 ARC / grendel / PPC improved.

Much better case than the 6.8 to base a high zoot 22 cal off of IMO.

I'd also like too see more arca rail handguards.

Honestly just parts now, ive got a 224 upper that I ordered in april thats still not in my hands. Otherwise I think we have everything needed to shoot well and reliably. There are high quality parts, very accurate barrels, triggers galore, and we can tune the gas levels to our ammo of choice. Otherwise in a dream world outside comps, Id like seekins to build a 300wm AR, ive got their nx15 and a .308 sp10 and have been scoping the falkor 300wm as ive got a custom build knocking off their 6.5 creedmoor rifle that i enjoy
What do you think Seekins is doing to get their rifles to shoot better than others?

I want a larger, large platform AR like the Nemo Omen that's produced by a major manufacturer in magnum chamberings. By that I mean any manufacturer that sells enough volume to garner aftermarket support.

Kind of like what happened with the LR308.

I'd like to see more options for lefties, but I understand the situation.

I would second the "more gas gun with suppressor": designs, innovations, and equipment.
I always want more lefty friendly options; do you mean more true lefthanded uppers/lowers, or something else entirely? Other than gas in my face from right side ejection, I feel like ARs are very friendly to left-handed shooters.

I always want more lefty friendly options; do you mean more true lefthanded uppers/lowers, or something else entirely? Other than gas in my face from right side ejection, I feel like ARs are very friendly to left-handed shooters.
Yeah, true left hand eject. I have 2 lefty AR's. Ones a side charger and ones a CLE. I haven't been able to find a lefty 9mm upper/lower set though, and it would be nice to have some options there for ar in general. There isn't much out there for South paws and there's actually a lot more than you might think who shoot lefty for one reason or another

Reactions: Jonny_
Yeah, true left hand eject. I have 2 lefty AR's. Ones a side charger and ones a CLE. I haven't been able to find a lefty 9mm upper/lower set though, and it would be nice to have some options there for ar in general. There isn't much out there for South paws and there's actually a lot more than you might think who shoot lefty for one reason or another
Yeah, I definitely agree. It would be great to have more options.

More non-reciprocating side charging/duel charging large frame AR/LR upper receiver options

Large magnum calibers .338 and up

More parts standardization in the large frame AR/LR platforms.

Retraction of all those idiotic importation laws so there is more variety of European and Eastern Block rifles. Which hopefully would create an aftermarket parts industry to bring those rifles up to competition standards.

I'd like to see a mash up of the LMT MWS / MRP and JP LRP-07 bringing modularity, ruggedness and precision together. I think the industry has precise gas guns but not many shooters that can drive them consistently, from this the gas gun gets put aside for bolt guns and the gas guns then become "not accurate". With that being said, I feel its important to focus on features.

Maybe its impossible, I'm no engineer or scientist and I get that tons of testing goes into a new platform, but I think this would be one of a kind and isn't currently represented in the industry, that I know of:

A semi-auto that features:
  • One Piece monolithic upper
  • Quick change barrel feature (example: LMT MWS)
  • Free float handguard design
  • Multiple handguard lengths and styles offered (mlok, 1913, PRS specific?, Slim lighter weight option)
  • Multiple factory barrel calibers and length options (5.56, 243, 6mm, 6.5, .308, chrome, stainless, carbon fiber)
  • Ability to go from 5.56 to .308 in the same platform
    • Maybe the same carrier can be used with a modified bolt ??
    • For mags maybe some type of mag adapter can be made ?? (example: AI AXMC - seems to work well there :) )
  • Reliably run suppressed without voiding the warranty
  • Adjustable gas block on factory barrels
  • A more refined less Military feel/design that still offers ruggedness (example: blending the machining and detail work in a NEMO upper, with JP precision and LMT ruggedness
  • Ability to accept drop in triggers like Geissele, Timney, etc.

*** High level vision/summary: I think the ability to shoot semi-auto 6mm reliably/precisely say through a 6mm creedmoor stainless barrel in comps then swap out to a 223 "trainer" config with the same platform by only swapping a barrel/bolt face/buffer spring would be amazing. Like I said I'm no engineer or scientist but I'd gladly help test this platform. :D

I mean ammo is pretty ironed out as well, wouldn't you say?
I always need more ammo. Always…

Quality gas guns already exist that are reliable and accurate. People build shit box 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 308 and 6.5 creedmoor guns now that shoot under moa, run dirty, and don’t self destruct for less than $2k. Another poster mentioned larger gas guns to shoot 300 & 338 magnums. Those will mature when the mil puts out a solicitation and a LMT, KAC, FN, HK class company puts the actual research and development into it. Even then, it’ll take years for that to bleed down to the civilian market. The small frame guns are plug and play. Want to improve them? Well, it won’t technically be a small frame any more because you’re gonna need a bigger bolt, think CMMG mutant.
Just my opinions..

Reactions: deersniper
something like the BRN-180 but in 308.

also, a quality AR-308 quad rail, uninterrupted, in DPMS-high.

6.5 PRC in ar10s with carbon wrapped barrels, adjustable gas blocks, good feeding magazines

I’d like to see a receiver set along the lines of the Defiance XM length actions, but in between a 5.56 and 7.62 sized receiver. It’d be purpose built to run a medium sized 6mm cartridge but without the size restriction of a 5.56 mag. I’m thinking a 6mm ARC on steroids with purpose built, reliable magazines. Of course this is unlikely to happen because a company would have to design the rifle, magazine, and ammunition for a small gain in performance over what we already have…but if they did, it would be the porridge that is just right. I personally believe firearms technology is nearly maxed out for traditional brass cased ammunition. I’ll be running AR-15’s until a new form of ammunition becomes popular.

And in regards to purpose built suppressed weapons I think the answer is in the suppressor, not the weapon itself. I’ve been running a Sig SLX for a few weeks now and it’s truly an impressive suppressor!

Ya, AR 20 so all the ar15 cartridges can be loaded long.

Be able to get more powder behind longer seated caliber heavies.

Allready had mini 14 so would be redundent. They want new with a reasonable performance gain expectation.

Ar 25 billet with bcg surfaces and reciver bore cut to ar 15 sizes. Mag well left long

Aka " AR 20" big magazine

I'd like to see a mash up of the LMT MWS / MRP and JP LRP-07 bringing modularity, ruggedness and precision together. I think the industry has precise gas guns but not many shooters that can drive them consistently, from this the gas gun gets put aside for bolt guns and the gas guns then become "not accurate". With that being said, I feel its important to focus on features.

Maybe its impossible, I'm no engineer or scientist and I get that tons of testing goes into a new platform, but I think this would be one of a kind and isn't currently represented in the industry, that I know of:

A semi-auto that features:
  • One Piece monolithic upper
  • Quick change barrel feature (example: LMT MWS)
  • Free float handguard design
  • Multiple handguard lengths and styles offered (mlok, 1913, PRS specific?, Slim lighter weight option)
  • Multiple factory barrel calibers and length options (5.56, 243, 6mm, 6.5, .308, chrome, stainless, carbon fiber)
  • Ability to go from 5.56 to .308 in the same platform
    • Maybe the same carrier can be used with a modified bolt ??
    • For mags maybe some type of mag adapter can be made ?? (example: AI AXMC - seems to work well there :) )
  • Reliably run suppressed without voiding the warranty
  • Adjustable gas block on factory barrels
  • A more refined less Military feel/design that still offers ruggedness (example: blending the machining and detail work in a NEMO upper, with JP precision and LMT ruggedness
  • Ability to accept drop in triggers like Geissele, Timney, etc.

*** High level vision/summary: I think the ability to shoot semi-auto 6mm reliably/precisely say through a 6mm creedmoor stainless barrel in comps then swap out to a 223 "trainer" config with the same platform by only swapping a barrel/bolt face/buffer spring would be amazing. Like I said I'm no engineer or scientist but I'd gladly help test this platform. :D

You have one of each of those so just duct tape them altogether.....science....duh

• Haha
Reactions: reubenski
Hi,

Are we speaking "what is missing" in regards to improving existing gas guns (AR systems) or are we talking about new improved gas gun designs?

Sincerely,
Theis

I would rather see someone actually innovate and push the design vs. making a small modification. Do I smell a hoplite semi in the works? 😁😁😁

223 mags that can do 2.5" coal would be nice

either single stack vld style

or a lower that doesn't have the slot in the back that could take stanag or proprietary squared off style mags. bolt catch would have to be redesigned

olympic arms has something like this at some point.

I would rather see someone actually innovate and push the design vs. making a small modification. Do I smell a hoplite semi in the works? 😁😁😁

Hi,

I actually want to blend gas guns with modern chassis bolt action rifles. Get rid of the upper and lower split receiver type gas guns.
Think modern monolithic type receiver PSG1 sitting in modern chassis systems :).

Sincerely,
Theis

How does Barret make the big 50 semis?
Always wanted one of those as well...

Reactions: rpoL98
Wish LMT sold barrel extensions. I would get a custom barrels with adjustable gas blocks.

I'd like to see more conversion kits utilizing lightweight BCG's, titanium carriers with better coatings (Rubber City Armory proprietary coatings) so subsonic suppressed cycling with 300 blackout is not an issue and cleanup is easier. And make it work with more handguards. I like the SA conversion kit but the carrier is HEAVY. Machine that b*tch out of titanium and let RCA coat it. Get er done.

I'd like to see more conversion kits utilizing lightweight BCG's, titanium carriers with better coatings (Rubber City Armory proprietary coatings) so subsonic suppressed cycling with 300 blackout is not an issue and cleanup is easier. And make it work with more handguards. I like the SA conversion kit but the carrier is HEAVY. Machine that b*tch out of titanium and let RCA coat it. Get er done.

Hi,

What am I missing here? So their "coating" as you call it is Nitriding??

Titanium actually sucks in regards to firearm parts and components

Edited To Add:
Because I figured that RCA was not doing this process themselves, lol..Here is where they get it done at.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
Wish LMT sold barrel extensions. I would get a custom barrels with adjustable gas blocks.

You would do a better job of attaching it to the barrel than what they did on mine...........

AR-12.5
2.5" COAL magazines
Bolt pattern set from the get-go to handle up to .473" dia. case heads. Magazine well set to take polymer .473 case head width double stack magazines... However for that system, I'd really like to see a Grendel body (.445" head) stretched longer with a 30 degree shoulder to shoot 125-135gr .257 cal bullets at that 2.50" C.O.A.L. Maybe 2650-2800fps. Uppers with stout barrel interfacing.

Guys could also run Dashers, BR's, etc... And could likely fit the stuff that's "Big" for the AR-15 without issue. Grendel, ARC, Valkyrie, etc.. At full 60-65ksi power.

For AR-15's I'd be down for stainless steel uppers with barrel interfaces similar in rigidity to bolt-guns.

Reactions: LRBuck
FYI…

FD338​

The World’s Finest .338 Lapua Magnum AR

Anyone have any experience with these?

Hi,

Sure do :)

First they were nowhere near the first semi auto 338 as they claim. RND Edge introduced the semi auto 338LM in 2000.

Second..F&D is pretty much only known for their constant legal battles:

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: buggz
Gibbz Arms has an excellent left AR9.

Like others have said, a medium sized receiver set optimized to run 6mm type cartridges at full pressure with as much AR-15 parts interchangeability as possible.

I would like to see Drake actually release the Athena heavy in 6.5CM to see if there's any competition to Seekins. Then I'd like to see somebody say the juice is worth the squeeze.