• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas tube .116" short... ok?

Cory Lee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2008
DFW
Found a good deal on an upper. Its blemished because the gas tube was cut .116" short. Its got a free float tube on it and says that a 2 piece cannot be put on it. Its a 5.56 upper.

I just want to make sure its still going to function before I buy it.

Any input?

Re: Gas tube .116" short... ok?

Is there some reason you couldn't remove the FF tube, and replace the gas tube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cory Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found a good deal on an upper. Its blemished because the gas tube was cut .116" short. Its got a free float tube on it and says that a 2 piece cannot be put on it. Its a 5.56 upper.

I just want to make sure its still going to function before I buy it.

Any input? </div></div>

I guess it all depends on what a "good deal" means to you and what you want to do with it in the end. To me, with reservations like "blemished," "gas tube cut .116" short," and further limitations on what can/can't be done with it for undisclosed reasons...it would be something that I'd pass on and not think twice. With issues like that who knows what the hell else might be wrong with it. Is this upper from a retailer/mfg with any sort of backing or is this a private sale of a basement parts build?

Again...call me cautious or whatever...but I'd pass and find something else.

Ya its a JSE surplus upper. And I didn't think about it but if theres a problem I'll just replace the tube.

Thanks for the replies.

Thought about it a little more. It makes more sense if the hole was drilled .116" short. Anybody know what kind of problems it might cause?

I have one, like I said they work fine. It's not a bravocompany but it goes bang and is reasonably accurate.

10 shots, 100 yards off folding table. Bipod + my fist under pistol grip using handloads:

target.jpg

Dot is 1" in diameter. Top right was very first shot of the day, bottom left is where it throws the last round from the mag.