• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas tube cleaning??

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    Is there a proper way to clean the gas tube on an AR? It seems that my ar is short stroking and not extracting the spent round.

Thanks for any advice given.

Kinnamon

Re: Gas tube cleaning??

What would cause my ar to short stroke and not fully operate? I've used pipe cleaners before and never had a problem. Why wouldn't you want to attempt to keep it clean... I served 6 years in the military (4 years as a grunt and 2 years as a sniper) and we kept our weapons cleaned to the upmost to insure reliability.

Any other opinions?

Thanks

First things I would look at are:
    -check that the gas key on top of the bolt carrier is tight

-check that the gas block is positioned over the gas hole in barrel. (more of a guessing thing than a real way to check)

-Gas rings on bolt

-Also try loading one round and remove the magazine and fire. See if it extracts. mag lips may be touching bolt carrier.

Gas tubes don't really need to be cleaned due to the pressure that goes to them. IT will blow anything out. I would be more concerned with extra lube being left in the gas tube turning to some deposit when fired.

if it has a collapsible stock make sure there is no rifle buffer installed

To check to see if its a short stoke vs a failed extraction. Load one round with magazine, fire, if bolt locks to the rear it would sound more like a bad extractor/extractor spring vs a gas problem.

Thanks! Those are the comments I like to hear. It very well could be the mags (GI issue).

Much appreciated.

Kinnamon

I had a brand new bushy that would not extract at 100%. A quick easy fix was to run to the hardware store and get a small rubber o ring that just fits around the spring under the rear of the extractor putting it in extra tension. Evidently the spring was too weak because after this mod...100% extraction

it cost 12 cents and a trip to the hardware store. Try that first.

"Gas tubes don't really need to be cleaned due to the pressure that goes to them. IT will blow anything out. I would be more concerned with extra lube being left in the gas tube turning to some deposit when fired."

Lets say this is the problem.... How would you go about to fix it?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Kinnamon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Gas tubes don't really need to be cleaned due to the pressure that goes to them. IT will blow anything out. I would be more concerned with extra lube being left in the gas tube turning to some deposit when fired."

Lets say this is the problem.... How would you go about to fix it?

Thanks again for all your advice.

Kinnamon </div></div>

They sell some Gas Tube cleaners at Lauer Custom Weaponry.
    I keep everything clean on my gun and that includes the gas tube every so often to reasure that nothing will go wrong when I need it.

Gas tube don't plug up, they wear out. Even if they did plug up, the repair process is the same.

The gas tube's rear tip has to match up fairly snug with the matching tubular extension on the bolt carrier. The end of the aluminum gas tube wears, the seal becomes too loose, and she short strokes. Replace the gas tube and buy a spare to keep onhand for when the new one goes too.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gas tube don't plug up, they wear out. Even if they did plug up, the repair process is the same.

The gas tube's rear tip has to match up fairly snug with the matching tubular extension on the bolt carrier. The end of the aluminum gas tube wears, the seal becomes too loose, and she short strokes. Replace the gas tube and buy a spare to keep onhand for when the new one goes too.

Greg </div></div>

This, dont try to clean it. Just replace it.

This is a question thoug, what buffer are you running and what ammo?

Wolf wont run in my rifle due to a heavy buffer and extra power buiffer spring, wolf is too underpowered to ovecome all the pressures. But the heavy buffer and heavy spring is nice when running suppressed.

AR gas tubes are self cleaning. Maybe a VERY infrequent cleaning with a gas tube pipe cleaning rod that DPMS sells with some Kroil. Check your gas key make sure it is properly staked. The gas tube is not likely to be the problem. Need more info.

You'll need to monitor that O ring as it will degrade with heat. A defender D ring would be a better item, but they do cost a $4 or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a proper way to clean the gas tube on an AR? It seems that my ar is short stroking and not extracting the spent round.

Thanks for any advice given.

Kinnamon </div></div>

Exractor spring and maybe extractor would be my 1st guess.Its not extracting out of the chamber right??.It fires and slips off the rim?
    Or is it making it out of the chamber but Not the rifle?(ejector spring and maybe ejector??).
    How are your gasrings on your bolt and buffer spring?

Ive fired a few thousand rounds and the one time I checked my gas tube it was prestine..

I just replaced a bad extractor spring(and extractor just in case) and fixed my cycling issues.Out of a few thousand rounds this has been my only hangup besides my barrel coming loose causing(I believe) my gasrings to $hit the bed.
    smile.gif