• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas tube finish?

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
So the only mid length gas tube I could find to buy was one in stainless steel that has a pretty shiny/polished finish. I have a Seekins MCSR rail that is pretty well vented and a bead-blasted stainless barrel. My question is, so that I don't have such an obviously shiny tube, could I paint the gas tube with a high temp paint (like for BBQ grills) or does the tube get too hot and would cause the paint to catch fire? If painting isn't an option, any other suggestions? Thanks all.

Every AR/M series gas tube I have ever seen has been stainless/bright stainless. I have never seen one otherwise and that includes 8 years of service. You could try to dull down the finish with a scotch pad or maybe some emery cloth - 600 should take the shine off. I never tried painting one. I just don't really notice it and I have JP handguards on one too. The only reason I mention it, is the tube isn't really too noticable to me even though it is stainless and the JP holes are pretty big.

I've got a black gas tube on my LMT MWS and a DPMS barrel I bought last summer came with a black gas tube, so they are out there. Unfortunately, I don't know what process was used for them to have a black finish...sorry OP.

I would tape off both ends and bead blast the section that is visible so it would match the barrel. I do have my own blast cabinet.

I have Cerakoted some just to see what the effects would be, and there are none of note other than you can coat the tube however you want, with whatever color you want, and it will not melt or peel away when using Cerakote.

Cerakote is a good option, thanks.
JFK, you in the OKC area and offering use of your blaster?