• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas vs diesel

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Hey all, I’m in the market for a new truck. I currently daily an f150 and my work truck is a 6.7 powerstroke f350 dually, with a service body.

I recently bought a 7x14 dump trailer. It’s got a gvw of 12,000 lbs. I’ve already had a few loads of stone and clean fill from some footers I just dug. I also co-own a 3.5 ton mini excavator I haul in the trailer when I need to.

So my issue is this… when I use the service body dually I have a tendency to get pulled over and weighed. It’s happened 4 times so far, it’s not so much the fact I get pulled over it’s the fact I’m on the side of the road for an hour and a half to two hours, while a trooper crawls all over my shit looking for things he can give me a ticket for.

The F150 doesn’t have the balls to haul 12k and I wouldn’t even attempt it.

So I’m looking into 3/4 ton and 1 ton single rear wheel trucks. I don't really want another diesel, but I’m not sure the gas trucks in my budget ($30k) have what it takes to tow a trailer of that weight semi frequently. The last thing I want to do is move into a truck that still can’t accomplish the task I need it to do.

Anybody tow heavy with a 2012-2016 3/4 ton gasser? Should I just suck it up and buy another diesel?

Run all of your "weight numbers' and decide on the GVWR before you make the choice of gas or diesel.
I would guess the GVWR is going to push you towards a diesel.
If that trooper is checking you that close, for sure, he will be running the GVWR numbers.
So, with the max load, what is the GVWR ?

Last edited:
Reactions: shoobe01
Tow heavy or haul heavy and gasser should not be in the same sentence. But modern diesels put you in the poor house when (not if) the emission crap fails.

Keep your F150 and buy a pre 2007 dump truck with a DT466E and 5 speed, close ratio Allison. (You can have the 6th gear unlocked, which will lower noise and fuel burn over 55mph).

A trailer loaded over 10k requires a commercial license. If you have a CDL then you can go over 26k GVWR with the truck. Otherwise, get a single axle with GVWR under 26k, which has 5-6 ton useful load.

I bought a nice International 4200 with Ox Dump Body for $16k a few months ago. No regrets. That thing hauls ass without breaking a sweat. The mechanical systems are old school simple and the Servicemaxx software for ECM and TCM is free. The required CAN/J1708 adapter for your laptop is between 200 and 300 bucks.

Last edited:
What speeds are you driving? I tow 15k daily in touch and go 35mph traffic. Gas out weighs diesel in my scenario. 60 mph on the interstate would be a different story.

Dept of Transportation always targets rigs capable of hauling over 26k here in FL. I never get stopped with my 3/4 ton and trailer with 2-7k axles.

Reactions: IronSkillet
If it's for a business, get the diesel and if it needs repairs just use it for a tax write off. But for personal use, I would opt for the bigger gasser engines. The repair bills be significantly a lot less than that of a diesel. Personally, I just think the new 6.7 Fords are too fragile. Because I see their repair bills everyday and think to myself a Cummins or a Duramax wouldn't have those issues.

Reactions: Bender
I think your budget is going to be the limiting factor wrt wanting a gasser. Otherwise I would suggest the newer F250 with the 7.3 liter gasser. I love mine but it’s a budget buster for sure.

It's gonna be a while before used 7.3 gassers start getting within' your budget. Used diesel 1 tons are priced kinda stupid right now, but if you're haulin' heavy, diesel is what you want. I'm assuming they're harassing you because you look like you're engaged in commerce driving a 1 ton dually with a mini excavator on it. I don't know all the CDL rules and what not, was always concerned because I pull my camper with a 1 ton diesel truck, but single rear wheel. I always call the DOT cops road pirates, because it seems like they spend more time harassing people trying to earn a living rather than keeping the roads safe.

Branden

Tow heavy or haul heavy and gasser should not be in the same sentence. But modern diesels put you in the poor house when (not if) the emission crap fails.

Keep your F150 and buy a pre 2007 dump truck with a DT466E and 5 speed, close ratio Allison. (You can have the 6th gear unlocked, which will lower noise and fuel burn over 55mph).

A trailer loaded over 10k requires a commercial license. If you have a CDL then you can go over 26k GVWR with the truck. Otherwise, get a single axle with GVWR under 26k, which has 5-6 ton useful load.

I bought a nice International 4200 with Ox Dump Body for $16k a few months ago. No regrets. That thing hauls ass without breaking a sweat. The mechanical systems are old school simple and the Servicemaxx software for ECM and TCM is free. The required CAN/J1708 adapter for your laptop is between 200 and 300 bucks.
I register as a combo, so I’m at 26000lbs. That allows me to tow 12,000lbs with my f350 that is a 14,000lbs truck. No cdl needed but it costs me an extra $275/ year.

I put a $12,000 long block in my 6.7 powerstroke 2 or 3 years ago…. I could have bought 3 brand new gas motors for $12g’s

What speeds are you driving? I tow 15k daily in touch and go 35mph traffic. Gas out weighs diesel in my scenario. 60 mph on the interstate would be a different story.

Dept of Transportation always targets rigs capable of hauling over 26k here in FL. I never get stopped with my 3/4 ton and trailer with 2-7k axles.
Speeds vary, I’ll be a mix of highway, and backroads with it for the next 2 years. I do have a 1/3 mile driveway for my next addition that’s all up hill 😂

It's gonna be a while before used 7.3 gassers start getting within' your budget. Used diesel 1 tons are priced kinda stupid right now, but if you're haulin' heavy, diesel is what you want. I'm assuming they're harassing you because you look like you're engaged in commerce driving a 1 ton dually with a mini excavator on it. I don't know all the CDL rules and what not, was always concerned because I pull my camper with a 1 ton diesel truck, but single rear wheel. I always call the DOT cops road pirates, because it seems like they spend more time harassing people trying to earn a living rather than keeping the roads safe.

Branden

They go after those guys because most don't have the proper license to be driving them. They are also the people that usually don't tie down their loads and have the most safety violations. The company I work for is a great example, they have a horrible dot rating mainly because of the f550 trucks and trailers. We had one dumbass lose an asphalt roller off a gooseneck trailer because he was too lazy to chain it down.

Run all of your "weight numbers' and decide on the GVWR before you make the choice of gas or diesel.
If that trooper is checking you that close, for sure, he will be running the GVWR numbers.

In Pa you do a combo registration for anything over 10k trailer weight so I’d register at 26,000lbs

GVWR is based on the chassis. Because the gas is lighter, they usually have a higher gvwr.

The new tow test that's rated on actual acceleration and stopping tests may be different. I say maybe because my gassers have never not been able to pull, while my diesels have constant traction and torque management issues trying to accelerate hard on anything but the cleanest streets.

Cruising down the interstate and over mountain passes turbos are great.
Cruising around town and just need to move stuff but not at 80mph for hours on end, gas is way cheaper and less maintenance intensive.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Speeds vary, I’ll be a mix of highway, and backroads with it for the next 2 years. I do have a 1/3 mile driveway for my next addition that’s all up hill 😂

The new Godzilla trucks with a 4.30 rear end are killer. The 10 speed does a good job with having enough bottom end, but 2 overdrives for good highway rpm.

And no $15k fuel system on a $12k motor with $6k in emissions.

What really surprised me is I drove a 26' U-Haul f650 with 7.3 for a buddy a few hours away. It got 7mpg stuffed full and pushing a billboard at 70mph.

Ive got a 2022 F250 with the 7.3 and 10spd... Fantastic truck. I havent hauled anything real heavy just my 5k boat and 5k car hauler.

Towing with a 3/4-1 ton is so much nicer than with a 1/2 ton.

Hey all, I’m in the market for a new truck. I currently daily an f150 and my work truck is a 6.7 powerstroke f350 dually, with a service body.

I recently bought a 7x14 dump trailer. It’s got a gvw of 12,000 lbs. I’ve already had a few loads of stone and clean fill from some footers I just dug. I also co-own a 3.5 ton mini excavator I haul in the trailer when I need to.

So my issue is this… when I use the service body dually I have a tendency to get pulled over and weighed. It’s happened 4 times so far, it’s not so much the fact I get pulled over it’s the fact I’m on the side of the road for an hour and a half to two hours, while a trooper crawls all over my shit looking for things he can give me a ticket for.

The F150 doesn’t have the balls to haul 12k and I wouldn’t even attempt it.

So I’m looking into 3/4 ton and 1 ton single rear wheel trucks. I don't really want another diesel, but I’m not sure the gas trucks in my budget ($30k) have what it takes to tow a trailer of that weight semi frequently. The last thing I want to do is move into a truck that still can’t accomplish the task I need it to do.

Anybody tow heavy with a 2012-2016 3/4 ton gasser? Should I just suck it up and buy another diesel?
1FTBF2AAXPEC63183

I register as a combo, so I’m at 26000lbs. That allows me to tow 12,000lbs with my f350 that is a 14,000lbs truck. No cdl needed but it costs me an extra $275/ year.

I put a $12,000 long block in my 6.7 powerstroke 2 or 3 years ago…. I could have bought 3 brand new gas motors for $12g’s
Ford v10 or a Chevy 8.1 gasser pulls just fine. New diesels have so much tq and so much hp the black smoke boys are spoiled brats and ignore price of fuel, constantly in the shop for repairs and then cost even more when you figure down time. I’ve seen v10s and 8.1’s with 400k on them. You can buy a whole new gas motor for the price of injectors on a new diesel.

Eww, 6.8L
NOT Godzilla.

Ford v10 or a Chevy 8.1 gasser pulls just fine. New diesels have so much tq and so much hp the black smoke boys are spoiled brats and ignore price of fuel, constantly in the shop for repairs and then cost even more when you figure down time. I’ve seen v10s and 8.1’s with 400k on them. You can buy a whole new gas motor for the price of injectors on a new diesel.
Never seen a Ford V10 that didn't spit a sparkplug or 2 thru the hood.....or at least dent the hood real nice like.

Buy an older F250, like 70s old if you can find one.
Swap in a Godzilla crate engine, they come with wiring, ECU, fuel system, everything in the box.
You can then even make it a rowboat shifter iff'n ya had a hankerin to do so.
That's the cheapest/best way, but you'll have to work for it.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
Eww, 6.8L
NOT Godzilla.

Never seen a Ford V10 that didn't spit a sparkplug or 2 thru the hood.....or at least dent the hood real nice like.

Swap in a Godzilla crate engine, they come with wiring, ECU, fuel system, everything in the box.
I deal with the 6.8s all the time from all over the US and Canada and blowing out a plug isn't that common compared to how many of them are out there. Have I seen my fair share of repair bills for them? Yep. But I would take that then deal with the alternative of having a 6.7 Powerstroke anyday of the week. 12-15K fuel system, 6-8K DPF replacements, 7-8K injectors and just about every single coolant line will leak at one point on those things. I think the only reason why Ford dominates in the 3/4-1.5 ton market is that they sell their fleet trucks cheap. Repair wise, they are by far the most expensive trucks to repair, it's not even close. I have seen guys with the new Ford 7.3 and GM 6.6 gassers rake up some serious mileage and idle time in the short 2-3 years they have been out and they barely ever have any major repair bills.

Eww, 6.8L
NOT Godzilla.

IMG_4261.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant
I drive the 1/2 ton 3.0L Duramax in a Silverado and love it! It gets awesome fuel economy and the premium over the 5.3 is only $1,000 if I remember correctly. When I do occasionally tow it performs better than the 5.3 would. Maintenance is minor compared to the 5.3. Fuel filter gets done every 30k miles and the oil and filters are pretty reasonable. Never had any issues with starting in the cold or fuel gelling and I live in eastern Nebraska so we see pretty low temps at times.

Bottom line, I recommend them to everyone who asks about it and I will be buying another one after this one.

I wouldn’t necessarily mind the v10, they seem difficult to find in a SRW truck. Guys that buy the V10 around me tend to run them pretty hard so finding a non fucked one used is pretty hard to do.

I drive the 1/2 ton 3.0L Duramax in a Silverado and love it! It gets awesome fuel economy and the premium over the 5.3 is only $1,000 if I remember correctly. When I do occasionally tow it performs better than the 5.3 would. Maintenance is minor compared to the 5.3. Fuel filter gets done every 30k miles and the oil and filters are pretty reasonable. Never had any issues with starting in the cold or fuel gelling and I live in eastern Nebraska so we see pretty low temps at times.

Bottom line, I recommend them to everyone who asks about it and I will be buying another one after this one.

Let me know how that works the first time it needs parts. I wouldn't own one out of warranty.

What is awesome fuel economy? My Dad's getting 20-22mpg out of his 19 5.3 with his commute. The diesel would need to be over 30mpg to break even on the fuel costs right now. It would need to be 40 to save enough to fix injectors and fuel pumps down the road.

Keep the 350.
Custom paint truck with colorful message to state police.
A new truck isn't likely to fix this problem. Sounds like maybe someone wants you out of business.
I was never wanting to get rid of the 350. I need that for work.

I’m getting rid of the 150 and I’m wanting a 250/350 to replace it so I can tow my 12k trailer without using my work truck. I was just wondering if a gasser would do or if I should just buy another diesel

I’m getting rid of the 150 and I’m wanting a 250/350 to replace it so I can tow my 12k trailer without using my work truck. I was just wondering if a gasser would do or if I should just buy another diesel
Gasser will do it, it will be slower to start and slower in the hills, but you will have less headache, lower fuel cost per gallon, less expensive to fix, less down time. Plus a hard working gas motor sounds amazing.

Reactions: Redmanss
I read that a 6.6 gm 2500 can get up to 16-17 mpg empty. If driven nice. That’s what I get in my 18 5.0 f150. I do drive it hard though.

Stay away from 7.3L gas… I work for Ford and it’s an engineering nightmare. The 6.0L well built with head studs will do you amazing justice. The 6.4L is a hell no and the 6.7 is too problematic with EPA regs having crippling emissions issues. And F250SD with a built or Ford reman 6.0L is hands down the way to go… Older truck but tons more reliable…

I deal with the 6.8s all the time from all over the US and Canada and blowing out a plug isn't that common compared to how many of them are out there. Have I seen my fair share of repair bills for them? Yep.

You havent seen a Ford 6.8 gasser yet... I can ALMOST guarantee that.

NOW you may have worked on the ford 6.2 gassers, but the 6.8 was just released and I dont know if there are more than a few thousand roaming around.

Eww, 6.8L
NOT Godzilla.

Basically is a Godzilla just with a smaller bore(might be shorter stroke, I cant remember which).

I still cant figure out why Ford decided to do that plus the 10R80 from the F150. Should have just standardized on the 7.3/10r140 as the gas motor combo.

I regularly tow 8k, 10k and 12k short distance (20-30 miles) with a ram 2500 gasser. It does fine. I think the key is how often you tow heavy. If I was transporting across the state or country every day I would want something made for that, like a 4500 or 5500.
For my uses, I have zero regrets after 120k miles.

Stay away from 7.3L gas… I work for Ford and it’s an engineering nightmare.
that is disappointing to hear. It was certainly marketed as a relatively simple engine without a lot of complex gadgetry (”easy” to work on). I guess time will tell

Branden

It's always ALL about ripping off the tax slaves to fund the government.
It's almost NEVER about anything other than simply a bandit with a badge and a gun robbing you on the side of the highway.
"Highway Patrol" "officers" should just be called what they are "highwaymen".

Reactions: gigamortis
So my issue is this… when I use the service body dually I have a tendency to get pulled over and weighed. It’s happened 4 times so far
Interesting you get pulled so often. I drive a commercial rig everyday, and have yet to be pulled and weighed just for shits and giggles

If you want something of recent vintage, then buy the biggest displacement gasser you can afford that has a decent track record.

This recommendation comes from someone who happily owns six diesel vehicles and one gasser. The gasser is a Japanese mini truck and they never offered a diesel in this class of vehicles. The remaining diesels were patiently 'collected' from the pool of pre-2007 legends. Cummins 5.9L in RV, 7.3L Powerstrokes in box van and box truck, Navistar DT466E in dump truck, and Mercedes OM648 I6 in a 320CDI.

After that golden age, diesel engines became too complicated, and failure prone in the wake of more stringent emission requirements. If you look at a modern Hino cabover for example, the SCR exhaust treatment systems is almost as big and complex as the base engine. This is not as obvious under the hood of a pickup but all that stuff is still there and needs big money to keep it running past the warranty. And good luck fixing these modern systems economically via DIY.

Last edited:
There is no "one size fit's all" truck... The years of the Cowboy Cadillac are long gone.
Get an old model that was built when "a truck was a truck". Go through it and make it a Pull Truck.
Just leave it hooked to the trailer all the time.
Ride around in a "Ride Around" pickup...... Crew cab and a 6' bed in half ton.
Continue the debate.

Interesting you get pulled so often. I drive a commercial rig everyday, and have yet to be pulled and weighed just for shits and giggles
I was going to make a similar comment. I have never been pulled over for weighing despite visibly ("Not for hire") flying under the 26k limit. I also bypass weigh stations unless I fall in the posted GVW range. Never been chased by the troopers.

My guess is that the OP either lives in an area where roadside robbery is a fad or he has "violation" written all over his rig. I am not saying that the OP is guilty of this but it is absolutely amazing what you see out there in terms of equipment neglect, shoddy loading, and iffy load securing. That's the low hanging fruit I would pick as a trooper.

Last edited:
or he has "violation" written all over his rig.
This was my first thought

I know a guy who hauls his mini ex around not tied down. He has been told many times it won’t be nice when he has an accident and loses that thing.

You havent seen a Ford 6.8 gasser yet... I can ALMOST guarantee that.

NOW you may have worked on the ford 6.2 gassers, but the 6.8 was just released and I dont know if there are more than a few thousand roaming around.
There are hundreds of thousands of 6.8 V10s around.

Stay away from 7.3L gas… I work for Ford and it’s an engineering nightmare. The 6.0L well built with head studs will do you amazing justice. The 6.4L is a hell no and the 6.7 is too problematic with EPA regs having crippling emissions issues. And F250SD with a built or Ford reman 6.0L is hands down the way to go… Older truck but tons more reliable…
Way back when I was a service advisor at Ford, I have always thought the 6.0 Powerstroke was among the worse of the Ford diesels. A shit ton of coolant problems, EGR problems and just in general every single bit of the emissions items on that engine was shit.

Diesel guy at heart. Have an 1150hp Cummins sitting in the driveway.
Because of the cost and complexity of the new diesels, I went gas this time. An f350 with Godzilla and 4.30 gears. With the 10 speed transmission it does great. (Not saying as good as Diesel, it's not) The engine has about same torque and almost 2x the HP of the old 6.0 diesels. The transmission (with 3 overdrives, not 2, direct drive is 7th gear) does wonders keeping you in the right powerband.
I have towed my 12k fifth wheel all over the western states and no issues keeping up on the steepest grades in highest elevations (Wyo, Colo, Mont). I average about 8 mpg towing. I get 10 mpg in the diesel on same routes, same trailer for comparison.
No issues with the engine so far. The only complaint is gas mileage. I get about 13 empty.

I read that a 6.6 gm 2500 can get up to 16-17 mpg empty. If driven nice. That’s what I get in my 18 5.0 f150. I do drive it hard though.

Ours are loaded with tools and have a company gas card. They get 14-15mpg. Right inline with my Duramax that's at 15mpg right now doing the same trip.
My old 5.4 f350 only got 8mpg doing that same trip.

We had one, kept it bone stock and took it to the Ford dealer. $40k for the brand new truck, we had $40k in maintenance bills in the folder when we junked it about 200k. We got more life and a quarter of the maintenance costs in the 5.4 f350s of the same era. Just got there a little slower, but I grossed 25900 in my 02 5.4 6 spd truck quite often. Just used 3rd gear on the highway and let her spin 5000rpm for hours.

Really?

Its basically an LS motor... pretty simple actually.

And the LS shares some design ideas with small block Fords....

But yes, the Godzilla is an LS with a better head basically. The extra head thickness and better bolt placement should ensure they never have head gasket failures.

Really?

Its basically an LS motor... pretty simple actually.
No it’s not pretty simple actually because the quality of parts and assembly of said engine SUCKS. This opinion of mine comes from a metric ton of failures I’ve had to deal with last year through now. Countless warranty claims and waiting on backordered parts as well as tools that Rotunda can’t even supply that are specific to servicing the 7.3L Crapzilla…
We just had one junk out of the crate last week and had to replace it after only a few minutes of run time.

• Wow
It’s extremely common in my area for guys to get weighed. My mother works in with a local PD in the municipal building and they’ll run operations with the state troopers looking for over weight vehicles.

With the police actively looking for over weight trucks they know the gvw of my truck is 14k and typically how dump trailers work the weight is the same as the length. 6x10 are typically 10k trailers 7x12 are typically 12k trailers. Mine is a 7x14 and I had it de rated from 14k to 12k so I could legally tow it. I think those are my two main issues.

Reactions: roostercogburn98