• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gathering valid data for DSF

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Hello,

I have shot now twice out to 700m or more and it seems my drops are not consistent.

The temps have varied some (but I have good MV temp table) and wind conditions from +10mph crossing winds to totally calm, ranges being in totally different places.

At the first range I fixed my DSF to [email protected] and at the second range it proved to be [email protected] (8.7mil to 8.5mil)

I also have doubts that the suppressor / barrel heat might play an issue here too, any concrete advice on that? I'd normally rather keep it out of question but I freaking blew it when I accidentally checked my first zero with wrong temperature set at 5C° (real temp was 23 to 25C) to see how 6.5cm was affected by changing temp, for my buddy. And after sending 10 rounds over a mil high I finally rechecked Kestrel inputs..

The main question:
    How many range trips / dope records do you suggest I make before applying DSF? I just figured I trust the bullet but I am afraid there are or might be too many variances at play. I know that producing good dope in a hurry is a bad move in itself.. I have now erased the first session DSF entry and will continue to next session with this latest DSF. I would really like to get first round hit at 1moa target the next time.

At the beginning I assumed that I would get correct elevation at 700 with the 800m set DSF. But this was not the case. So most likely my first session had its data ruined by winds or something else. I could not do paper on the first trip so it is easy to get bad data without good group to really see the group.

Anyways, after the fiddling with temps I got 8.7 and still got it too high. So I aimed 1mil low and spotted a hit at 8.5mil.

For some reason I proceeded to dial 8.1 and then shot a group on the paper, obviously striking 0.4 mils low.
    I initially shot 3 but felt I held one too low so I shot 1 more, we were running out of time and in big hurry already.

Next time I am definitely bringing a chrono for the 100m zero check.

One necessary pic from the range and the 700m target:
    20210726_212854.jpg

IMG_20210726_220918_620.jpg

Last edited:
    It seems that the quickly dropping temp was also a part of this, the difference between 20C and 23C is 0.15mil.
    This really becomes a very scientific at this range, next time after chronoing I will see if my latest DSF gives me a correct elevation for the enviromentals and if not then I will just restart it with precisly recorded data.