• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gauging interest - Group Buy on Bartlein Carbon fiber barrels (400ModBB liner, Full Bull)

Solid7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
I have recently inquired about the possibility of putting together a group buy on Barlein Carbon fiber barrels, caliber 6.5mm, with 400ModBB liners. These would be straight barrels, full bull. (absolutely no taper)

These are not cheap, and there is a wait time of 6+ months. However, the power of the group buy, is to leverage a discount on the development of the contour. (which they currently don't offer) There is a small discount, as well. It's not much, but we all know what the state of things is, at the moment.

I have been given a price of $955 (that price was based on an order of 10 barrels, could go down more with quantity). They would normally be $1115 for a one-off.

If you are interested, hit me up, either by PM, or in this thread. I'll let this run for a couple of weeks, and see where it goes.

FWIW the finish on the CF Bart barrels isn't quite as refined as the PR. Im sure they shoot. Just sayin. Im holding off until that is worked out a little better.

Reactions: toader
FWIW the finish on the CF Bart barrels isn't quite as refined as the PR. Im sure they shoot. Just sayin. Im holding off until that is worked out a little better.
I'm actually most interested in that nice liner. I can respect what you're saying - but one of the other things that plays into this, is that I can't get a PR in a straight barrel, and even if I could, lead time would be somewhere around double what the Bartlein would be. At least, according to my last conversation with both companies.

PR said, straight up, they weren't interested in making a straight barrel. They said that they stopped offering them in 6.5 under 20", because they couldn't sell them. OK, that's fair. But I've seen a few people asking for this, so I figured what the heck. Let's give it a try.

Fuck it, I’ll be in for one for fun.

count me in. would they do any twist rate? Looking for a .308 barrel in 1:8 twist for a 300PRC build.

count me in. would they do any twist rate? Looking for a .308 barrel in 1:8 twist for a 300PRC build.
I anticipated this being asked, and have raised the question. However, I don't yet have the answer. I will post the answer when I have it.

Reactions: Needaheart
Alright... let's get a general idea here. What kind of lengths are we looking for?

For myself, I'm looking for a shorty, because I can't get those easily everywhere else. So I'm in for like 16.5". What were the rest of you thinking?

I've been told that twist and caliber aren't a problem The only thing that becomes an issue, are the parameters surrounding the wrapping and finishing of the blank. So we need to either have set length, or at least enough of a sample size to ask a qualified question, with regards to the matter. But to summarize, the length DOES matter.

Prefer a 26” barrel for a 223AI build for if and when AI decides to release their 223 bolts. But I’m willing to compromise if need be if the general consensus sways towards shorter barrels.

Alright... let's get a general idea here. What kind of lengths are we looking for?

For myself, I'm looking for a shorty, because I can't get those easily everywhere else. So I'm in for like 16.5". What were the rest of you thinking?

I've been told that twist and caliber aren't a problem The only thing that becomes an issue, are the parameters surrounding the wrapping and finishing of the blank. So we need to either have set length, or at least enough of a sample size to ask a qualified question, with regards to the matter. But to summarize, the length DOES matter.
24" or 26" for me. Thanks again for taking this on!

Reactions: Krob95
Gain twists?
Up to 1" = + $40.00
1" - 5" = +$160.00 (only recommended for solid copper bullets)
Over 5" is a whole lot more, and unless the question is asked, I don't see much need to address it.

Just got a follow up communication, stating that due to an influx of new work, lead times are going up, and NO gain twists OVER 1" are being accepted, until further notice.

Last edited:
I have recently inquired about the possibility of putting together a group buy on Barlein Carbon fiber barrels, caliber 6.5mm, with 400ModBB liners. These would be straight barrels, full bull. (absolutely no taper)

These are not cheap, and there is a wait time of 6+ months. However, the power of the group buy, is to leverage a discount on the development of the contour. (which they currently don't offer) There is a small discount, as well. It's not much, but we all know what the state of things is, at the moment.

I have been given a price of $955 (that price was based on an order of 10 barrels, could go down more with quantity). They would normally be $1115 for a one-off.

If you are interested, hit me up, either by PM, or in this thread. I'll let this run for a couple of weeks, and see where it goes.
Will these be 1.2" or 1.25" diameter?

Thanks.

Will these be 1.2" or 1.25" diameter?

Thanks.
Yes.

Not to be a wise guy, but that will need to be a concensus that is reached. There won't be multiple diameters. I typically assume that they go 1.25", but that's all it would be - an assumption.

If I'm buying a CF barrel, I want as much material as they'll give me.

Reactions: Needaheart
I'm not loving the lead times for this. This might be a better idea at another time.

Reactions: Krob95
And you can find PR blanks for $799...Sometimes slightly less.

And you can find PR blanks for $799...Sometimes slightly less.
Sure. But I wouldn't choose a PR over a Bartlein with a 400ModBB liner. YMMV. Not only that, you can't get PR blanks with zero taper any longer.

That being said, lead times are almost a year, at present. If I can get a commitment for 12 barrels, I'll see it through. But I have a hard time believing that every person who orders is going to be patient enough to wait it out, without backing out. Am I wrong? Please let me know. It would be a HUGE disservice to Bartlein, if I put together a build list, and even ONE person, who knowingly ordered with a long lead, decided to change their mind.

Sure. But I wouldn't choose a PR over a Bartlein with a 400ModBB liner. YMMV. Not only that, you can't get PR blanks with zero taper any longer.

That being said, lead times are almost a year, at present. If I can get a commitment for 12 barrels, I'll see it through. But I have a hard time believing that every person who orders is going to be patient enough to wait it out, without backing out. Am I wrong? Please let me know. It would be a HUGE disservice to Bartlein, if I put together a build list, and even ONE person, who knowingly ordered with a long lead, decided to change their mind.
I'm still in for one. 1) You wouldn't normally be able to get this, and 2) any custom order for barrels would take at least 10 months anyway. PR is taking 10 months for their regular barrels when you place an order. Maybe have people pay Bartlein up front or at least a non refundable deposit?

Maybe have people pay Bartlein up front or at least a non refundable deposit?
Oh, that's going to be a minimum. Everyone will be reminded to have thought this over very hard before committing. There is tooling and setup that is expensed into this. It's not a common offering.

Oh, that's going to be a minimum. Everyone will be reminded to have thought this over very hard before committing. There is tooling and setup that is expensed into this. It's not a common offering.
Count me in. Thanks again for even offering to do this regardless if it happens or not. Great idea. I might even contact Bartlein for a one off of this if this doesn't happen.

Count me in. Thanks again for even offering to do this regardless if it happens or not. Great idea. I might even contact Bartlein for a one off of this if this doesn't happen.
I'm gonna let this run for a bit longer, and then will see how many takers I get. Once I feel like I've got enough to launch an order, I'll get hard commitments, as well as all of the pertinent info.

Stay tuned.

Deposit or up front while we wait?

Deposit or up front while we wait?
Yes. How much, and the details thereof, will be based on number of orders.

But again, I can't stress enough - consider it non-refundable, going in. I will provide (to all buyers) proof of payment to Bartlein, after receipt. But if there is even a slight chance that you may back out later, I implore you (you as in anyone) not to commit to buy.

I'm officially pulling the plug on this. If anyone else wants to take it over, I'll give you the contacts. But I just don't think it's a good idea right now. Bartlein has plenty of work, lead times are a year or more, and I just don't think that everybody is gonna end up happy. That's my intuition. Let's shelf this, fellas.

Sorry. I do appreciate all of you who replied. Under different circumstances, this would have been a piece of cake.

Reactions: Stache
I would welcome the task of picking up where you left off. I have been wanting to start a 27 or 28 nosler build.

Is anyone still interested?

Reactions: Philys21