• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes GDI P-ROM L vs SPUHR

MisterMoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Dayton, OH
www.facebook.com
I have a GAP-10 on order and I'm trying to decide what mount to go with.

Did a search and didn't come up with much.

Pros and Cons please.

I'm mounting a S&B 3-20 PMII.

Never owned a GDI, though I've heard nothing but good things about them. I do have a SPUHR on my OBR 7.62, and really like it. Although you didn't mention them. I also use NEAR Alpha mounts, and have nothing but praise for them too. Good luck with your selection.

I too use the Near Alpha mount and I think it is the best mount going, but that is just my opinion. Whilst the Spuhr and GDI mounts may be pretty decent, I have to be honest and this is only my opinion, but I think they are way overpriced for what they are. I mean, over 400 to 500 bucks for an aluminum mount? I just don't see the value, especially in the GDI, but like I said, this is just my opinion.

I too use the Near Alpha mount and I think it is the best mount going, but that is just my opinion. Whilst the Spuhr and GDI mounts may be pretty decent, I have to be honest and this is only my opinion, but I think they are way overpriced for what they are. I mean, over 400 to 500 bucks for an aluminum mount? I just don't see the value, especially in the GDI, but like I said, this is just my opinion.

Hold a Spuhr mount and you will know why. I agree they are pricey but when I was researching scope mounts last year someone said something like are you really going to cheap out on a cheap mount (couldn't think of what to say) with that expensive rifle and optic? I agreed and looked for something. First time I opened the box the Spuhr came in I knew it was a work of art.
I really like the fact that I can add a red dot at a 45* off my Leupold mk6 and that's what I did. You can also add another mount for NV/Thermals. The mount is just so modular its the only thing I will run from now on.
There is other mounts out there I am sure that are great but Hakan does an outstanding job at designing new and innovative products.
Just follow him on Facebook and you will see on the daily what he is inventing. I could go on and on but his work speaks for him self.

GDI P-ROM L vs SPUHR

I'm not interested in Near Alpha, or any other mount that isn't listed in the op. I know Spuhr is awesome, and I know GDi is awesome. I just want a comparison from anyone that has used both. I like the .1 MOA return to zero QD the GDI mount has, and I like the robustness and configurability of the Spuhr.

Anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have both. I have Spuhr mounts on two AI guns and a 0 moa cantilever mount for a 7.62 gas gun. I also have two 0 moa GDI mounts for my AR platforms. Both great manufacturers. I really like the Spuhr mounts on the flat rail AI guns, it allows me to put a cant on the scope. Also,I don't have to hang a bunch of crap off my guns. The integral level is great for longer distance shooting and I have QD ACI mounts on all of my Spurh mounts so I don't have to buy a bunch of ACIs or leave them on the guns when I don't need them. I don't shoot with ACIs that much but I can pop one on in a second. The rings allow you to see both the elevation and windage turrets better than standard rings. The mounts return to zero if you torque them the same way every time and it only takes about 30 sec to remove and re-torque a Spuhr. All the Spuhr mounts that I have came with a leveling wedge, I tried them but I still like feeler gauges better for mounting. To use the integral level the scope base has to be aligned correctly with the scope reticle. One problem with the wider ring sections is that they can limit your scope mounting fore and aft. For a 7.62 gas gun the Spuhr cantilever is fine but for .556 sized guns I can't get the scope far enough forward to where I like it.

That is where the GDIs come in. They have a more standard size ring so you can get the scope further forward. The quality is top notch on the GDI. I really was impressed when I got the first one in the mail and I really like the fact that the base is all one milled piece, not a bolted together assembly with weird sideways rings that obscure the elevation knob. I have tried pretty much all the major QD systems on the market and the GDI is the best in my opinion with ADM a close second. I swap between the two GDIs with MK 6 1-6x scopes with different CMR rets for different ammo and an Aimpoint micro. They return to zero great. If I didn't have a use for QD I wouldn't use them. The QD assembly make the mounts wider than standard rings. I don't run any secondary sights or anything off either manufacturers rings so I can't comment on those uses.
Both the setups are pricy but the GDIs are astronomical now. The Spuhrs are pricy too but the level adds value if you were going to buy one for other rings anyway. Both ring sets are unique and it all depends on what features you attach value to.
Hope this helps.

I have both. I have Spuhr mounts on two AI guns and a 0 moa cantilever mount for a 7.62 gas gun. I also have two 0 moa GDI mounts for my AR platforms. Both great manufacturers. I really like the Spuhr mounts on the flat rail AI guns, it allows me to put a cant on the scope. Also,I don't have to hang a bunch of crap off my guns. The integral level is great for longer distance shooting and I have QD ACI mounts on all of my Spurh mounts so I don't have to buy a bunch of ACIs or leave them on the guns when I don't need them. I don't shoot with ACIs that much but I can pop one on in a second. The rings allow you to see both the elevation and windage turrets better than standard rings. The mounts return to zero if you torque them the same way every time and it only takes about 30 sec to remove and re-torque a Spuhr. All the Spuhr mounts that I have came with a leveling wedge, I tried them but I still like feeler gauges better for mounting. To use the integral level the scope base has to be aligned correctly with the scope reticle. One problem with the wider ring sections is that they can limit your scope mounting fore and aft. For a 7.62 gas gun the Spuhr cantilever is fine but for .556 sized guns I can't get the scope far enough forward to where I like it.

That is where the GDIs come in. They have a more standard size ring so you can get the scope further forward. The quality is top notch on the GDI. I really was impressed when I got the first one in the mail and I really like the fact that the base is all one milled piece, not a bolted together assembly with weird sideways rings that obscure the elevation knob. I have tried pretty much all the major QD systems on the market and the GDI is the best in my opinion with ADM a close second. I swap between the two GDIs with MK 6 1-6x scopes with different CMR rets for different ammo and an Aimpoint micro. They return to zero great. If I didn't have a use for QD I wouldn't use them. The QD assembly make the mounts wider than standard rings. I don't run any secondary sights or anything off either manufacturers rings so I can't comment on those uses.
Both the setups are pricy but the GDIs are astronomical now. The Spuhrs are pricy too but the level adds value if you were going to buy one for other rings anyway. Both ring sets are unique and it all depends on what features you attach value to.
Hope this helps.

Thank you. Just what I was looking for.
I plan on switching out optics frequently so the GDI seems to be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

GDI P-ROM L-Model (Rifle Optic Mount) 30mm 0 MOA or 25 MOA.
Here is a link to GDI P-ROM L-Model mounts
gdi-mount1.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

@ Mike CS Tactical...Hey Buddy, made the mistake of ordering my GDI P-ROM L-Model and MAPS directly from GDI this past May 14. GDI charged my card, emailed an invoice, but haven't heard a peep or seen any product. And they won't return any emails. I know they're probably busy building these things for folks that need them more than I...but do you know any better way to contact GDI than email? Thanks!